You are not logged in.

#601 2016-02-12 09:51:53

mlq
Member
Registered: 2011-03-15
Posts: 171
Website

Re: zathura - a document viewer

Hi!

jrl wrote:

Is there any way to copy text from a PDF in Zathura?

Selecting text with mouse results in Zathura claiming "Copied text to selection primary", but I haven't found any way to access that text, as if nothing is actually copied at all.

You can define the 'selection-clipboard' to 'primary' or 'clipboard'!

All the best

Offline

#602 2016-02-12 10:20:32

Docbroke
Member
From: India
Registered: 2015-06-13
Posts: 1,098

Re: zathura - a document viewer

After installation my ~/.config/zathura is empty and there is no /etc/zathurarc, where do I find config file?


Arch is home!
i3 rofi w3m vimb ranger vim mutt mpd pass

Offline

#603 2016-02-12 10:29:09

mlq
Member
Registered: 2011-03-15
Posts: 171
Website

Re: zathura - a document viewer

Hi!

Docbroke wrote:

After installation my ~/.config/zathura is empty and there is no /etc/zathurarc, where do I find config file?

Just create it!

Offline

#604 2016-02-13 06:49:05

Docbroke
Member
From: India
Registered: 2015-06-13
Posts: 1,098

Re: zathura - a document viewer

thanks, I created ~/.config/zathura/zathurarc and added first entry,

set selection-clipboard clipboard

Arch is home!
i3 rofi w3m vimb ranger vim mutt mpd pass

Offline

#605 2016-02-16 14:39:37

jrl
Member
Registered: 2016-02-12
Posts: 15

Re: zathura - a document viewer

Docbroke wrote:

thanks, I created ~/.config/zathura/zathurarc and added first entry,

set selection-clipboard clipboard

Did this actually work? I also added that line to my zathurarc, but Zathura still copies selection to "selection primary" and copied text is not accessible.

Last edited by jrl (2016-02-16 14:39:53)

Offline

#606 2016-02-16 17:46:58

Docbroke
Member
From: India
Registered: 2015-06-13
Posts: 1,098

Re: zathura - a document viewer

jrl wrote:
Docbroke wrote:

thanks, I created ~/.config/zathura/zathurarc and added first entry,

set selection-clipboard clipboard

Did this actually work? I also added that line to my zathurarc, but Zathura still copies selection to "selection primary" and copied text is not accessible.


Yes, it did work.


Arch is home!
i3 rofi w3m vimb ranger vim mutt mpd pass

Offline

#607 2016-02-19 00:11:22

halocaridina
Member
From: US
Registered: 2014-07-21
Posts: 75

Re: zathura - a document viewer

Dear All,

I'm looking to see whether anyone else is experiencing this issue. Similar to the unresolved post #327 in this thread, pressing <Tab><Tab> to autocomplete paths or filenames is failing for me. And I was using this feature just a few weeks ago fine.

I last updated zathura on 15 Feb 2016:

[2016-02-15 18:01] [ALPM] upgraded zathura (0.3.4-4 -> 0.3.5-1)
[2016-02-15 18:01] [ALPM] upgraded zathura-pdf-mupdf (0.2.9-2 -> 0.3.0-1)

but hadn't open a PDF since then. Index wil autocomplete (i.e., a colon followed by o <Tab><Tab> will offer the options of :open or :offset (so the Tab key is functional in zathura as well as terminals); but like I said, once :open is autocompleted, no paths or filenames are offered for completion.

Here is my zathurarc file, where Tab is defined:

# GENERAL BEHAVIORS
set font "PragmataPro 9"
set adjust-open width
set scroll-wrap false
set abort-clear-search true
set highlight-color "#FFFF00"
set highlight-active-color "#FF0000"
set database "null"
# COLORIZE THE PDF ITSELF
# set recolor-darkcolor "#93A1A1"
# set recolor-lightcolor "#002B36"
# set recolor true
# COLORS FOR FG/BG & BARS
set statusbar-bg "#000000"
set statusbar-fg "#BABDB6"
set default-fg "#FFFFFF"
set default-bg "#000000"
set inputbar-bg "#396EB4"
set inputbar-fg "#FFFFFF"
# KEYBINDINGS
map a adjust_window best-fit
map z adjust_window width
map p rotate rotate-cw
map u reload
map f follow
map <Tab> toggle_index
map <Return> toggle_inputbar
map <S-Return> toggle_statusbar
map <Space> toggle_fullscreen
map <C-q> quit
map [fullscreen] a adjust_window best-fit
map [fullscreen] z adjust_window width
map [fullscreen] p rotate rotate-cw
map [fullscreen] u reload
map [fullscreen] f follow
map [fullscreen] <Tab> toggle_index
map [fullscreen] <Return> toggle_inputbar
map [fullscreen] <S-Return> toggle_statusbar
map [fullscreen] <Space> toggle_fullscreen
map [fullscreen] <C-q> quit
map [index] e navigate_index expand
map [index] c navigate_index collapse
map [index] E navigate_index expand-all
map [index] C navigate_index collapse-all

Only warning I receive when starting zathura from a terminal and double Tab is the following (and I say a warning since I've seen it when the expected behavior was returned):

** (zathura:25597): CRITICAL **: zathura_db_get_recent_files: assertion 'ZATHURA_IS_DATABASE(db)' failed

** (zathura:25597): CRITICAL **: zathura_db_get_recent_files: assertion 'ZATHURA_IS_DATABASE(db)' failed

** (zathura:25597): CRITICAL **: zathura_db_get_recent_files: assertion 'ZATHURA_IS_DATABASE(db)' failed

** (zathura:25597): CRITICAL **: zathura_db_get_recent_files: assertion 'ZATHURA_IS_DATABASE(db)' failed

So, is anyone else seeing this behavior?

Thanks in advance,

Halocaridina

Last edited by halocaridina (2016-02-19 00:13:21)


4X Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7-8870 @ 2.40GHz; 256GiB; 11TB EXT4; SL6.8
2X Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 @ 2.70GHz; 256GiB; 3.4TB EXT4; SL6.8
Thinkpad X250; Broadwell-ULT Core i5; 8GiB, 525GB Crucial_CT525MX3; Arch
Thinkpad T440S; Haswell-ULT Core i7; 12GiB, 512GB SanDisk X210; Arch

Offline

#608 2016-02-19 09:05:50

sebastinas
Member
Registered: 2013-11-19
Posts: 21

Re: zathura - a document viewer

halocaridina wrote:

Dear All,

I'm looking to see whether anyone else is experiencing this issue. Similar to the unresolved post #327 in this thread, pressing <Tab><Tab> to autocomplete paths or filenames is failing for me. And I was using this feature just a few weeks ago fine.

I last updated zathura on 15 Feb 2016:

[2016-02-15 18:01] [ALPM] upgraded zathura (0.3.4-4 -> 0.3.5-1)
[2016-02-15 18:01] [ALPM] upgraded zathura-pdf-mupdf (0.2.9-2 -> 0.3.0-1)

but hadn't open a PDF since then. Index wil autocomplete (i.e., a colon followed by o <Tab><Tab> will offer the options of :open or :offset (so the Tab key is functional in zathura as well as terminals); but like I said, once :open is autocompleted, no paths or filenames are offered for completion.

Here is my zathurarc file, where Tab is defined:

# GENERAL BEHAVIORS
set font "PragmataPro 9"
set adjust-open width
set scroll-wrap false
set abort-clear-search true
set highlight-color "#FFFF00"
set highlight-active-color "#FF0000"
set database "null"
# COLORIZE THE PDF ITSELF
# set recolor-darkcolor "#93A1A1"
# set recolor-lightcolor "#002B36"
# set recolor true
# COLORS FOR FG/BG & BARS
set statusbar-bg "#000000"
set statusbar-fg "#BABDB6"
set default-fg "#FFFFFF"
set default-bg "#000000"
set inputbar-bg "#396EB4"
set inputbar-fg "#FFFFFF"
# KEYBINDINGS
map a adjust_window best-fit
map z adjust_window width
map p rotate rotate-cw
map u reload
map f follow
map <Tab> toggle_index
map <Return> toggle_inputbar
map <S-Return> toggle_statusbar
map <Space> toggle_fullscreen
map <C-q> quit
map [fullscreen] a adjust_window best-fit
map [fullscreen] z adjust_window width
map [fullscreen] p rotate rotate-cw
map [fullscreen] u reload
map [fullscreen] f follow
map [fullscreen] <Tab> toggle_index
map [fullscreen] <Return> toggle_inputbar
map [fullscreen] <S-Return> toggle_statusbar
map [fullscreen] <Space> toggle_fullscreen
map [fullscreen] <C-q> quit
map [index] e navigate_index expand
map [index] c navigate_index collapse
map [index] E navigate_index expand-all
map [index] C navigate_index collapse-all

Only warning I receive when starting zathura from a terminal and double Tab is the following (and I say a warning since I've seen it when the expected behavior was returned):

** (zathura:25597): CRITICAL **: zathura_db_get_recent_files: assertion 'ZATHURA_IS_DATABASE(db)' failed

** (zathura:25597): CRITICAL **: zathura_db_get_recent_files: assertion 'ZATHURA_IS_DATABASE(db)' failed

** (zathura:25597): CRITICAL **: zathura_db_get_recent_files: assertion 'ZATHURA_IS_DATABASE(db)' failed

** (zathura:25597): CRITICAL **: zathura_db_get_recent_files: assertion 'ZATHURA_IS_DATABASE(db)' failed

So, is anyone else seeing this behavior?

I've fixed that in our develop branch ago. It's caused by 'set database "null"'.

Offline

#609 2016-02-22 11:00:19

likytau
Member
Registered: 2012-09-02
Posts: 133

Re: zathura - a document viewer

Looks like upstream mupdf-git has changed their API.

==> Starting build()...
pdf build options:
CFLAGS  = -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong -std=c99 -fPIC -pedantic -Wall -Wno-format-zero-length -pthread -I/usr/include/gtk-3.0 -I/usr/include/at-spi2-atk/2.0 -I/usr/include/at-spi-2.0 -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/include -I/usr/include/gtk-3.0 -I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/ -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/libdrm -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -pthread -I/usr/include/gtk-3.0 -I/usr/include/at-spi2-atk/2.0 -I/usr/include/at-spi-2.0 -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/include -I/usr/include/gtk-3.0 -I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/ -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/libdrm -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/json-c  -pthread -I/usr/include/gtk-3.0 -I/usr/include/at-spi2-atk/2.0 -I/usr/include/at-spi-2.0 -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/include -I/usr/include/gtk-3.0 -I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/ -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I/usr/include/json-c -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/libdrm -I/usr/include/libpng16
LDFLAGS = -Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro -fPIC
DFLAGS  = -g
CC      = cc
CC render.c
In file included from render.c:7:0:
plugin.h:24:3: error: unknown type name ‘fz_text_sheet’
   fz_text_sheet* sheet; /**< Text sheet */
   ^
plugin.h:25:3: error: unknown type name ‘fz_text_page’
   fz_text_page* text; /**< Page text */
   ^
Makefile:37: recipe for target 'render.o' failed
make: *** [render.o] Error 1

Just posting as a notification; The current release still has same API, so using mupdf instead of mupdf-git package solves the immediate problem.

Offline

#610 2016-02-23 12:32:18

halocaridina
Member
From: US
Registered: 2014-07-21
Posts: 75

Re: zathura - a document viewer

@sebastinas

Thank you for responding. Yes, I had seen that fix somewhere prior in this thread. But II would like to identify why my <Tab><Tab> autocomplete is now broken.

Again, is anyone else seeing the same issue of  <Tab><Tab> not autocompleting on the most current release (see post #607 above for details)? If its working for you, would you mind posting your config so I can compare it to mine to see if some other options are creating this issue.

Thank you in advance,

Halocaridina


4X Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7-8870 @ 2.40GHz; 256GiB; 11TB EXT4; SL6.8
2X Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 @ 2.70GHz; 256GiB; 3.4TB EXT4; SL6.8
Thinkpad X250; Broadwell-ULT Core i5; 8GiB, 525GB Crucial_CT525MX3; Arch
Thinkpad T440S; Haswell-ULT Core i7; 12GiB, 512GB SanDisk X210; Arch

Offline

#611 2016-02-23 12:38:47

sebastinas
Member
Registered: 2013-11-19
Posts: 21

Re: zathura - a document viewer

halocaridina wrote:

@sebastinas

Thank you for responding. Yes, I had seen that fix somewhere prior in this thread. But II would like to identify why my <Tab><Tab> autocomplete is now broken.

