You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-15 10:40:33

carlsoncalvin

[SOLVED] fsck error on boot

Hey everyone, I just this morning completed the process of loading Arch Linux to my machine from USB and I'm having some trouble when I try to boot it up. Here's the full dialouge that shows when I try to boot normally:

starting version 230
/dev/sda1 has unsupported feature(s): metadata_csum
e2fsck: Get a newer version of e2fsck!
ERROR: fsck failed on '/dev/sda1'
[    3.366439] EEXT4-fs (sda1): Cannot load crc32c driver.
mount: mount(2) failed: No such file or directory
You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off 

I've been able to get passed this by selecting Advanced Options in Grub and selecting the fallback option, where I have then been able to boot up properly and set up GNOME and all that other stuff. I have spent the past many hours trying all sorts of things to fix this, so I can just boot up normally. I can't seem to find really info on my particular situation, and what I can find is normally pretty over my head (though I've been trying pretty much everything- I've learned a lot!). I've tried geting a newer of e2fsck, as it suggests, but it is already up to date. I've made sure everything in my fstab file is correct (I think), I've updated and reinstalled basically everything on the system at least once, and scoured archwiki for any info. I'm at a complete loss, so I'm turning to the community. Any information any of you could spare would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by carlsoncalvin (2016-06-15 11:04:17)

#2 2016-06-15 10:45:40

Slithery
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] fsck error on boot

Try adding crc32c to the modules in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and rebuilding the initramfs.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2016-06-15 11:02:02

carlsoncalvin

Re: [SOLVED] fsck error on boot

That did it! I'm still getting the first part of that error:

starting version 230
/dev/sda1 has unsupported feature(s): metadata_csum
e2fsck: Get a newer version of e2fsck!
ERROR: fsck failed on '/dev/sda1'

But at least it boots up on it own. Is that detrimental, in any way?

Also thank you so much, now I know.

Board footer