You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-03 21:10:43

heck

[SOLVED ] No audio

Hello,

I had sound with that computer on a previous installation of arch, but this time it didn't work. I managed to hear a test file with VLC but after tweaking the settings it's gone again and I can't reproduce it yet. The speakers worked but I couldn't get sound through the audio jack or from a HTML5 player.

I tried setting a .asoundrc up but I have not idea what i'm doing besides changing the card that's set by default in alsamixer I guess (the HDMI one and not the PCH was first in alsamixer). I can hear the beeps from terminals and mute it when muting master on the PCH card.

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: VT1802 Analog [VT1802 Analog]
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: VT1802 Digital [VT1802 Digital]
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 2: VT1802 Alt Analog [VT1802 Alt Analog]
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
pulse
    PulseAudio Sound Server
hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=0
    HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=1
    HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 1
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=2
    HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 2
    HDMI Audio Output
default:CARD=PCH
    HDA Intel PCH, VT1802 Analog
    Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=PCH
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    Front speakers
surround21:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, VT1802 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output 

I hear the pink noise when doing "speaker-test -Dsurround40:PCH -c 2" or just "speaker-test -c 2" when i use the .asoundrc to set card1, but can't hear my test.wav in VLC with the audio output set to Automatic nor sound from a HTML5 player.

I think I need a .asoundrc to set the default card but it doesn't fix the sound issue hmm

If someone can help me or point me in the right direction to get the sound working I'd be very thankful!

Thank you for reading

Last edited by heck (2016-06-06 00:36:08)

#2 2016-06-04 05:11:00

JohnBobSmith

Re: [SOLVED ] No audio

If you want to set the default sound card, maybe this (and a bit of info above the pound (#) link) may help: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ad … sound_card

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#3 2016-06-04 11:22:02

heck

Re: [SOLVED ] No audio

I can and set it already with pcm.!default and ctl.!default to card 1 with type hw but it doesn't fix my sound problem. It wouldn't even bother me to select it everytime with alsamixer if I had sound é_è
The modprobe should be used if the boot order change right? If i set the card with the asoundrc it'll select the right one when i open alsamixer, and it doesn't change on boot for me I think.
I tried using options snd_hda_intel with index to 1 in case yesterday but it didn't fix my problem.

EDIT: Idk if it is normal that aplay listed Pulse as I'm not using it (at least not intentionnaly I guess)

EDIT 2: Saw an other thread regarding an issue with audio where someone linked a post (http://darmawan-salihun.blogspot.fr/201 … oblem.html).
I made an alsa conf in modprobe.d adapting the following pid to my case :

# Intel PCH
options snd-hda-intel index=0  model=auto vid=8086 pid=9c20
# Intel HDMI 
options snd-hda-intel index=1  model=auto vid=8086 pid=0a0c

and then edited the .asoundrc to set default now on card 0.

The great thing is that now VLC speaker output works fine after a boot with no need to switch the card etc BUT when I plug my headphones the sound remain on the speakers and nothing come through the jack. HTML5 sound doesn't work neither yet. I don't know what's missing hmm

EDIT 3: I made some resarch regarding not having the headphone jack working and I heard it might help to use hdajackretask, but it doesn't seem to work, "Green Headphone, Front side" was already on "Headphone", so I tried checking the override button and 'install boot overide' but still no headphones after a reboot. Idk what to do now

EDIT 4: Well ... I removed the boot override I just made, rebooted  to find my headphones working properly *_*. I also muted/unmuted the speakers in alsa while pluging the headphones a few times before the reboot so might be that, would be weird though ...
Now the sound works fine on Chromium but still not on firefox.

Last edited by heck (2016-06-06 00:33:20)

Board footer