You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-27 05:39:33

greg9804

USB mount problems

I read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/US … ge_devices, but it did not help me. I have LXDE. How should I mount usb, so that I can read and write on it without root?

#2 2016-06-27 07:20:48

olive

Re: USB mount problems

You must clarify what you really want. I will summarize here the different possibilities; if that remain unclear ask clarifications.

The old fashion way
This is done via fstab. You can allow users to mount devices without being root via the user(s) option. See "man mount" for the difference between user and users and the wiki. You can put an entry in fstab by label, uuid or device but you can't specify something like "arbitrary USB devices").

The new desktop oriented way
In desktop environment (KDE, Gnome, XFCE), the desktop (or the file manager belonging to the Desktop environment) is able to automount USB media or to mount them when you click on them (usually via a configuration option). I don't know the specific of LXDE but this desktop environment is pretty basic; I don't know if they offer support for it. This is done via udisk. In XFCE you need to install gvfs (and its dependency udisks2) for it to work. This right is only allowed to users that are physically on the PC (via the support of login manager, login in the console work too).
An alternative is to use udiskie-mount from the package udiskie (see the wiki for reference) to do from the command line what the usual Desktop environment do. I have never used it, though, so I can't help you much.

#3 2016-06-27 07:46:17

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: USB mount problems

"It did not help me" is not a error message, nor anything that can be acted upon.

Please read How To Ask Questions The Smart Way and describe exactly what you have tried, and what is not working.

Not an Installation issue, moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer