You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-26 13:11:02

peyloride

Acer ES 13 Fan Not Working - Edit: Some kind of power saving problem

I have bizarre problem. I just installed my first Arch on Acer ES 13 (Intel Celeron N3150). During the installation fan was working nice. After installation fan was working too. But after a while ( i dont really when because i spend a lot to solve my problems) fan stopped working. And i dont know why. I made a research but i cant find anything related to me.

I tried to make sensors-detect but no luck. I was using Ubuntu Mate 16.04 before arch and same things happens to it. I think i have problem with kernel since i'm using very new and not really supported cpu.

Also i'm pretty sure that is not an hardware problem because during the boot or booting from usb drive to archiso or anything else; fan working pretty well.

I'm really new to here, i really dont know which logs to provide before ask. Sorry for that.

Thanks.

Last edited by peyloride (2016-06-26 00:30:01)

#2 2016-05-26 13:46:41

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Acer ES 13 Fan Not Working - Edit: Some kind of power saving problem

Welcome to arch Linux.  What are your CPU temperatures doing when you expect the fan to be on? 
Are we talking about a CPU fan, or a GPU fan?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-05-26 14:27:26

peyloride

Thank  you.

We are talking about CPU fan. My laptop doesnt have a secondary GPU already.

On usb booting some distro or installing arch fan works at any tempature. But not same level of course.

I can feel my laptop's back getting hot when cpu temp hits ~60C.

Since my cpu is not the stongest out there i didnt see above 65C. But i can hear something weird when i listen fan. There is a small noise coming out. When fan works, there is not a sound like this.

#4 2016-05-26 14:37:52

ewaller
Administrator

65C is not that hot (to a CPU).  Take a look around is /sys/class/thermal/  In there there are "Files" that are dynamically generated by the kernel.   There will be directories for cooling devices and for thermal zones.  In those directories, there are "Files" that identify the current state and trip points of various events.  Look at the contents of the files that define trip points in the thermal zone directories and see if they make sense.

Unfortunately, those structures and file names are machine dependent.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#5 2016-05-26 14:58:49

peyloride

Hmm i just cd into /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0 and there is a files that you mention with trip point.

ls /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0:

available_policies  cdev1             cdev2_trip_point  cdev3_weight     k_i   offset  subsystem          trip_point_0_type  uevent
cdev0               cdev1_trip_point  cdev2_weight      device           k_po  policy  sustainable_power  trip_point_1_temp
cdev0_trip_point    cdev1_weight      cdev3             integral_cutoff  k_pu  power   temp               trip_point_1_type
cdev0_weight        cdev2             cdev3_trip_point  k_d              mode  slope   trip_point_0_temp  type
cat cdev0_trip_point:

cat trip_point_0_temp:

cat trip_point_1_temp:

Is that means my fan work when CPU temp hits 90C or 105C ? I really dont understand which file to look and what it does.

➜  cooling_device4 cat /sys/class/thermal/cooling_device0/cur_state
➜  cooling_device4 cat /sys/class/thermal/cooling_device1/cur_state
➜  cooling_device4 cat /sys/class/thermal/cooling_device2/cur_state
➜  cooling_device4 cat /sys/class/thermal/cooling_device3/cur_state
➜  cooling_device4 cat /sys/class/thermal/cooling_device4/cur_state
➜  cooling_device4 cat /sys/class/thermal/cooling_device5/cur_state

If you need any logs or some output just tell me. Thanks.

Edit: I tried to downgrade to LTS kernel. Fan is working now but this was happens me once. After a while, fan will not be work on lts kernel i suppose.

Last edited by peyloride (2016-05-26 15:36:14)

#6 2016-05-29 20:37:23

peyloride

I have to bump. Fan is works only after suspend and resume. Otherwise it does not work. I think there is a some minor bug in configs. Anyone got idea?

Edit: Also i can not do poweroff after suspend. It hangs after Stopping Dbus OK.

Last edited by peyloride (2016-05-29 20:57:59)

#7 2016-05-29 21:06:40

ewaller
Administrator

I had seen that you were using LTS, so I thought you had a working solution.   Sorry about that.
What kernel are you now using?   Yes, I think the "file" indicates the fan should come on at 90C.

Have you tried the 4.6 kernel (in testing)?

---

#8 2016-05-29 21:57:19

peyloride

Nope. I cant suspend and fan is not working in 4.5 kernel. Fan is working after suspend in LTS kernel. 

Is there a way to install testing kernel without applying testin repo? Because i read its is not recommended to do it in arch wiki. Since i'm new to Arch is there a better way?,

Edit: I think i figured out. I'll manually download package from mirrors and i'll do pacman -U to install it. I'll let you know when its finished.

Edit2: Well i managed to boot with 4.6 kernel and suspend works with some bugs. Mate (my DE) didnt start after wake up but i managed to do it via tty. But fan is not working again before and after suspend.

Last edited by peyloride (2016-05-29 22:09:04)

#9 2016-05-30 00:21:43

peyloride

Well i was started to look for another kernels. And i came across the Linux CK precompiled for specific cpu architectures and i give it a shot. After a bit struggle installed it and fan is working properly. But there is another problem now, suspend is not working. When i try to suspend just black screen appears and nothing happens.

#10 2016-06-26 00:29:30

peyloride

So after a while i figured it out when i plug charge cable and boot, fan works perfect no matter which kernel i use. From this point i think problem is based on some kinda power saving module. How can i check it or solve it?

#11 2016-07-18 12:19:42

peyloride

My pc is 67C right now and fan doesnt work. Its really annoying me. Isnt there anything i can do?

Board footer