You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-22 17:48:51

Maxiride

[Solved] Cinnamon crash - fallback mode after nvidia\nvidia-libgl

Hello everyone, I recently joined the Arch world. After successfully installing it on my laptop I've been using it without any troubles until today.
My Asus N53SV has optimus technology with an Intel + Nvidia GT540M (m stands for mobile) graphic card.

I followed the Nvidia wiki on the Arch's wiki doing the following:
- yaourt -S nvidia
- yaourt -S nvidia-libgl
Both commands ran without errors, anyway after rebooting (all checks at boot are OK green) LightDM shows correctly and I'm able to login, after the login Cinnamon says that's is unable to load and crashed going into fallback mode.

My /etc/X11 does not contain any xorg.conf, neither does /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

Here is my xorg log: pastebin.com/SDM91ud4
Sorry for any bad formatting but I'm currently using Elinks from a tty and the pastebin script in the AUR, I thought the fallback mode of cinnamon still provived some functionality but software shortcuts, terminal shortcut doesn't work. Panels and menus are not shown too.
After running in this issue I also tried to run:
- yaourt -R nvidia
- yaourt -R nvidia-libgl
without success in restoring the laptop usage.

An additional info is that the laptop has a built in led attached to the motherbord which changes color Blue for the Intel and White for the Nvidia card. Uninstalling the drivers brought the led back to blue so I'm sure the dedicated card was not running even tho cinnamon was still crashing.

of course I'll provide any additional infos if needed

Last edited by Maxiride (2016-06-24 06:53:35)

#2 2016-06-22 18:10:31

richin13

Re: [Solved] Cinnamon crash - fallback mode after nvidia\nvidia-libgl

This same thing happened to me once.

As far as I remember you need to add your monitor to xorg.conf
Mine looks like this

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       24.0 - 83.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 77.0
    Option         "DPMS"
    Option         "DPI" "96 x 96"
EndSection

I had to search my monitor's specs (specifically the ones related to the DPI and the horizontal sync and vertical refresh)
and set them in that section of the file

#3 2016-06-22 18:18:00

loqs

Maxiride wrote:

My Asus N53SV has optimus technology with an Intel + Nvidia GT540M (m stands for mobile) graphic card.

I followed the Nvidia wiki on the Arch's wiki doing the following:
- yaourt -S nvidia
- yaourt -S nvidia-libgl

My /etc/X11 does not contain any xorg.conf, neither does /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

From Nvidia (emphasis added)

This article covers installing and configuring NVIDIA's proprietary graphic card driver. For information about the open-source drivers, see Nouveau. If you have a laptop with hybrid Intel/NVIDIA graphics, see NVIDIA Optimus instead.

Nvidia Optimus
Edit:

Maxiride wrote:

yaourt -R nvidia-libgl

Would have expected that to fail unless you used -Rcs because of other packages depending upon libgl which nvidia-libgl provides.

Last edited by loqs (2016-06-22 18:47:32)

#4 2016-06-23 08:25:38

Maxiride

loqs wrote:

From Nvidia (emphasis added)

This article covers installing and configuring NVIDIA's proprietary graphic card driver. For information about the open-source drivers, see Nouveau. If you have a laptop with hybrid Intel/NVIDIA graphics, see NVIDIA Optimus instead.

Nvidia Optimus

Thanks for the infos, my fault about the Nvidia Optimus wiki page, I thought that setup was needed only in the case ones wanted to be able to switch cards.

Anyway I followed the wiki and now cinnamon loads apparently with no errors. However the screen resolution is completely wrong ahah.

I tried to add in my xorg.conf the following but it gets ignored
SubSection "Display"
        Depth    24
        Modes     "1366x768"
    EndSubSection
So I removed it and proceeded as suggested in the troubleshooting section of the Nvidia optimus wiki page adding the EDID options and paths, one thing changed, the resolution is still 640x480 but the screen is not aligned with the physical display (before it was centered) the top left corner ended in the middle of the display making the DE going out of screen.

Xorg log: pastebin.com/DQKdafLE
Xorg.conf: pastebin.com/7TKT7TWf

EDIT:
Oddly enough the xorg log on line 227 says: "(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "CRT-0:1366x768"

richin13 wrote:

This same thing happened to me once.

I had to search my monitor's specs (specifically the ones related to the DPI and the horizontal sync and vertical refresh)
and set them in that section of the file

I'm sorry but adding the DPI\refresh rate etc didn't changed anything :\

By the way the whole Nvidia Optimus guide runs about modifying the xorg.conf when the Bumblebee wiki says:

If integrated graphics had previously been disabled and discrete graphics drivers installed, be sure to remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf or the conf file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d related to the discrete graphics card.

Last edited by Maxiride (2016-06-23 09:00:10)

#5 2016-06-23 15:55:29

loqs

Did you try

Section "Module"
    Load "modesetting"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID "1:00:0"
    Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"
EndSection

Without anything else in your xorg.conf
Plus the changes to LightDM before you moved on to that more complex xorg.conf?
Also your pastbin links are not being processed properly due to not starting https or http or using url tags

#6 2016-06-23 16:43:57

Maxiride

Cleaning the Xorg.conf almost did the job!

Now LightDM shows properly at the right resolution and centered in the physical monitor. After logging in however the screen is black BUT I noticed (pure luck) that at the right of the screen there was a little vetical gray line -> turns out it's the mouse and I can move it only in the right direction (out of the monitor) like if the right margin of the monitor had a wall.

Using the shortcut to change virtual desktop brought in the cinnamon desktop with my widgets, however the mouse is still locked in the same way and somehow the main panel (with clock, menu etc) is missing.
It feels like everything is fine except that the rendering of the screens happens "one monitor on the right"

The resolution is correct.

Now my machine has:
- xorg.conf as the one you posted
- LightDM is setted as in wiki, with the .sh executable and it's corresponding call in the lightdm.conf

Xorg log: http://pastebin.com/91sL7kdt

I'll investigate further and edit the post if I find out additional infos or a solution.

Edit: typos, furthermore I forgot to mention that the mouse pointer shows normally while in LightDM. Only after logging it gets locked out of the monitor.

Last edited by Maxiride (2016-06-23 17:49:06)

#7 2016-06-23 19:29:54

Maxiride

Decided to give a shot to bumblebee and following it's wiki everything is working fine now!
I'll mark as solved the thread tomorrow just in case something else get to the surface.

Edit:
I did some more testing myself after seeing that following the bumblebee wiki solved the issue I rolled pack step by step and turns out the main issue has been with the nvidia-libgl package, substituting it  with the mesa one solved my issue.

Last edited by Maxiride (2016-06-24 06:55:37)

Board footer