You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-13 20:23:31

Dkebapmanager
Member
Registered: 2016-02-13
Posts: 4

Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

Can anyone please help :S
Trying to use wifi Acer Aspire v15


~ lspci -r
07:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 32)
    Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc. Device e09d
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 130
    Memory at 94000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2M]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: ath10k_pci
    Kernel modules: ath10k_pci

~ ip link
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: enp8s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 2c:60:0c:f7:d3:b4 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: wlp7s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 48:e2:44:ae:c1:57 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

~ iwconfig wlp7s0
wlp7s0    IEEE 802.11abgn  ESSID:off/any 
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=0 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on

~ sudo iwlist wlp7s0 scan
wlp7s0    Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down


~ sudo  ip link set wlp7s0 up
RTNETLINK answers: Resource temporarily unavailable

~ dmesg |grep ath10k
[    1.553397] ath10k_pci 0000:07:00.0: pci irq msi-x interrupts 8 irq_mode 0 reset_mode 0
[    1.786636] ath10k_pci 0000:07:00.0: Direct firmware load for ath10k/cal-pci-0000:07:00.0.bin failed with error -2
[    1.787449] ath10k_pci 0000:07:00.0: Direct firmware load for ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/firmware-5.bin failed with error -2
[    1.787450] ath10k_pci 0000:07:00.0: could not fetch firmware file 'ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/firmware-5.bin': -2
[    1.851663] ath10k_pci 0000:07:00.0: Direct firmware load for ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/board-2.bin failed with error -2
[    3.973233] ath10k_pci 0000:07:00.0: qca6174 hw3.2 (0x05030000, 0x00340aff sub 105b:e09d) fw WLAN.RM.2.0-00180-QCARMSWPZ-1 fwapi 4 bdapi 1 htt-ver 3.26 wmi-op 4 htt-op 3 cal otp max-sta 32 raw 0 hwcrypto 1 features wowlan,ignore-otp,no-4addr-pad
[    3.973236] ath10k_pci 0000:07:00.0: debug 0 debugfs 1 tracing 0 dfs 0 testmode 0
[    6.975533] ath10k_pci 0000:07:00.0: could not suspend target (-11)
[    7.041950] ath10k_pci 0000:07:00.0 wlp7s0: renamed from wlan0

Last edited by Dkebapmanager (2016-02-14 12:16:58)

Offline

#2 2016-02-14 02:24:58

julianp
Member
Registered: 2016-02-14
Posts: 7

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

I have this same (revision 32) wifi chipset on my Acer Aspire R5-471T-52EE. After much probing, I was able to get the wifi working with the following instructions found on the Ubuntu bug page:
Good luck!

:::QUOTE:::
I managed to find a solution to this problem and have wireless now fully working!

I found a Github link in jeremy31's post from the Ubuntu Forums link by Db-d (post #18, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? … =13398554), which led me to Fabian Olesen's firmware versions forked from kvalo's ath10k-firmware repository. From these different (and new) firmware files I managed to construct a working combination.

Here are the commands, which should get the rev 32 card running:

If the firmware file directory doesn't exist, create it:
sudo mkdir -p /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/

If the directory already exists, backup everything important from it:
mkdir ~/ath10k_old
cp /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/* ~/ath10k_old

Then delete it's old contents:
sudo rm /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/*

Now we can start downloading the new board file and the firmware:

sudo wget https://github.com/FireWalkerX/ath10k-f … n?raw=true /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/board.bin

sudo wget https://github.com/FireWalkerX/ath10k-f … 1?raw=true /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/firmware-4.bin

Make the files executable:
sudo chmod +x /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/*

Reboot and your wireless should now be working!

If this fix works for you Db-d and Oliver, this thread should probably be marked with "patch released" or something similar and possibly the fix merged upstream? I'm not sure how to do this (or what to do next) so could someone give an advice?

/Dennis

:::/QUOTE:::

Offline

#3 2016-02-16 20:48:45

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 15,087

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

@julianp

$ git clone https://github.com/FireWalkerX/ath10k-firmware.git
Cloning into 'ath10k-firmware'...
remote: Counting objects: 339, done.
remote: Total 339 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 339
Receiving objects: 100% (339/339), 6.06 MiB | 608.00 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (123/123), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
$ cd ath10k-firmware/
$ ls
LICENSE.qca_firmware  QCA6174  QCA9887  QCA99X0
Makefile              QCA9377  QCA988X  README.md
cd QCA6174/
$ ls
hw2.1  hw3.0
cd hw3.0/
$ ls
board-2.bin  firmware-4.bin_WLAN.RM.2.0-00180-QCARMSWPZ-1
board.bin    notice.txt_WLAN.RM.2.0-00180-QCARMSWPZ-1
$ sha256sum board.bin 
1a8d225818b46986fc4f615594fbe448fa820618590d6902c8f844bb37cda667  board.bin
$ sha256sum /usr/lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/board.bin 
1a8d225818b46986fc4f615594fbe448fa820618590d6902c8f844bb37cda667  /usr/lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/board.bin
$ sha256sum firmware-4.bin_WLAN.RM.2.0-00180-QCARMSWPZ-1
dc74ba148cf88f1f99a62854112ec574d8c265d88417a4d969461448b0ab60c5  firmware-4.bin_WLAN.RM.2.0-00180-QCARMSWPZ-1
$ sha256sum /usr/lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/firmware-4.bin 
dc74ba148cf88f1f99a62854112ec574d8c265d88417a4d969461448b0ab60c5  /usr/lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/firmware-4.bin

The files downloaded from that git repository appear to be identical to the ones already supplied by the linux-firmware package
The only difference would seem to be setting the files as executable which the originals were not ( as a note no file in the linux-firmware package is marked as executable )
edit:
corrected cut and paste error in code output.

Last edited by loqs (2016-02-16 20:52:17)

Offline

#4 2016-02-18 18:08:23

julianp
Member
Registered: 2016-02-14
Posts: 7

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

@loqs
My apologies. I see you're right regarding the current linux-firmware package. I was basing my instructions off of an Ubuntu 15.10 clean install I did a few weeks ago on an Acer Aspire with the QCA6174 rev. 32 card which contained a slightly older (and non-working) version of the board.bin firmware file. I see now that I should have just added the latest official firmware package instead.

Here are the checksums in question:

# non-working board.bin:
$ sha256sum /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174.ORIGINAL/hw3.0/board.bin
1a8d225818b46986fc4f615594fbe448fa820618590d6902c8f844bb37cda667  /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174.ORIGINAL/hw3.0/board.bin

# working board.bin:
$ sha256sum /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/board.bin
94f69f28b8901bc7e655347decc26d4bb9cd8cd1ec5e60c44a9bdd9a4023017e  /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/board.bin

The firmware-4.bin files appear identical.


loqs wrote:

@julianp

$ git clone https://github.com/FireWalkerX/ath10k-firmware.git
Cloning into 'ath10k-firmware'...
remote: Counting objects: 339, done.
remote: Total 339 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 339
Receiving objects: 100% (339/339), 6.06 MiB | 608.00 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (123/123), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
$ cd ath10k-firmware/
$ ls
LICENSE.qca_firmware  QCA6174  QCA9887  QCA99X0
Makefile              QCA9377  QCA988X  README.md
cd QCA6174/
$ ls
hw2.1  hw3.0
cd hw3.0/
$ ls
board-2.bin  firmware-4.bin_WLAN.RM.2.0-00180-QCARMSWPZ-1
board.bin    notice.txt_WLAN.RM.2.0-00180-QCARMSWPZ-1
$ sha256sum board.bin 
1a8d225818b46986fc4f615594fbe448fa820618590d6902c8f844bb37cda667  board.bin
$ sha256sum /usr/lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/board.bin 
1a8d225818b46986fc4f615594fbe448fa820618590d6902c8f844bb37cda667  /usr/lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/board.bin
$ sha256sum firmware-4.bin_WLAN.RM.2.0-00180-QCARMSWPZ-1
dc74ba148cf88f1f99a62854112ec574d8c265d88417a4d969461448b0ab60c5  firmware-4.bin_WLAN.RM.2.0-00180-QCARMSWPZ-1
$ sha256sum /usr/lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/firmware-4.bin 
dc74ba148cf88f1f99a62854112ec574d8c265d88417a4d969461448b0ab60c5  /usr/lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/firmware-4.bin

The files downloaded from that git repository appear to be identical to the ones already supplied by the linux-firmware package
The only difference would seem to be setting the files as executable which the originals were not ( as a note no file in the linux-firmware package is marked as executable )
edit:
corrected cut and paste error in code output.

Last edited by julianp (2016-02-18 18:18:42)

Offline

#5 2016-02-18 19:39:27

Dkebapmanager
Member
Registered: 2016-02-13
Posts: 4

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

julianp wrote:

@loqs

# working board.bin:
$ sha256sum /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/board.bin
94f69f28b8901bc7e655347decc26d4bb9cd8cd1ec5e60c44a9bdd9a4023017e  /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/board.bin

Where did you get that board.bin version? I still have the one that starts with 1a8d225,.,

Offline

#6 2016-02-18 20:07:10

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 15,087

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

$ pacman -Qi linux-firmware 
Name            : linux-firmware
Version         : 20160113.40e9ae8-1
Description     : Firmware files for Linux
...
Installed Size  : 125.48 MiB
Packager        : Tobias Powalowski <tpowa@archlinux.org>
Build Date      : Wed 13 Jan 2016 19:57:35 GMT
Install Date    : Tue 02 Feb 2016 19:14:24 GMT
Install Reason  : Installed as a dependency for another package
Install Script  : No
Validated By    : Signature

Current version of the linux-firmware package

Offline

#7 2016-02-18 21:37:48

Dkebapmanager
Member
Registered: 2016-02-13
Posts: 4

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

loqs wrote:
$ pacman -Qi linux-firmware 
Name            : linux-firmware
Version         : 20160113.40e9ae8-1
Description     : Firmware files for Linux
...
Installed Size  : 125.48 MiB
Packager        : Tobias Powalowski <tpowa@archlinux.org>
Build Date      : Wed 13 Jan 2016 19:57:35 GMT
Install Date    : Tue 02 Feb 2016 19:14:24 GMT
Install Reason  : Installed as a dependency for another package
Install Script  : No
Validated By    : Signature

Current version of the linux-firmware package


Nah you got something wrong I removed my files and reinstalled latest linux-firmware, same firmware version as yours, but not the same file sha256sum ....

Last edited by Dkebapmanager (2016-02-18 21:38:13)

Offline

#8 2016-02-18 22:13:37

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 15,087

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

Dkebapmanager wrote:

Nah you got something wrong I removed my files and reinstalled latest linux-firmware, same firmware version as yours, but not the same file sha256sum ....

Sorry you are right both the current firmware package and the current version of the git repositories mentioned in this thread only have the 1a8d225818b46986fc4f615594fbe448fa820618590d6902c8f844bb37cda667

$ wget https://github.com/FireWalkerX/ath10k-firmware/raw/master/QCA6174/hw3.0/board-2.bin
--2016-02-18 22:09:20--  https://github.com/FireWalkerX/ath10k-firmware/raw/master/QCA6174/hw3.0/board-2.bin
Resolving github.com (github.com)... 192.30.252.131
Connecting to github.com (github.com)|192.30.252.131|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/FireWalkerX/ath10k-firmware/master/QCA6174/hw3.0/board-2.bin [following]
--2016-02-18 22:09:21--  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/FireWalkerX/ath10k-firmware/master/QCA6174/hw3.0/board-2.bin
Resolving raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)... 62.252.172.241
Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)|62.252.172.241|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 8124 (7.9K) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘board-2.bin’

board-2.bin         100%[=====================>]   7.93K  --.-KB/s   in 0s     

2016-02-18 22:09:21 (1.13 GB/s) - ‘board-2.bin’ saved [8124/8124]
/tmp]$ sha256sum board-2.bin
94f69f28b8901bc7e655347decc26d4bb9cd8cd1ec5e60c44a9bdd9a4023017e  board-2.bin

So it is board-2.bin renamed from the git repositories already mentioned.  I did not noticed in julianp's first post that board-2.bin is renamed to board.bin.
As an interesting test does it work if you leave it named as board-2.bin or does it need to overwrite board.bin.
edit:
typo changed 2 instances of board2-bin to board-2.bin

Last edited by loqs (2016-02-18 22:39:07)

Offline

#9 2016-02-18 22:17:20

julianp
Member
Registered: 2016-02-14
Posts: 7

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

Edited:
Looks like loqs tracked down the source of the conflict, but just in case something still goes wrong, here is my gzipped working QCA6174 directory:

https://amity.be/filedrop/QCA6174_rev32_fix.tar.gz



Dkebapmanager wrote:
loqs wrote:
$ pacman -Qi linux-firmware 
Name            : linux-firmware
Version         : 20160113.40e9ae8-1
Description     : Firmware files for Linux
...
Installed Size  : 125.48 MiB
Packager        : Tobias Powalowski <tpowa@archlinux.org>
Build Date      : Wed 13 Jan 2016 19:57:35 GMT
Install Date    : Tue 02 Feb 2016 19:14:24 GMT
Install Reason  : Installed as a dependency for another package
Install Script  : No
Validated By    : Signature

Current version of the linux-firmware package


Nah you got something wrong I removed my files and reinstalled latest linux-firmware, same firmware version as yours, but not the same file sha256sum ....

Last edited by julianp (2016-02-18 22:21:20)

Offline

#10 2016-02-19 07:34:31

Dkebapmanager
Member
Registered: 2016-02-13
Posts: 4

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

loqs wrote:

So it is board-2.bin renamed from the git repositories already mentioned.  I did not noticed in julianp's first post that board-2.bin is renamed to board.bin.
As an interesting test does it work if you leave it named as board-2.bin or does it need to overwrite board.bin.
edit:
typo changed 2 instances of board2-bin to board-2.bin

I think it must be in board-X.bin format, checkout out dmesg I got after including

[    1.437454] ath10k_pci 0000:07:00.0: pci irq msi-x interrupts 8 irq_mode 0 reset_mode 0
[    1.663728] ath10k_pci 0000:07:00.0: Direct firmware load for ath10k/cal-pci-0000:07:00.0.bin failed with error -2
[    1.664653] ath10k_pci 0000:07:00.0: Direct firmware load for ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/firmware-5.bin failed with error -2
[    1.664658] ath10k_pci 0000:07:00.0: could not fetch firmware file 'ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/firmware-5.bin': -2
[    1.729627] ath10k_pci 0000:07:00.0: Direct firmware load for ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/board-2.bin failed with error -2
[    3.852794] ath10k_pci 0000:07:00.0: qca6174 hw3.2 (0x05030000, 0x00340aff sub 105b:e09d) fw WLAN.RM.2.0-00180-QCARMSWPZ-1 fwapi 4 bdapi 1 htt-ver 3.26 wmi-op 4 htt-op 3 cal otp max-sta 32 raw 0 hwcrypto 1 features wowlan,ignore-otp,no-4addr-pad
[    3.852797] ath10k_pci 0000:07:00.0: debug 0 debugfs 1 tracing 0 dfs 0 testmode 0
[    3.919591] ath10k_pci 0000:07:00.0 wlp7s0: renamed from wlan0

Julianp thanks alot it works now, I am not sure how but it does, I dont really understand though, he is first looking for firmware-5.bin, after that for board-2.bin? why are those files missing from linux-firmware package? anyway after 2 months of trying everything around, it finnaly works, thank you alot !

Last edited by Dkebapmanager (2016-02-19 07:35:10)

Offline

#11 2016-02-19 18:07:18

julianp
Member
Registered: 2016-02-14
Posts: 7

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

@Dkebapmanager
Glad to hear it worked!

I get those errors about the missing board-2.bin and firmware-5.bin as well. Not really sure how to fix it. You can try symlinking board-2.bin to the board.bin file and firmware-5.bin to the firmware-4.bin file and see if that takes care of it -- but I've just left it alone on my laptop for the time being because everything is working despite the errors on boot.

One thing I would suggest, though, is to make a backup copy of your working board.bin and firmware-4.bin files somewhere else. I've twice had those files in /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/ be overwritten when performing a system update which have resulted in broken wifi on reboot. Each time, I've simply copied the backed up files back into the QCA6174/ directory, rebooted, and had wifi working fine again.


Dkebapmanager wrote:

Julianp thanks alot it works now, I am not sure how but it does, I dont really understand though, he is first looking for firmware-5.bin, after that for board-2.bin? why are those files missing from linux-firmware package? anyway after 2 months of trying everything around, it finnaly works, thank you alot !

Last edited by julianp (2016-02-19 18:08:43)

Offline

#12 2016-02-19 23:41:07

jeremy31
Member
Registered: 2015-11-01
Posts: 149

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

julianp wrote:

@Dkebapmanager
Glad to hear it worked!

I get those errors about the missing board-2.bin and firmware-5.bin as well. Not really sure how to fix it. You can try symlinking board-2.bin to the board.bin file and firmware-5.bin to the firmware-4.bin file and see if that takes care of it -- but I've just left it alone on my laptop for the time being because everything is working despite the errors on boot.

One thing I would suggest, though, is to make a backup copy of your working board.bin and firmware-4.bin files somewhere else. I've twice had those files in /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/ be overwritten when performing a system update which have resulted in broken wifi on reboot. Each time, I've simply copied the backed up files back into the QCA6174/ directory, rebooted, and had wifi working fine again.


Dkebapmanager wrote:

Julianp thanks alot it works now, I am not sure how but it does, I dont really understand though, he is first looking for firmware-5.bin, after that for board-2.bin? why are those files missing from linux-firmware package? anyway after 2 months of trying everything around, it finnaly works, thank you alot !

The only way to change it would be to change the kernel source code so it doesn't bother to look for the other firmware files.  The Intel iwlwifi module does the same thing, it will search for the highest firmware API version first and then look for the others

Offline

#13 2016-02-21 16:50:39

str0gg
Member
Registered: 2012-12-01
Posts: 66
Website

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

Offline

#14 2016-02-23 23:48:09

dunek
Member
Registered: 2010-05-15
Posts: 23

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

Will this issue persist or solve itself at some point with a newer version of linux-firmware?

Offline

#15 2016-02-25 22:36:30

denvit
Member
Registered: 2016-02-22
Posts: 6

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

I'm having a problem guys,
the driver seems to work properly but I'm having some troubles with my home wifi connection.

My work wifi connection, a public hotspot I've connected to, and my Android phone's hotspot are working as expected by using NetworkManager.
Here are some infos:

Linux denvit-ws1 4.5.0-rc4-mainline #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Feb 19 21:53:25 CET 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux

md5sum of the files in /lib/ath10k/hw3.0/:

e3e8096a1f8288e95c1f556d8ce22b2e  board-2.bin
4546440c0d7f40d782f5f98f097d91ba  board.bin
cb37c63d9ca28f53fea1ff09ad7c7a82  board.bin.orig
a5dfbc03c9a7a73f7aa8d0a94a6d9426  firmware-4.bin
994fdb3e62a9dba8b9ac649188065e33  notice.txt_WLAN.RM.2.0-00180-QCARMSWPZ-1

log when I do connect to my home hotspot:

