You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-25 00:37:26

urosstegic

Plasma 5 and Java Swing problem

Hello all,

I have trouble running Java Swing applications. For now, both Netbeans and PhpStorm looks weird under KDE Plasma 5. On my other laptop with Arch Linux and GNOME everithing works as a charm but on Plasma i get this weird looks. I've tried setting every option as described on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ja … leshooting and nothing helped. Also, i have installed openjdk7, openjdk8 and oracle-jdk8 and all three of them give me that swing anomaly. Apparently, Swings look and feel isn't very popular among people so googling that Swing looks wrong won't return relevant results. I tried googling everything i could think of and also tried to look for help on IRC channel but nothing seems to work. Posting on forum is my last resort.

Does anyone have a clue what is going on and how to fix this?

#2 2016-05-28 23:04:09

Recurve

Re: Plasma 5 and Java Swing problem

Hey,

Probably you fixed the issue already but I experienced the same problem and want to provide a solution. In my case the reason for this problem were missing fonts.
I solved the issue by installing additional fonts:

yaourt -S ttf-ms-fonts

#3 2016-05-28 23:32:50

urosstegic

Wow,

I wasn't expecting an answer to this one. I reinstalled the system and after that it just worked. I don't recall installing such fonts and I installed Arch manually, no install scripts what so ever. Are you positive that you only installed fonts and it just worked? I mean, I don't have that bug anymore, but if anyone comes across it could be useful to be sure what causes that problem. Currently I do have them installed so it could be the case, and i highly depend on Jetbrains software right now so i'm kinda affraid to experiment.

Thanks for the solution smile

#4 2016-05-29 09:36:05

Recurve

Before the problem occured everything worked fine but yesterday I started messing around with fonts because of an issue with powerline. I should have mentioned that I didn't install arch from scratch as you did. I use antergos and chose the google fonts as an additional shipment during the installation process. To resolve my issue with powerline I removed all additionally installed fonts including the google package. Afterwards, no java swing application was working properly anymore. So, I assume that I removed a font required by swing. I didn't took any further actions than the above mentioned installation of the ms-fonts.

Update: I removed the font package and the problem occured again

Last edited by Recurve (2016-05-29 09:47:14)

#5 2016-06-27 18:30:27

diederick76

I had exactly the problem described above and resolved it with the solution mentioned by @Recurve.

#6 2016-06-30 15:43:31

csingley

I was running Java Swing apps just fine under Plasma 5.  After a system upgrade, experienced the problem documented here.  Installing the MSFT core fonts cleared up the problem for me too.

Thanks Recurve!

Board footer