You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-04 12:49:21

bArchMel

Netclt vs NetworkManager

After sucessfully setting up Arch on my computer with Gnome, I realised that the wifi seemed to 'not be configured properly'. This was when I realised that Gnome uses NetworkManager rather than Netctl. However, after making the switch (in order to have a slightly more graphical wifi setup), I seemed to realise that netctl seemed to be giving me a better connection. i.e. at home I have fiber optic wifi, and I was getting quite a few Mb/s with my connection. Whereas when I was using NetworkManger, my connection seemed to be slower. (sometimes even below 1 Mb). I normally use my computer in the same place each time. Is this just me or is there any other factor involved that could make netctl work faster than NetworkManger.

#2 2016-06-04 16:07:47

tmp-meteque

Re: Netclt vs NetworkManager

I don't get more speed, but I have a more stable connection with netctl/wpa_supplicant than with network manager in my brother's computer. It has a Ralink chipset.
In my laptop with an Intel 6205 I don't see a performance improvement over nm but I prefer its minimal approach.

Cinnamon is the only DE that requires network manager to be installed as a dependency in Arch Linux, you can safely remove it if you want.

IBM Lenovo T430

Board footer