feb 25 23:29:33 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  (wlp7s0): Activation: (wifi) connection 'Denys WiFi #1 5' has security, and secrets exist.  No new secrets needed.
feb 25 23:29:33 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  Config: added 'ssid' value 'Denys WiFi #1'
feb 25 23:29:33 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  Config: added 'scan_ssid' value '1'
feb 25 23:29:33 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  Config: added 'key_mgmt' value 'WPA-PSK'
feb 25 23:29:33 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  Config: added 'auth_alg' value 'OPEN'
feb 25 23:29:33 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  Config: added 'psk' value '<omitted>'
feb 25 23:29:33 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  Config: set interface ap_scan to 1
feb 25 23:29:38 denvit-ws1 wpa_supplicant[615]: wlp7s0: SME: Trying to authenticate with [Home Wifi's Mac Address] (SSID='Denys WiFi #1' freq=2412 MHz)
feb 25 23:29:38 denvit-ws1 kernel: wlp7s0: authenticate with [Home Wifi's Mac Address]
feb 25 23:29:38 denvit-ws1 kernel: wlp7s0: send auth to [Home Wifi's Mac Address] (try 1/3)
feb 25 23:29:38 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  (wlp7s0): supplicant interface state: disconnected -> authenticating
feb 25 23:29:38 denvit-ws1 wpa_supplicant[615]: wlp7s0: Trying to associate with [Home Wifi's Mac Address] (SSID='Denys WiFi #1' freq=2412 MHz)
feb 25 23:29:38 denvit-ws1 kernel: wlp7s0: authenticated
feb 25 23:29:38 denvit-ws1 kernel: ath10k_pci 0000:07:00.0 wlp7s0: disabling HT as WMM/QoS is not supported by the AP
feb 25 23:29:38 denvit-ws1 kernel: ath10k_pci 0000:07:00.0 wlp7s0: disabling VHT as WMM/QoS is not supported by the AP
feb 25 23:29:38 denvit-ws1 kernel: wlp7s0: associate with [Home Wifi's Mac Address] (try 1/3)
feb 25 23:29:38 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  (wlp7s0): supplicant interface state: authenticating -> associating
feb 25 23:29:38 denvit-ws1 kernel: wlp7s0: RX AssocResp from [Home Wifi's Mac Address] (capab=0x411 status=0 aid=3)
feb 25 23:29:38 denvit-ws1 kernel: wlp7s0: associated
feb 25 23:29:38 denvit-ws1 wpa_supplicant[615]: wlp7s0: Associated with [Home Wifi's Mac Address]
feb 25 23:29:38 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  (wlp7s0): supplicant interface state: associating -> 4-way handshake
feb 25 23:29:42 denvit-ws1 kernel: wlp7s0: deauthenticated from [Home Wifi's Mac Address] (Reason: 1=UNSPECIFIED)
feb 25 23:29:42 denvit-ws1 wpa_supplicant[615]: wlp7s0: CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED bssid=[Home Wifi's Mac Address] reason=1
feb 25 23:29:42 denvit-ws1 wpa_supplicant[615]: wlp7s0: WPA: 4-Way Handshake failed - pre-shared key may be incorrect
feb 25 23:29:42 denvit-ws1 wpa_supplicant[615]: wlp7s0: CTRL-EVENT-SSID-TEMP-DISABLED id=0 ssid="Denys WiFi #1" auth_failures=1 duration=10 reason=WRONG_KEY
feb 25 23:29:42 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <warn>  Connection disconnected (reason 1)
feb 25 23:29:42 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  (wlp7s0): supplicant interface state: 4-way handshake -> disconnected
feb 25 23:29:42 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  (wlp7s0): Activation: (wifi) disconnected during association, asking for new key
feb 25 23:29:42 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  (wlp7s0): device state change: config -> need-auth (reason 'supplicant-disconnect') [50 60 8]
feb 25 23:29:42 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  (wlp7s0): supplicant interface state: disconnected -> inactive
feb 25 23:29:45 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <warn>  (wlp7s0): User canceled the secrets request.
feb 25 23:29:45 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  (wlp7s0): device state change: need-auth -> failed (reason 'no-secrets') [60 120 7]
feb 25 23:29:45 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  NetworkManager state is now DISCONNECTED
feb 25 23:29:45 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <warn>  (wlp7s0): Activation: failed for connection 'Denys WiFi #1 5'
feb 25 23:29:45 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  (wlp7s0): device state change: failed -> disconnected (reason 'none') [120 30 0]

(note the reason: 1=UNSPECIFIED)
I have triple checked the passphrase, and I'm sure it isn't an authentication problem, at least on the user side

This is what happens when I connect to my Oneplus One (Android Hotspot)

feb 25 23:29:45 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  (wlp7s0): Activation: (wifi) connection 'Oneplus One 3' has security, and secrets exist.  No new secrets needed.
feb 25 23:29:45 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  Config: added 'ssid' value 'Oneplus One'
feb 25 23:29:45 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  Config: added 'scan_ssid' value '1'
feb 25 23:29:45 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  Config: added 'key_mgmt' value 'WPA-PSK'
feb 25 23:29:45 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  Config: added 'auth_alg' value 'OPEN'
feb 25 23:29:45 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  Config: added 'psk' value '<omitted>'
feb 25 23:29:45 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  Config: set interface ap_scan to 1
feb 25 23:29:49 denvit-ws1 wpa_supplicant[615]: wlp7s0: SME: Trying to authenticate with [Oneplus One Mac Address] (SSID='Oneplus One' freq=2447 MHz)
feb 25 23:29:49 denvit-ws1 kernel: wlp7s0: authenticate with [Oneplus One Mac Address]
feb 25 23:29:49 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  (wlp7s0): supplicant interface state: inactive -> authenticating
feb 25 23:29:49 denvit-ws1 kernel: wlp7s0: send auth to [Oneplus One Mac Address] (try 1/3)
feb 25 23:29:49 denvit-ws1 kernel: wlp7s0: send auth to [Oneplus One Mac Address] (try 2/3)
feb 25 23:29:49 denvit-ws1 kernel: wlp7s0: authenticated
feb 25 23:29:49 denvit-ws1 wpa_supplicant[615]: wlp7s0: Trying to associate with [Oneplus One Mac Address] (SSID='Oneplus One' freq=2447 MHz)
feb 25 23:29:49 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  (wlp7s0): supplicant interface state: authenticating -> associating
feb 25 23:29:49 denvit-ws1 kernel: wlp7s0: associate with [Oneplus One Mac Address] (try 1/3)
feb 25 23:29:49 denvit-ws1 kernel: wlp7s0: RX AssocResp from [Oneplus One Mac Address] (capab=0x431 status=0 aid=2)
feb 25 23:29:49 denvit-ws1 kernel: wlp7s0: associated
feb 25 23:29:49 denvit-ws1 kernel: IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlp7s0: link becomes ready
feb 25 23:29:49 denvit-ws1 wpa_supplicant[615]: wlp7s0: Associated with [Oneplus One Mac Address]
feb 25 23:29:49 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  (wlp7s0): supplicant interface state: associating -> associated
feb 25 23:29:49 denvit-ws1 NetworkManager[516]: <info>  (wlp7s0): supplicant interface state: associated -> 4-way handshake
feb 25 23:29:49 denvit-ws1 wpa_supplicant[615]: wlp7s0: WPA: Key negotiation completed with [Oneplus One Mac Address] [PTK=CCMP GTK=CCMP]
feb 25 23:29:49 denvit-ws1 wpa_supplicant[615]: wlp7s0: CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to [Oneplus One Mac Address] completed [id=0 id_str=]

I do have exactly the same behavior when using the latest kernel (not the mainline one).
I had once Ubuntu, and with it I didn't had any authentication problem with my Home connection, although I had to apply the FireWalkerX's binary files to use my QCA6174

Last edited by denvit (2016-02-25 22:37:57)

Offline

#16 2016-02-26 16:23:55

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 15,087

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

denvit wrote:

md5sum of the files in /lib/ath10k/hw3.0/:

Is this the actual path you are using instead of /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/?

denvit wrote:
e3e8096a1f8288e95c1f556d8ce22b2e  board-2.bin
4546440c0d7f40d782f5f98f097d91ba  board.bin
cb37c63d9ca28f53fea1ff09ad7c7a82  board.bin.orig
a5dfbc03c9a7a73f7aa8d0a94a6d9426  firmware-4.bin
994fdb3e62a9dba8b9ac649188065e33  notice.txt_WLAN.RM.2.0-00180-QCARMSWPZ-1
df5ba1ca92f98bbd9cb537ddc5747011  board-2.bin #from FirWalkerX
ac5184615090503870442da5f703de25  board-2.bin #from kvalo
cb37c63d9ca28f53fea1ff09ad7c7a82  board.bin #from FirewalkerX,kvalo,linux-firmware
a5dfbc03c9a7a73f7aa8d0a94a6d9426  firmware-4.bin #from FirewalkerX,kvalo,linux-firmware

So where did the board.bin and board-2.bin you are using come from?

Offline

#17 2016-03-01 13:27:50

vcmota
Member
Registered: 2016-02-29
Posts: 1

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

First of all I would like to thank you for this post, since only after reading it I managed to solve my conection problem. I had created a thread in fedora forums that you can see here http://www.forums.fedoraforum.org/showt … p?t=308949 and have given proper credit for your post in the solution. I dont know how relevant this is but my dmesg output is still not clean:

[vinicius@localhost Desktop]$ dmesg | grep ath10k
[    4.715092] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
[    4.715656] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: pci irq msi-x interrupts 8 irq_mode 0 reset_mode 0
[    4.942959] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: Direct firmware load for ath10k/cal-pci-0000:02:00.0.bin failed with error -2
[    4.980453] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: Direct firmware load for ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/firmware-5.bin failed with error -2
[    4.980457] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: could not fetch firmware file 'ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/firmware-5.bin': -2
[    5.198094] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to fetch board data for ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0 from bus=pci,vendor=168c,device=003e,subsystem-vendor=1028,subsystem-device=0310/board-2.bin
[    7.367756] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: qca6174 hw3.2 (0x05030000, 0x00340aff sub 1028:0310) fw WLAN.RM.2.0-00180-QCARMSWPZ-1 fwapi 4 bdapi 1 htt-ver 3.26 wmi-op 4 htt-op 3 cal otp max-sta 32 raw 0 hwcrypto 1 features wowlan,ignore-otp,no-4addr-pad
[    7.367764] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: debug 0 debugfs 1 tracing 0 dfs 0 testmode 0
[    7.724818] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0 wlp2s0: renamed from wlan0


Well, thank you all very much!

Offline

#18 2016-03-01 17:33:39

julianp
Member
Registered: 2016-02-14
Posts: 7

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

Just a FYI... I've found that making the firmware files executable is not necessary and was an error in the original instructions.
Also, the firmware-5.bin file error can be made to go away by making a symlink pointing firmware-5.bin -> firmware-4.bin
The other errors persist, but it doesn't seem to keep anything from working...

[julian@aspire ~]$ ls -al /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/
total 852
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   4096 Feb 21 09:38 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root   4096 Feb 21 09:33 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  24692 Feb 21 09:33 board-2.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   8124 Feb 21 09:33 board.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   8124 Feb 21 09:33 board.bin.orig
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 733784 Feb 21 09:33 firmware-4.bin
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     14 Feb 21 09:38 firmware-5.bin -> firmware-4.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  79801 Feb 21 09:33 notice.txt_WLAN.RM.2.0-00180-QCARMSWPZ-1
[julian@aspire ~]$ dmesg | grep ath10k
[   14.972105] ath10k_pci 0000:01:00.0: pci irq msi-x interrupts 8 irq_mode 0 reset_mode 0
[   15.212181] ath10k_pci 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for ath10k/cal-pci-0000:01:00.0.bin failed with error -2
[   15.222120] ath10k_pci 0000:01:00.0: qca6174 hw3.2 target 0x05030000 chip_id 0x00340aff sub 11ad:0807
[   15.222124] ath10k_pci 0000:01:00.0: kconfig debug 0 debugfs 1 tracing 1 dfs 0 testmode 0
[   15.222632] ath10k_pci 0000:01:00.0: firmware ver WLAN.RM.2.0-00180-QCARMSWPZ-1 api 5 features wowlan,ignore-otp,no-4addr-pad crc32 75dee6c5
[   15.285284] ath10k_pci 0000:01:00.0: failed to fetch board data for bus=pci,vendor=168c,device=003e,subsystem-vendor=11ad,subsystem-device=0807 from ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/board-2.bin
[   15.285493] ath10k_pci 0000:01:00.0: board_file api 1 bmi_id N/A crc32 a2e55e7b
[   17.429800] ath10k_pci 0000:01:00.0: htt-ver 3.26 wmi-op 4 htt-op 3 cal otp max-sta 32 raw 0 hwcrypto 1
[   17.518446] ath10k_pci 0000:01:00.0 wlp1s0: renamed from wlan0
vcmota wrote:

First of all I would like to thank you for this post, since only after reading it I managed to solve my conection problem. I had created a thread in fedora forums that you can see here http://www.forums.fedoraforum.org/showt … p?t=308949 and have given proper credit for your post in the solution. I dont know how relevant this is but my dmesg output is still not clean:

[vinicius@localhost Desktop]$ dmesg | grep ath10k
[    4.715092] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
[    4.715656] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: pci irq msi-x interrupts 8 irq_mode 0 reset_mode 0
[    4.942959] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: Direct firmware load for ath10k/cal-pci-0000:02:00.0.bin failed with error -2
[    4.980453] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: Direct firmware load for ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/firmware-5.bin failed with error -2
[    4.980457] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: could not fetch firmware file 'ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/firmware-5.bin': -2
[    5.198094] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: failed to fetch board data for ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0 from bus=pci,vendor=168c,device=003e,subsystem-vendor=1028,subsystem-device=0310/board-2.bin
[    7.367756] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: qca6174 hw3.2 (0x05030000, 0x00340aff sub 1028:0310) fw WLAN.RM.2.0-00180-QCARMSWPZ-1 fwapi 4 bdapi 1 htt-ver 3.26 wmi-op 4 htt-op 3 cal otp max-sta 32 raw 0 hwcrypto 1 features wowlan,ignore-otp,no-4addr-pad
[    7.367764] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: debug 0 debugfs 1 tracing 0 dfs 0 testmode 0
[    7.724818] ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0 wlp2s0: renamed from wlan0


Well, thank you all very much!

Offline

#19 2016-03-29 21:20:14

denvit
Member
Registered: 2016-02-22
Posts: 6

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

loqs wrote:
denvit wrote:

md5sum of the files in /lib/ath10k/hw3.0/:

Is this the actual path you are using instead of /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/?

denvit wrote:
e3e8096a1f8288e95c1f556d8ce22b2e  board-2.bin
4546440c0d7f40d782f5f98f097d91ba  board.bin
cb37c63d9ca28f53fea1ff09ad7c7a82  board.bin.orig
a5dfbc03c9a7a73f7aa8d0a94a6d9426  firmware-4.bin
994fdb3e62a9dba8b9ac649188065e33  notice.txt_WLAN.RM.2.0-00180-QCARMSWPZ-1
df5ba1ca92f98bbd9cb537ddc5747011  board-2.bin #from FirWalkerX
ac5184615090503870442da5f703de25  board-2.bin #from kvalo
cb37c63d9ca28f53fea1ff09ad7c7a82  board.bin #from FirewalkerX,kvalo,linux-firmware
a5dfbc03c9a7a73f7aa8d0a94a6d9426  firmware-4.bin #from FirewalkerX,kvalo,linux-firmware

So where did the board.bin and board-2.bin you are using come from?

