You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-05 21:37:22

vigilian

which keymap for thinkpad? and how to configure multiple keyboard?

Hi,

1/ I have acquired an old L412 lenovo thinkpad. I was wondering which keymap should I configure for it? I'm on openbox. Is there a special IBM thinkpad keyboard keymap or something?

2/ Also I wanted to do this part of the configuration https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/X_ … _keyboards... But I don't know how to create the xkb file? since the xcomp s marked as deprecated. the keyboard of the thinkpad is qwerty US and I have a french keyboard usb logitech .. so I would like each of them have its configuration...

thenks in advance

#2 2016-06-06 08:18:02

madpierre

Re: which keymap for thinkpad? and how to configure multiple keyboard?

vigilian wrote:

Hi,

1/ I have acquired an old L412 lenovo thinkpad. I was wondering which keymap should I configure for it? I'm on openbox. Is there a special IBM thinkpad keyboard keymap or something?

2/ Also I wanted to do this part of the configuration https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/X_ … _keyboards... But I don't know how to create the xkb file? since the xcomp s marked as deprecated. the keyboard of the thinkpad is qwerty US and I have a french keyboard usb logitech .. so I would like each of them have its configuration...

thenks in advance

You have some research to do.

#3 2016-06-06 08:42:31

tmp-meteque

I think you can do it with a xorg config file. Something like this:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "system-keyboard"
MatchIsKeyboard "on"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "french-keyboard"
MatchUSBID     "xxxx:xxxx"
Option "XkbLayout" "fr"
EndSection

lsusb has a column with the USB ID of your devices.

IBM Lenovo T430

#4 2016-06-06 08:48:23

vigilian

madpierre wrote:
vigilian wrote:

Hi,

thenks in advance

You have some research to do.

I know but I've done 3 complete days of research on that and seems that I don't use the good keywords or everybody knows how to do it without asking any forums.
As I said it seems that it was a simple task before but since the xkbcomp way is deprecated, I can't use it anymore. So a little help would be great.

#5 2016-06-06 11:48:32

vigilian

tmp-meteque wrote:

I think you can do it with a xorg config file. Something like this:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "system-keyboard"
MatchIsKeyboard "on"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "french-keyboard"
MatchUSBID     "xxxx:xxxx"
Option "XkbLayout" "fr"
EndSection

lsusb has a column with the USB ID of your devices.

Ihave tried your way but seems that XkbLayout optio make xorg crash.
I will make some research on that.
Are you sure about inputclass? isn't inputdevice ?

by the way Ican see in your sginatue that you have a thinkpad. What did you precise as layout ?

#6 2016-06-06 12:48:22

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

vigilian wrote:

by the way Ican see in your sginatue that you have a thinkpad. What did you precise as layout ?

I've had countless thinkpads and still have 3 I use daily.  I've never used a layout other than the default.  They're standard qwerty keyboards.  Unless you need foreign language input, you shouldn't need a special layout.  And if you need foreign language input that is what you should look for: there's nothing particular about thinkpad keyboards.*

*edit: except that they're so much better than any other laptop keyboard. smile

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2016-06-06 14:57:09

tmp-meteque

vigilian wrote:

Ihave tried your way but seems that XkbLayout optio make xorg crash.

If you set only one of them, you still have the shame crash?
The xorg logs are in ~/.local/share/xorg. Maybe you can find something useful.

vigilian wrote:

Are you sure about inputclass? isn't inputdevice ?

I have it like that and the wiki shares my opinion.

vigilian wrote:

The functions keys are not included when you choose a layout, if that's what you are asking.

Last edited by tmp-meteque (2016-06-06 14:59:12)

IBM Lenovo T430

#8 2016-06-06 19:08:15

madpierre

Trilby wrote:
vigilian wrote:

I've had countless thinkpads and still have 3 I used daily.  I've never used a layout other than the default.  They're standard qwerty keyboards.  Unless you need foreign language input, you shouldn't need a special layout.  And if you need foreign language input that is what you should look for: there's nothing particular about thinkpad keyboards.

Same here.

Board footer