Again, is anyone else seeing the same issue of  <Tab><Tab> not autocompleting on the most current release (see post #607 above for details)? If its working for you, would you mind posting your config so I can compare it to mine to see if some other options are creating this issue.

Thank you in advance,

Halocaridina

Remove "set database 'null'" from your config until the fix is available in Arch.

Offline

#612 2016-02-24 00:13:53

halocaridina
Member
From: US
Registered: 2014-07-21
Posts: 75

Re: zathura - a document viewer

@sebastinas,

My apologies. I misread your original comment. Yes, you are correct, I commented out:

set database 'null'

from my zathurarc file and <Tab><Tab> autocomplete is functioning again.

Again, thank you.

Halocaridina

Last edited by halocaridina (2016-02-24 12:34:20)


4X Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7-8870 @ 2.40GHz; 256GiB; 11TB EXT4; SL6.8
2X Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 @ 2.70GHz; 256GiB; 3.4TB EXT4; SL6.8
Thinkpad X250; Broadwell-ULT Core i5; 8GiB, 525GB Crucial_CT525MX3; Arch
Thinkpad T440S; Haswell-ULT Core i7; 12GiB, 512GB SanDisk X210; Arch

Offline

#613 2016-02-24 11:38:21

science404
Member
Registered: 2015-06-21
Posts: 20

Re: zathura - a document viewer

When I open multiple PDFs at once from the command line, zathura opens multiple copies of some of the PDFs.  I find it happens when I open three or more files.  Has anyone experienced this behaviour?  I also get a warning "... repeated 2 times ...", but the command I launch does not repeat the filenames.

Last edited by science404 (2016-02-24 11:39:30)

Offline

#614 2016-02-24 11:49:36

sebastinas
Member
Registered: 2013-11-19
Posts: 21

Re: zathura - a document viewer

science404 wrote:

When I open multiple PDFs at once from the command line, zathura opens multiple copies of some of the PDFs.  I find it happens when I open three or more files.  Has anyone experienced this behaviour?  I also get a warning "... repeated 2 times ...", but the command I launch does not repeat the filenames.

This issues is fixed in 0.3.5.

Offline

#615 2016-02-26 11:25:31

jrl
Member
Registered: 2016-02-12
Posts: 15

Re: zathura - a document viewer

Docbroke wrote:
jrl wrote:
Docbroke wrote:

thanks, I created ~/.config/zathura/zathurarc and added first entry,

set selection-clipboard clipboard

Did this actually work? I also added that line to my zathurarc, but Zathura still copies selection to "selection primary" and copied text is not accessible.


Yes, it did work.

The problem were other entries that were before that line. Inserting it to the beginning of the config file fixed it.

Offline

#616 2016-04-11 15:40:19

geo909
Member
Registered: 2008-09-07
Posts: 295

Re: zathura - a document viewer

Hi,

Thanks for this great tool, zathura is my favouite pdf viewer.

Occasionally, in dual mode there will be a big gap between the two pages, like this.
I'm not sure what kind of pdfs make zathura behave that way, it happens very rarely.

Is there a way to change that?

Offline

#617 2016-04-11 22:14:09

Earnestly
Member
Registered: 2011-08-18
Posts: 805

Re: zathura - a document viewer

I believe an issue with gtk3 3.20.2 has caused these issues, along with many deprecation warnings.

:-(

Offline

#618 2016-04-12 07:41:09

sebastinas
Member
Registered: 2013-11-19
Posts: 21

Re: zathura - a document viewer

Earnestly wrote:

I believe an issue with gtk3 3.20.2 has caused these issues, along with many deprecation warnings.

The GTK+ 3.20 issues are fixed in girara-git. geo909's padding issues is unrelated.

Offline

#619 2016-04-12 13:16:06

fsterneder
Member
Registered: 2016-04-12
Posts: 1

Re: zathura - a document viewer

Anyone else has black borders instead of the color they set with "set default-bg"?