They came from here I think.
Anyway I retried the method but the problem persist.
Here are my files in /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/

dvitali /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0 md5sum /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/*                                                              
df5ba1ca92f98bbd9cb537ddc5747011  /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/board.bin
a5dfbc03c9a7a73f7aa8d0a94a6d9426  /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/firmware-4.bin
994fdb3e62a9dba8b9ac649188065e33  /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/notice.txt_WLAN.RM.2.0-00180-QCARMSWPZ-1

The problem remains identical, can't connect to my home's wifi network, but work flawlessly with work WiFi, Android Hotspot and Public Wlans

-- Edit --
My kernel: Linux denvit-ws1 4.4.5-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Mar 10 07:38:19 CET 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux
The problem happens even with the mainline one. I only had my wifi 100% working with Ubuntu 15.10, same FireWalkerX trick but there the wifi was working even at home

Last edited by denvit (2016-03-29 21:21:59)

Offline

#20 2016-03-29 23:06:31

jeremy31
Member
Registered: 2015-11-01
Posts: 149

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

denvit
How do those md5sums compare with https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmwar … 6174/hw3.0

There have been a couple cases where board-2.bin has to renamed board.bin using kvalos firmware

Offline

#21 2016-03-30 01:16:56

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 15,087

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

jeremy31 wrote:

denvit
How do those md5sums compare with https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmwar … 6174/hw3.0

There have been a couple cases where board-2.bin has to renamed board.bin using kvalos firmware

Is that information not already all in post #19? https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 2#p1616152

Offline

#22 2016-03-30 09:09:51

denvit
Member
Registered: 2016-02-22
Posts: 6

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

loqs wrote:
jeremy31 wrote:

denvit
How do those md5sums compare with https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmwar … 6174/hw3.0

There have been a couple cases where board-2.bin has to renamed board.bin using kvalos firmware

Is that information not already all in post #19? https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 2#p1616152

Yes it is...
Anyway, I'm following the Github Issue, hoping to see if someone other had my same problem.
Currently I'm connected to my work's wifi and everything works fine, unfortunately at home it doesn't.

Offline

#23 2016-03-30 10:45:01

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 15,087

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

denvit wrote:

Anyway, I'm following the Github Issue, hoping to see if someone other had my same problem.
Currently I'm connected to my work's wifi and everything works fine, unfortunately at home it doesn't.

Is this not a separate issue to the one experienced by the original poster Dkebapmanager?

Offline

#24 2016-05-26 16:36:39

ragazzid
Member
Registered: 2016-05-26
Posts: 1

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

Hey thank you, this saved me!


I have no words to express my gratitude!


julianp wrote:

I have this same (revision 32) wifi chipset on my Acer Aspire R5-471T-52EE. After much probing, I was able to get the wifi working with the following instructions found on the Ubuntu bug page:
Good luck!

:::QUOTE:::
I managed to find a solution to this problem and have wireless now fully working!

I found a Github link in jeremy31's post from the Ubuntu Forums link by Db-d (post #18, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? … =13398554), which led me to Fabian Olesen's firmware versions forked from kvalo's ath10k-firmware repository. From these different (and new) firmware files I managed to construct a working combination.

Here are the commands, which should get the rev 32 card running:

If the firmware file directory doesn't exist, create it:
sudo mkdir -p /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/

If the directory already exists, backup everything important from it:
mkdir ~/ath10k_old
cp /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/* ~/ath10k_old

Then delete it's old contents:
sudo rm /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/*

Now we can start downloading the new board file and the firmware:

sudo wget https://github.com/FireWalkerX/ath10k-f … n?raw=true /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/board.bin

sudo wget https://github.com/FireWalkerX/ath10k-f … 1?raw=true /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/firmware-4.bin

Make the files executable:
sudo chmod +x /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/*

Reboot and your wireless should now be working!

If this fix works for you Db-d and Oliver, this thread should probably be marked with "patch released" or something similar and possibly the fix merged upstream? I'm not sure how to do this (or what to do next) so could someone give an advice?

/Dennis

:::/QUOTE:::

Offline

#25 2016-06-12 06:28:32

Hideman007
Member
Registered: 2016-06-12
Posts: 2

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 Wireless adapter firmware not loading

I have a question: when I'm installing Arch from only one .iso file in my bootable USB, without internet connection - of course, where can I put those files into?
I got those firmware files without knowing how to use it, what a pity!!
Pardon me!

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB