You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-27 20:35:32

adityakamath

Intel Baytrail sound drivers missing

Hi,

I recently installed Arch on my HP Chromebook 11 G4. It has a Baytrail Celeron N2840 chip and with the latest Arch I didn't have sound working. Only the HDMI audio out was recognized but the speakers and headphone audio weren't.

After some digging and looking into the modules loaded in Chrome OS I found that the laptop has a Byt Max 98090 chip and it also requires the snd_soc_sst_baytrail_pcm  and snd_soc_sst_byt_max98090_mach kernel modules for it to work. For some reason these modules don't exist in the latest 4.5.4-1 kernel that comes with Arch. Even the testing kernel 4.6-1 does not have these modules. However looking at the source tree of the mainline kernel at kernel.org the code seems to exist.

Also 4.4.5-1 kernel from the Arch archive has all the required modules and sound worked (after a little tweaking with ALSA).

So I wanted to know if there was any specific reason for these modules to be omitted in the newer Arch kernels. If they won't be coming back then possibly I will pull out the sources from the mainline kernel and compile the modules myself to work with the latest kernels.

Thanks.

#2 2016-05-28 15:32:19

Lone_Wolf

Re: Intel Baytrail sound drivers missing

It seems that a change in kernel settings triggered that, check BR  #48936 .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer