You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-14 04:41:20

vanja_z

Mesa 11.2.2 breaks Intel graphics

Hi guys,

Updating from mesa-11.2.1 to mesa-11.2.2 results in several programs on my machine crashing. For example paraview gives the following error.

libGL error: unable to load driver: i965_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: i965
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

I have checked that these files exist,

/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/i965_dri.so
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/swrast_dri.so

but I don't really know how to contiue debugging this especially since I'm in the middle of working on a very urgent project sad

On a side note this is really annoying because about once a year I run,

rm /var/cache/pacman/pkg/*

when my disk starts getting full. That day was yesterday! Luckily I have another computer that I could pull mesa-11.2.1 from but that computer didn't have
mesa-libgl so now I am running mismatched versions but luckily that gets me back up and running to work on a very urgent project that is due next week.

On a side note, this sort of thing has happened to me a few times over the many years that I've been running arch, perhaps I should write a script that keeps the latest cached packages instead of deleting them all. Is there any simple way to do this with pacman?

Regards,
Vanja

#2 2016-05-14 05:33:04

TheChickenMan

Re: Mesa 11.2.2 breaks Intel graphics

paccache -rvk1

There already is a command to clear the cache of all but the latest version of each package.
Also, you can still retrieve the package version you cleared from the package archive.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux_Archive

If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet.
Niels Bohr

#3 2016-05-14 06:20:15

vanja_z

Thank you for this information TheChickenMan! That will be very useful!

#4 2016-05-16 23:10:33

vanja_z

Just an update, the same programs work fine with Nvidia graphics on a different machine. I still haven't got any fix for this if anyone could help or point me in the right direction.

#5 2016-05-18 10:16:18

vanja_z

I have some more info about this problem and a possible workaround.

The library /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/i915_dri.so from mesa-11.2.2-1 now depends on CXXABI_1.3.9 while the previous version (mesa-11.2.1-1) only depended on CXXABI_1.3. I am checking this by running for example,

strings /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/i915_dri.so | grep CXXABI

This can cause problems for non-Arch programs which attempt to use their own standard C library. For example, two programs I need to use for work are Paraview and ICEM CFD, which both of which use their own libstdc++.so.6 that is not compatible with CXXABI_1.3.9. I suspect this is also the problem with MATLAB as dapilori reported in another thread.

The workaround I have used is to force the Arch libstdc++.so.6 with LD_PRELOAD, for example to launch ICEM CFD I now run,

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 icemcfd

Does anyone have any advice for moving forward? I am worried overriding libstdc++.so.6 like this may not work for some programs in the future.

#6 2016-05-18 13:25:55

Lone_Wolf

libstdc++ comes from gcc-libs / gcc-multilib-libs .

Those programs need to be rebuild against gcc 6.1 to solve the issue.
If you have access to the sourcecode ,you can do that yourself.
Incase they come as binaries, report the issue upstream and ask them to update their code to work with GCC 6.1

(next fedora release will also have gcc 6.1, so it's not just  AL users that will benefit from the update).

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2016-05-18 13:29:03)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#7 2016-05-22 18:37:47

jawbonegroove

identical messages trying to run steam. libgl complaining about drivers i don't use. none of the "usual tricks" (like LD_PRELOAD) are working.

downgraded as a workaround.

#8 2016-06-01 05:50:17

vanja_z

jawbonegroove wrote:

identical messages trying to run steam. libgl complaining about drivers i don't use. none of the "usual tricks" (like LD_PRELOAD) are working.

downgraded as a workaround.

I also couldn't get steam to work with the usual tricks sad

Lone_Wolf I appreciate you are trying to help however the obvious solution of recompiling and linking against local libraries is not possible since we are dealing with proprietary software that ships with all of it's own libraries including libstdc++. Since they don't ship the video driver that is where the ABI incompatibility problem arises.

Unfortunately there is no fixing this. ANSYS, Inc., Valve, etc. will simply say "Unsupported OS", Arch devs will simply say "Unsupported program", upstream gcc and mesa devs will simply say "Unsupported configuration".

edit: I didn't realise that Steam is in the Arch repos now days, does this mean that there is some hope of a fix?

Last edited by vanja_z (2016-06-01 05:53:34)

#9 2016-06-01 09:29:39

V1del
Forum Moderator

@Vanja_z
Different problem with similar simptoms, the general way to get steam to work is one of the following https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/St … ime_issues (with from what I gather the last one, deleting specific library files that are problematic and hoping that there haven't been any ABI breaks, has been the most succcessful method ), that steam is in the arch repos has no bearing on this either way.

#10 2016-06-02 15:39:51

vanja_z

Thanks a lot V1del, after reading the wiki,

LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libgpg-error.so' steam

works nicely for me. I guess I was being melodramatic...

Board footer