I guess it was after the update but downgrading didn't have any effect and the behavior it's consistent over all my four machines.

edit: okay I guess I should have checked the bugtracker at pwmt first :3

Downgrading GTK3 from gtk3-3.20.2-1 to gtk3-3.18.9-1 really did the trick.

Last edited by fsterneder (2016-04-12 13:24:18)

Offline

#620 2016-04-20 22:05:00

Next7
Member
Registered: 2011-12-07
Posts: 44

Re: zathura - a document viewer

Zathura still draws huge gaps between pages in pdf and djvu files produced through scanning. Pages of such files are simple images and do not have text layer. pdf files with text layer (e.g. produced via conversion of text files in LibreOffice) are displayed correctly without gaps.

girara-git 0.2.5.r23.g5099d08-1
zathura-git 0.3.5.18.g0e095c1-1
zathura-pdf-poppler-git 0.2.6.6.ge677c86-1
zathura-djvu-git 0.2.5.3.gba510b7-1

Offline

#621 2016-04-21 12:38:31

science404
Member
Registered: 2015-06-21
Posts: 20

Re: zathura - a document viewer

Next7 wrote:

Zathura still draws huge gaps between pages in pdf and djvu files produced through scanning. Pages of such files are simple images and do not have text layer. pdf files with text layer (e.g. produced via conversion of text files in LibreOffice) are displayed correctly without gaps.

girara-git 0.2.5.r23.g5099d08-1
zathura-git 0.3.5.18.g0e095c1-1
zathura-pdf-poppler-git 0.2.6.6.ge677c86-1
zathura-djvu-git 0.2.5.3.gba510b7-1


I'm using the same versions, but I have a different issue: sometimes the zoom and ability to switch between one-page and dual view stops working.  Specifically, the key-commands a/d/s/+/- stop working (as well as others, such as ':'), but up and down do.  Works again after I close and reopen file.

I can downgrade gtk3 to 3.19, but then I encounter black bars at the top and bottom of pages (as has been reported already).

Last edited by science404 (2016-04-21 12:45:46)

Offline

#622 2016-05-11 21:19:31

Z2h-A6n
Member
Registered: 2014-08-06
Posts: 5

Re: zathura - a document viewer

Do pdf annotations work? If so how?

Based on a quick look at the code, it appears that annotation support was added during 2014 and 2015, but I can't figure out how to use it.

I have the following packages installed:

  • zathura-git

  • libzathura-git

  • zathura-pdf-poppler-git

  • girara-git

Thanks for the help, and thanks to the devs for an excellent document viewer!

Offline

#623 2016-05-12 07:15:10

iwaka
Member
Registered: 2016-03-24
Posts: 3

Re: zathura - a document viewer

geo909 wrote:

Occasionally, in dual mode there will be a big gap between the two pages, like this.
I'm not sure what kind of pdfs make zathura behave that way, it happens very rarely.

From my own tests, best fit and fit-to-width modes (a and s) in zathura fit to the largest page in the file. In many older academic pdfs or some book pdfs for example, the first page will be larger than the rest. Removing the larger pages makes the other pages fit properly, but that's a very labour-intensive workaround...

Ideally, zathura should fit for each page, but it seems that this isn't what's happening.

Offline

#624 2016-05-13 16:15:53

peanut_0
Member
Registered: 2016-03-20
Posts: 16

Re: zathura - a document viewer

Hello, when I highlight some text (for copying), it sometimes has a series of random f's (as in the letter) after what I intended to copy. This happens only at the end of my selection. For example, if I highlight two paragraphs (which have space between), the copied text will be both paragraphs and then an f. But if I copy the first paragraph only, I will get that paragraph and then an f.

The only pattern I can see is that it happens more often with formatted blocks of text, e.g. a heading in a LaTeX document, but not every one.

Offline

#625 2016-05-26 04:36:21

jethronsun7
Member
Registered: 2016-04-29
Posts: 44
Website

Re: zathura - a document viewer

I believe somehow more clear instructions should be mentioned?

At least it took me quite some time to figure out that installing one of the pdf plugin is required. I may not using zathura as my main pdf reader but I will keep track and use it from time to time. After all it seems like a pretty cool project. Thx

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB