You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-26 11:22:48

Archer2

Missing dependecies in qt based apps

I decided 5 days ago to create a pure qt system that doesn't have gtk package installed.
I installed arch linux as usual and then I installed the groups lxqt and palsma and the packages qupzilla and sddm.
When I try to run sddm through the command sddm it doesn't run
I ran it as a systemd service , I enabled it in the boot and nothing worked.
At least I realized that all of those packages don't mark xorg-server as a dependecy.
I installed it and everything worked.

#2 2016-05-26 11:31:09

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Missing dependecies in qt based apps

Yes, if you want to run X clients on your machine, you need to be running an X server.  This should be obvious, and would be obvious if you followed the proper documentation to install arch.

The xserver is not - and should not - be a dependency of x clients as the clients and server need not be on the same machine.  In most general use cases today they are, but this is not required.

You want to run your own x server to run your own x clients - so you need to install both the clients and the server.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2016-05-26 12:21:32

Archer2

Okey so why gtk and lxde have xqorg-server as a dependecy

#4 2016-05-26 13:11:55

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

They don't.

At least nothing I can test does, lxde is not a package it is a group - gtk is not a package or a group, it is a toolkit which can be provided by one of the following two packages neither of which depend on xorg:

pactree -s gtk2 | grep xorg
pactree -s gtk3 | grep xorg

EDIT: it does seem the display managers gdm and lxdm do depend on xorg-server.  I have no idea why this would be.  Display managers are odd (and generally pointless) beasts that might have requirements of the clients and server residing on the same machine.  SDDM may be more wisely designed to not have that requirement.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2016-05-26 13:49:12

Archer2

Trilby wrote:

lxde is not a package it is a group

lxqt and plasma are also groups.

gtk2 is marking wayland as a dependecy.

lxdm is marking xorg-server as dependecy why sddm doesn't.

#6 2016-05-26 14:56:42

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Archer2 wrote:

lxdm is marking xorg-server as dependecy why sddm doesn't.

Did you read my previous post?  I've answered this.  If you think this should be changed you could suggest it upstream.  I just ran ldd on all the libs and binaries in lxdm and non of them require anything from the xorg-server package.  So perhaps it is a dependency because the lxdm developers or packagers do not intend lxdm to be used on systems where the server and clients are on different machines.  Sddm does not have this restriction.  They are different pieces of software made by different people with different restrictions - what other kind of answer are you looking for?  Is there actually a problem here, or do you just want to be argumentative?

#7 2016-05-27 12:22:22

Archer2

Trilby wrote:

Did you read my previous post?

Sorry I didn't read it after the edit.

Thank you ,,

Board footer