You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-18 01:53:21

svbtext

~/.config directory lost during symlinking?

Alright, I'm not proud to admit it but this is the "newbie" corner after all. I'm going to do everything I can to explain what happened, so sorry if this is a huge block of text.

Last night while figuring out the best way to get my dotfiles on github, I ended up using RCM. After I made my ~/.dotfiles directory and symlinked the things I needed into there, I realized I put the entirety of my ~/.config in there. No big deal, I'll just delete that symlink, right? Well honestly I have no idea how or why but now my original ~/.config dir is broken, everything in it being a broken link. Opening any of the files in vim shows they're completely blank.

Most of the stuff was trivial or easy to just recreate, but there are a few things I'm stuck on. For one, in Firefox all my menus are huge and now look like this. I'm guessing that has to do with the gtk configs being lost, but I'm not sure how to recreate them? I moved the original .config to a temporary location and made a new ~/.config, and re-opening most programs and letting them make their config files again has worked so far but I don't know what to do for Firefox.

Hope someone can help me understand what's going on.

#2 2016-06-18 10:50:08

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: ~/.config directory lost during symlinking?

I'd say you need to change the way the menus look inside firefox itself, that's the only thing I can think of.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2016-06-18 13:07:12

teateawhy
Website

Re: ~/.config directory lost during symlinking?

Move your firefox profile in .mozilla to a different location. Firefox should then create a new profile, this could help, but i'm not sure.

Board footer