You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-19 04:34:18

HappyClown

[SOLVED] Xorg running slow after updating, wondering why.

I'm not looking for a fix, but I want to know why Xorg seems to be running so slow this new update. This is particularly bothersome to me because I have an intel video card which runs horribly on Linux (I'm getting two Nvidia's soon). I was just wondering what's different and if something huge is happening, since things tend to break when people write new and innovative code, just before fixing the bugs.

Last edited by HappyClown (2016-06-19 07:07:52)

#2 2016-06-19 04:46:40

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Xorg running slow after updating, wondering why.

Lots of threads about this: search for Firefox lagging and similar titles.

You could also try removing xf86-video-intel and relying on the native modesetting driver. See the wiki page for details.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2016-06-19 06:18:29

HappyClown

I checked the forums for similar titles and have only found two suggestions. One being removing the driver and the other one is switching to the LTS kernel. While this did start happening after a kernel update, I don't really think it's responsible and I'm naturally hesitant to mess with my bootloader since I have a great setup.

After uninstalling xf86-video-intel, I've had the pain of my login manager not starting and not being able to switch TTY's and stay switched, so I had to use the maintenance CD to reinstall the driver.

Also, I never really asked for a fix, just an explanation.

#4 2016-06-19 06:52:53

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

New kernels always introduce new functionality, and sometimes, regressions or other surprises...

Please remember to mark your thread as [Solved] by editing your first post and prepending it to the title.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer