You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-26 01:54:58

eggDropSoup

alsamixer & chromium slow to launch / gnome volume adjust freezes pc

I've tried typing this several times now, and it always ends up being a book!

Long story short I've had issues with Arch, Antergos, and Manjaro in regards to Chromium (and Chrome) taking about 15 seconds to launch, as well as adjusting the volume in Gnome task bar freezing the computer for about 15 seconds as well. Everything else launches quickly. I'm on an HP Envy 14-1000 laptop (circa 2010) with an Intel i5-480M, ati 5650 dedicated gpu w 1gb vram, 2x2GB DDR3 1066mhz in dual channel, and a Samsung 840 EVO SSD. I've tried fresh installs of all of these, trying different DE's along the way. I then tried non-Arch based distros: Fedora 24 Beta and Ubuntu 16.xx - the issue isn't present here. So far the common denominator for me has been Arch based distros.

Oddly enough, I "fixed it" a few days ago on my Antergos install, but the "fix" only lasted about 2 days. Through Googling I found someone with a similar issue that was resolved by disabling LightDM and using GDM. I tried it and it worked - like I said, 2 days later it was back to the same problem. Disabling GDM, enabling LightDM -> and then disabling LightDM and enabling GDM didn't fix it this time. The fact that it worked the first time is odd to me because my understanding is the DM is mainly for logging in/out of the system?

I'm now on a brand new Arch install with Gnome. I used the Arch Beginners Guide, as well as a write up by someone named Swapnil, and other random Googling for recommendations on how to setup partitions. I setup GDM from the start instead of LightDM. The issue of Chromium taking ~15 seconds to load is still present. And now the volume adjust in Gnome task bar just has a speaker icon with an X, and adjusting still freezes the computer - although it never actually adjusts the audio. If I try running alsamixer from the terminal, it takes about 15 seconds to show up (and doesn't output any errors before doing so).

The one thing that is different for this Arch install compared to the Antergos/Manjaro install is I used the ATI gpu driver, whereas the GUI installer for the other two was using the onboard graphics of the i5-480M.

Any help would be appreciated. I will try to provide any extra details needed - just bare with me because I'm still learning!

Thanks!

eDS

#2 2016-06-26 02:27:09

eggDropSoup

Re: alsamixer & chromium slow to launch / gnome volume adjust freezes pc

*Installed pulseaudio package, and that fixed the Gnome task bar having an X on the audio and the slider not moving. However, it still freezes the PC for about 15 seconds as described above.

Board footer