You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-13 10:17:56

Ron74

Forum Bug??

My user name is Ron74, and yesterday I attempted to make a first post.  However, my password was rejected so I made a new one.

My post was in the newbie section where I thanked someone for solving a problem.

Today, my post is missing.  After doing a search by username, I found several posts by someone who has the same username Ron74.

#2 2016-06-13 10:25:49

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Forum Bug??

Yesterday's post isn't missing: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 7#p1634147

As for posts by someone else with the same usernam - where are they?  You do realize no one else here could possibly differentiate posts by you or someone else with the same username?  Did you first register 6 years ago?  Do you think you may have about 31 posts on these forums?

EDIT:  I do see a consistent IP address associated with the Ron74 accont for all the old posts.  But there is a new IP address that posted yesterday and again today.  I find it highly unlikely that these are two separate people though.  Did you just try to register yesterday?  You say you had to reset your password - I suspect you had an account here already, perhaps long enough ago that you forgot about it.  So instead of creating the account, you had to reset the password.  If this was not your account, the email address associated with it would not be yours.  If you received the email to reset the password, then the "old" Ron74 must be you.

EDIT 2: Both the old and the new IP addresses map to the same part of the same US state.  This further supports that this was your account.

EDIT 3: The writing style between the "old" Ron74 and your last two posts is also consistent.  Admittely this is somewhat subjective and based on a very small sampling, but with several years experience teaching writing classes to students who'd try to pass off others' work as their own I'm accustomed to spotting relevant differences in style.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2016-06-13 14:21:18

ewaller
Administrator

Ron74,
In addition, when you say you made a new password, do you mean that you used the "Forgotten your password?" link?  And did that link send you an email to your email account?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2016-06-13 15:00:51

JohnBobSmith

I hate to jump to the possibility of trolling, BUT, hear me out...

I've heard of cases where someone will make an account somewhere, use it a bit, then go dead for a long time. In this case, 6 years. After that time period they revive the account and pretend to be someone new, or troll, or... whatever. Sometimes they'll make a new account until their style similarities as trilby pointed out get them caught. I'm not saying Ron74 is trolling, but it seems odd that an account dead for 6 years is suddenly revived. Sorry if I've caused more confusion than help...

EDIT: He seems to be only making ~8 posts per year since 2010 and 2 this year. Hm...

Last edited by JohnBobSmith (2016-06-13 15:03:34)

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#5 2016-06-13 15:03:18

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

It doesn't seem odd to me.  Arch has been around a long time.  And the type of person who would be drawn to it 6 years ago is the same type that might be drawn to it today.  Simply forgetting that one had an account on some website 6 years ago is perfectly reasonable and certainly the most parsimonious explanation.

But lets leave it now for Ron to reply to hopefully clarify the issue.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2016-06-13 15:04:00

JohnBobSmith

Alright smile

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

Board footer