You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-16 06:31:42

fakemoth

A few Plasma 5 (with sddm, everything updated) problems

I will put them all here, if it is against some forum rule I will break them in separate threads. I was hoping that the updates will fix them but it has been way too long. Have all of them from day one, a fresh installed Arch on my new Skylake system.

1. Mouse corruption - really no clue what is generating this, using the AUR catalyst-test driver. 5-10 times a day my pointer is corrupted and rendered unusable, I get a vertical line of smaller 5-6 cursors... what the hell is that? I have to change resolution or reboot to temporarily get a proper one.
2. Every time when plasma starts (even when relogging), but sometimes even after a longer usage time (once again, this part of the behavior also can't be reproduced, and like the mouse one is purely random, tried in the last few months to figure an action/application/etc related to them, nothing) I get somehow a default look - with the default wallpaper, no widgets so on. I have to right click desktop > Add widgets, then my widget are coming back, my wallpaper so on. Using a monitor and my TV (connected through a Yamaha A/V receiver) with same full HD resolution, in clone mode if it makes any difference.
3. Drag and drop... is weird - I mean can't really drag anything from Dolphin and drop it to an application, to open a file.
4. Default programs.... maaan, why do I set my Chromium as default browser, when Thunderbird keeps opening Firefox, just to be ignored? And so on?
5. Not plasma related https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=203161 (here you can see logs, specs) but all these are making Arch unusable; I am really working on this machine so I kinda need it.

Thanks!

Last edited by fakemoth (2015-10-16 09:59:25)

Don't take the name of root in vain.

#2 2015-10-16 09:54:36

gaelic

Re: A few Plasma 5 (with sddm, everything updated) problems

1. Also experiencing something similar. Mouse gets stuck and is not usable anymore (external mouse on the laptop, pressing the touchpad releases this "freeze")
2. never experienced this one

4. I do not think this is a plasma related problem. I guess Thunderbird ignores the default applications set by KDE/plasma
5. This is really sad. I must say I never experienced these kind of problems using arch with gdm/gnome3; only since sddm/plasma I get system freezes/mouse freezes/and reboot-shutdown problems

#3 2016-06-10 05:22:05

fakemoth

In an effort to make it work I updated:
-the kernel to 4.6;
-xorg;
-dropped Catalyst and I am using Gallium.
And it was still doing the same thing on both openSUSE and Arch - so it's just Plasma 5. Fiddled with the dual display and the problem is gone, more to the point: disabled the TV. So problem is solved, but this is still a bug with the Plasma dual display...

Last edited by fakemoth (2016-06-10 05:23:05)

Don't take the name of root in vain.

#4 2016-06-10 07:26:12

Loose_Control

This patch (https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/125451/) might fix your Multi-screen issues.

Board footer