You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-18 17:10:33

monkeypants

[SOLVED] GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX with multiple luks devices

SOLVED Technically not solved.  I am going to spend some time revising system encryption, the Chromebook guide I wrote is really not applicable to my modern system.

I'm currently reinstalling Arch.  I've got two drives, my SSD is sda and an older mechanical drive sdb.  I want to encrypt both devices.  sda will be the root and sdb will be home.

I've been loosely following this guide that I wrote some time ago for a Chromebook that only had one drive.  The main difference here is that I'm using two drives and I am not using any swap space.

my /etc/fstab has ended up in the following format

# /dev/mapper/vg0-root
UUID=xxxx    /    ext4    rw,relatime,data=ordered    0 1

# /dev/sda1
UUID=xxxx    /boot    ext4    rw,relatime,data=ordered    0 2

# /dev/mapper/vg1-home
UUID=xxxx    /home    ext4    rw,relatime,data=ordered    0 2

I'm at the step where I install grub, and I would appreciate it if someone could confirm that I'm adding the correct GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX to /etc/default/grub before I continue

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="cryptdevice=/dev/disk/by-uuid/xxxx:vg0 root=/dev/mapper/vg0-root cryptdevice=/dev/disk/by-uuid/xxxx:vg1 home=/dev/mapper/vg1-home"

I have put the correct UUIDs in, I just replaced them with xxxx here for formatting.  I am concerned mainly with two things.

1. Is home=/dev/mapper/vg1-home correct, or should it be root/home=/dev/mapper/vg1-home?

2. Do I need to include ro in there?  In my original guide I have ro after the resume=/dev/mapper/vg0-swap.  I am not using swap this time so can I omit ro, or is it required for the preceding parts?  If I do require ro, do I need only include it once at the end or does it need to be repeated after certain parts?

If there is anything else that I might have missed, that isn't covered in my guide but is required for my new 2 drive setup, please let me know.

Edit:
I realise my original guide has the note "If you have any other partitions such as home, they do not need to be listed here – they should have been generated in the fstab file."  I do not believe this to be correct in the situation where home is on a separate drive, because the device is mapped separately?

Last edited by monkeypants (2016-06-18 19:10:02)

#2 2016-06-18 18:02:15

teateawhy
Website

Re: [SOLVED] GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX with multiple luks devices

Non-root encrypted partitions are unlocked via crypttab and mounted via fstab. Remove the  home= and the second cryptdevice= words from the cmdline.
For the fstab, i don't see the point of using UUIDS instead of the more readable /dev/mapper/vg0-root, which is already unique.
EDIT: Also, specify discard in the fstab for SSDs, and specify discard in the LUKS and LVM options.

Last edited by teateawhy (2016-06-18 18:04:12)

#3 2016-06-18 18:15:36

monkeypants

and specify discard in the LUKS and LVM options.

Where do I do this, in the fstab?  so it would be

# /dev/mapper/vg0-root
UUID=xxxx    /    ext4    rw,relatime,discard,data=ordered    0 1

# /dev/sda1
UUID=xxxx    /boot    ext4    rw,relatime,discard,data=ordered    0 2

# /dev/mapper/vg1-home
UUID=xxxx    /home    ext4    rw,relatime,discard,data=ordered    0 2

Last edited by monkeypants (2016-06-18 18:24:05)

#4 2016-06-18 18:21:44

teateawhy
Website

... specify the discard mount option. Was a bit unclear.
EDIT: You can read the article on "SSD" for details.

Last edited by teateawhy (2016-06-18 18:36:26)

#5 2016-06-18 18:48:15

monkeypants

teateawhy wrote:

... specify the discard mount option. Was a bit unclear.
EDIT: You can read the article on "SSD" for details.

I understand the discard for the SSD entries, I'm confused about where the LUKS and LVM options are.  Do you mean I should add discard also to the vg1-home entry in fstab, which is on a mechanical hdd but is also encrypt?

#6 2016-06-18 18:50:40

teateawhy
Website

monkeypants wrote:

I'm confused about where the LUKS and LVM options are.

Read the article on "SSD", it's in there.

#7 2016-06-18 19:08:39

monkeypants

teateawhy wrote:
monkeypants wrote:

I'm confused about where the LUKS and LVM options are.

Read the article on "SSD", it's in there.

I'm going to mark the thread as solved.  I think the guide I wrote for my Chromebook is not really applicable in this case, and there is clearly a lot of information that I've forgotten so I need to sit down with the Arch wiki this evening and do a few hours of reading and planning.

Thanks for the assistance, I'll probably be back with a new thread later tonight...

Board footer