You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-23 09:10:07

syco

failed command: READ DMA

Hello,
so this happened to me, I googled it and there are lots of threads, some suggest to update the bios, some that the hd is dying. But I'm not sure they are applicable to my case.
Here's a list of the actions I took and a picture of the errors:
(I don't know why the forum rotates my picture https://i.imgsafe.org/a1c33ee.jpg)

1 get the hd and plug it on a usb bay
  2 get lots of io errors, hd hanging while reading
  3 assume hd was dead, buy a new hd and restore an old backup
  4 discover pc wouldn't poweron with new hd (no beeping, main led on, hd spinning)
  5 start unplugging components
  6 manage to poweron without one ram stick
  7 test ram sticks (2) separately and discover one wouldn't make my pc poweron
  8 replace such ram with a spare one
  9 poweron and be happy (for 24 hours)
10 get again the same errors
11 reboot, discover pc wouldn't poweron again, same main led on, hd spinning, no beeping
12 start unplugging components
13 give up when there's nothing else to unplug

When I say it wouldn't poweron I mean screen remains black, no bios, only some leds on.
I had a second spare ram, but the trick didn't work the second time.
In the meantime I used ddrescue to recover my data from the dead hd and discovered it's not dead at all. I recovered 100% of it.
I don't really have any tool to test the motherboard, but can I assume that's the problem?

Please If you have any suggestion on my next move I'll be happy to listen.

Thanks.

Mod note: Removed large image. See the etiquette for acceptable image sizes -- WorMzy

Last edited by WorMzy (2016-05-23 10:17:14)

#2 2016-05-23 11:38:13

Buddlespit

Re: failed command: READ DMA

Not being at your location to test things myself makes for a poor troubleshooting experience. It sounds like either the power supply or the motherboard is going bad. I'm doubting that the cpu is failing, but it is an option. Try a different power supply first before focusing in on the motherboard.

#3 2016-05-23 19:28:08

qifei9

Re: failed command: READ DMA

Similar errors happened to me today on a btrfs filesystem in a SSD of my laptop.

Board footer