You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-03 23:54:09

justdanyul

Turning off a graphics card

Background: I'm planning on doing a slightly beefier HTPC box, which will be booting into both arch (for the Kodi / general home networking server aspect of this box), and in Win 10 for the occasional gaming session on the big screen.

Now, what I'd like to explore, is the opportunity to turn off the Graphics card (I'm planning on sticking a 1070 in it, which is a bit overkill for a kodi) and run of the onboard graphics when on linux, and run of the beefy card on windows (obviously, just having two HDMI cables connected to the screen at all times)

I was hoping there was some sort of argument to the kernel module i could supply via grub or something, but, I googled and googled and I can't find anything? I find a lot of stuff on Optimus, but I suspect this will be largely unusable in my case right? As this is for laptops? Or doesn't it matter?

All the best,
D

Last edited by justdanyul (2016-06-04 00:06:29)

#2 2016-06-05 15:48:14

Lone_Wolf

Re: Turning off a graphics card

While hybrid graphics started being used on laptops. every system with an integrated gpu AND a discrete one uses some kind of hybrid graphics setup .

The optimus stuff is relevant for you.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer