You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-22 23:03:08

GreenBackbone

ristretto segmentation fault

Greetings:
I have installed arch with xfce, and i am encountering the segmentation fault (core dump) error
However if i start ristretto with sudo it works flawlessly..
I do have intel-ucode installed and detected by grub-mkconfig..
Any ideas?
Thank you in advance

it may have something to do with me not having permission to create a trash folder!?
Unable to create trash dir with permission denied when trying to send a file to trash

i should mention this is a fresh install

Last edited by GreenBackbone (2016-05-23 01:31:32)

Peace, Love and Blessings to All!

#2 2016-05-23 14:05:24

Starfish

Re: ristretto segmentation fault

Just to get you right: Starting ristretto as a normal user, you get the seg fault, while as root, it works. Is that correct?

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present." - Master Oogway

#3 2016-05-23 14:48:02

ewaller
Administrator

What file system is used for home?  Are any of the folders in ~ owned by root (including 'dot' files [hidden files])?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2016-05-23 17:37:43

GreenBackbone

Starfish wrote:

Just to get you right: Starting ristretto as a normal user, you get the seg fault, while as root, it works. Is that correct?

that was correct

ewaller wrote:

What file system is used for home?  Are any of the folders in ~ owned by root (including 'dot' files [hidden files])?

all folders under ~/ are owned by me, exept for .local/share wich was root, i took ownership of .local and all subfolders and files
and now i was able to create and send files to the trash, and now ristretto works as regular user normally.

thankyou for your responses but taking ownership of .local fixed my problem. this was weird, i've installed arch many times following the begginers guide
and the general recomendations with out problems, its the first time i encounter this permission problem after a fresh install.. weird, but works now.
thank you for your time.

Edit: my home file system is ext4

Last edited by GreenBackbone (2016-05-23 17:39:33)

#5 2016-05-23 17:44:33

ewaller
Administrator

<soapBox>
What is likely to have happened is that local was created by root when you ran xorg (as root) when you first got started.   Alternately, when you ran something graphical as root, it changed the ownership for .local.    One of the many hazards of running xorg and graphical applications as root.
</soapBox>

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2016-05-23 18:15:13

GreenBackbone

ewaller wrote:

What is likely to have happened is that local was created by root when you ran xorg (as root) when you first got started.   Alternately, when you ran something graphical as root, it changed the ownership for .local.    One of the many hazards of running xorg and graphical applications as root.

very well, thankyou for the info, your help is greatly appreciated.

Board footer