You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-22 02:23:37

shield_of_hope

[SOLVED]Steam: No sound in certain games

One day I noticed that sounds have dissappeared in some games in my Steam library. The other games such as Counter Strike 1.6 and Counter Strike: Source ran just fine but games like Faster Than Light, Don't Starve and War Thunder did not. I found a solution for Don't Starve in Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/St … 27t_Starve but the two other games remain still silent (I don't have very much games in my library).

I have already tried so many different ways to solve this problem that I can remember only fraction of them.

• I have libraries alsa-lib, alsa-plugins, alsa-utils, pulseaudio-alsa, zita-alsa-pcmi, lib32-alsa-lib, lib32-alsa-plugins, libao, libcanberra-pulse, libpulse, pavucontrol, pulseaudio, and pulseaudio-alsa installed.

• I have disabled HDMI audio in Pulseaudio Volume Control. Removing PulseAudio is not an option because Skype doesn't work without it.

• Deleting the alsa-lib folder and the libasound.so.* files from ~/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ didn't have any effect, neither starting Steam with

STEAM_RUNTIME=0 steam

• Adding launch options

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="" %command%

for the games doesn't do anything.

A weird thing is that all the sounds work on my laptop but not on my desktop computer although both have latest updates installed. Do you have any ideas of what to try next?

EDIT: The issue really was that I had a custom .asoundrc file in my home directory that I had used to tinker with the sound system. Removing the file solved the problem.

Last edited by shield_of_hope (2017-06-12 12:21:04)

#2 2016-06-22 07:23:09

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED]Steam: No sound in certain games

Error messages/console logs from games? Are you sure they don't have sound and aren't just e.g. on the wrong output card in pulseaudio/pavucontrol? Can you post a

sudo fuser -v /dev/snd/*
pacmd list-sinks
pacmd list-sink-inputs

while it doesn't work? Do you have a custom .asoundrc in your home that shouldn't be there? (All you should have is the /etc/asound.conf provided by pulseaudio-alsa)

Board footer