You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-24 23:37:44

rast1234

xorg.conf monitor name

Hello. I am trying to make some xrandr settings permanent, and i can not make xorg.conf do this. Currently i have this file: /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-lgtv.conf

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "TEST"
    Option "Panning" "2304x1296"
    Option "TransformationMatrix" "1.2 0 0 0 1.2 0 0 0 1"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Intel Graphics"
	Driver	"intel"
	Option	"AccelMethod"	"sna"
	Option	"TearFree"	"true"
	Option	"Monitor-HDMI1"	"TEST"
EndSection

My setup is: Intel graphics, HDMI1 output, LG flat TV.

At first, i started with Monitor section without any idea of what to put in Identifier (tried HDMI1, Monitor0, etc.). Then i googled and compiled Device section based on archwiki and some samples from random places. It still does not work. I still don't understand how to make Monitor section match my HDMI1. Can anyone clarify this to me please?

Options that i need to set:
panning, transformation - for HiDPI with factor less than 200%
tearfree - obviously because i see ugly tearing
full RGB range - failed to find an xorg.conf option for this, i need full range
audio - failed to find an xorg.conf option for this, i need it to be on

Also, i've seen suggestions like "don't touch xorg.conf, everything is detected automatically nowadays". Maybe there is more modern way to set these settings permanently? Of course it is always possible to run xrandr blah-blah at startup, but is it the right way to do it?

Any suggestions are welcome!

#2 2016-05-24 23:59:51

netadmin

Re: xorg.conf monitor name

rast1234 wrote:

Also, i've seen suggestions like "don't touch xorg.conf, everything is detected automatically nowadays". Maybe there is more modern way to set these settings permanently? Of course it is always possible to run xrandr blah-blah at startup, but is it the right way to do it?

Yep that is what I do. Get rid of xorg as you mentioned and place xrandr in .xinitrc

take a look here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xr … figuration

Last edited by netadmin (2016-05-25 00:05:16)

#3 2016-05-25 18:39:20

rast1234

Re: xorg.conf monitor name

Thank you for pointing to this very section. I was aware of this article but missed the part with DM tips to run xrandr early at startup to prevent display flickering and messed DM resolution.

UPD: finally i made a setup and described it here http://unix.stackexchange.com/a/285555/171928, in case if someone wants to do something similar.

Last edited by rast1234 (2016-05-26 00:02:22)

Board footer