You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-25 12:32:31

napz

Can't get internet connection work before installation process

Sorry for my English if I will make mistakes.
I'm successfully installed arch linux on different pcs and laptops.
Now I want install it on my asus x750L. There is problem with this laptop - wire network card is broken but wifi is working under windows 10 which is second OS on this pc.
I've made usb with bootable arch linux iso and start installation by beginners guide.
Internet connection is required for arch linux installation but I can't connect to the internet through wifi.
When I type wifi-menu answer is:
invalid interface specification

I can't copy/past because all these data are shown into the installation process, so I will type shortly

lspci:

Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43142 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)
Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge
Kernel modules: bcma

Can anyone help me get wifi working?

#2 2016-05-25 12:52:42

Fuyune

Re: Can't get internet connection work before installation process

previous post pyntux posted something there that could interesting for you, maybe you check it out

#3 2016-05-27 19:06:35

napz

Fuyune wrote:

previous post pyntux posted something there that could interesting for you, maybe you check it out

thank you!
I'll try it but it's really complicate method of installing, I'm not sure if I can do this.

Last edited by napz (2016-05-27 19:07:09)

#4 2016-05-27 19:21:34

ewaller
Administrator

My prefered method here is to USB tether a phone.  Once the phone is in that mode, all you need do is run dhcpcd as the phone will appear as a wired connection.
The phone will perform NAT forwarding.  If you are on your carrier network, you will use carrier data, so be careful of charges.  If the phone is on wifi, you will use the free, fast wifi smile

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2016-05-28 10:46:56

HisDudeness

swaraj and matmaster got that wireless controller to work by installing broadcom-wl-dkms package from the AUR.

If you've never encountered the AUR before, it is widely recommended to read the wiki pages on AUR and makepkg before you proceed. The first is a repository of not officially supported packages, each maintained by an Arch Linux user, and the second is pacman's tool for compiling packages from source, using information written in a file named PKGBUILD

Since you'll be needing to download a snapshot of the package, and install its dependencies as well, either you download from a computer which can access the internet a snapshot of broadcom-wl-dkms and do the compiling alone on your ASUS X750L (not recommended because you'd be needing to download all the dependencies you miss using ABS to later compile them - some more experienced user correct me if I'm missing something) or, if you have a smartphone, tether it like ewaller said.

For an Android phone it's easy. You just plug it in your computer via USB, then go in Settings → Wireless & Networks → Tethering & portable hotspot and activate USB tethering. Then do

$ ip link

You should see a long name starting with 'enp' as last interface. That is your phone tethering via USB. Just do

# dhcpcd %interface name

Last edited by HisDudeness (2016-05-28 10:48:23)

The Dude minds.

Board footer