You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-27 18:35:29

daynite
Banned

Installed systemd-boot. Arch works but no Windows entry.

Hello!

I have a installed Windows 10 x64-bit with UEFI. I want to keep it beside so I tried to install Arch Linux (2016.06.01) with UEFI aswell. I followed the Beginners' guide and actually it worked well. But i was not able to get the Dualboot to work right. When I start my computer you can see the BIOS/ UEFI Text like 'Press key A to enter setup'. After this my screen stays with background lighting for a few secons black and then Arch Linux boots without any errors. Instead of this I want a menu where I can choose whether to boot WIndows or Arch Linux.

Because I use an Intel CPU i installed the package 'intel-ucode'  like the guide recommended. After that I used #bootctl install to install systemd-boot. Next I edited '/boot/loader/loader.conf'

$cat /boot/loader/loader.conf
default arch
#timeout 5
editor 0

/boot/loader/entries/arch.conf was the next.

$cat /boot/loader/entries/arch.conf
title   Arch Linux
linux   /vmlinuz-linux
initrd /intel-ucode.img
initrd  /initramfs-linux.img
options root=PARTUUID=3bccdab4-67cd-1cdd-26a3-8d1e34821363 rw
# initrd=/intel-ucode.img initrd=/initramfs-linux.img

I tried to enable microcode updates like the link in the guide said. I'm not sure if I did it right, thats why I commented some code.
Okay now I wanted to create a entry for Windows. I created a win.conf in the same folder as arch.conf

$cat /boot/loader/entries/win.conf
title   Windows 10
options root=PARTUUID=b6dacacf-4f94-4193-9665-a0a8634f1283 rw

I guess here are more information needed, but I have no template. What have I done wrong? What did I missed? Secure-Boot is off.

Have a great day!

#2 2016-06-27 18:41:09

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Installed systemd-boot. Arch works but no Windows entry.

As a sanity check, tell us which boot loader you are using.
The ucode update is important; Once you are booted, does the journal indicate that the ucode updates are installed and working?  I ask because it will help confirm that the arch.conf file you provided is actually controlling the start up.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-06-27 19:09:57

daynite
Banned

I'm sorry if I get this totally wrong: I thought systemd-boot IS the boot loader provided by systemd. I didn't install any other loader.

Hopefully this is the information you asked for:

# dmesg | grep microcode
[    0.000000] microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0x1e, date = 2015-08-13
[    0.578093] microcode: CPU0 sig=0x306c3, pf=0x2, revision=0x1e
[    0.578116] microcode: CPU1 sig=0x306c3, pf=0x2, revision=0x1e
[    0.578138] microcode: CPU2 sig=0x306c3, pf=0x2, revision=0x1e
[    0.578161] microcode: CPU3 sig=0x306c3, pf=0x2, revision=0x1e
[    0.578281] microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.01 <tigran@aivazian.fsnet.co.uk>, Peter Oruba

#4 2016-06-27 20:03:39

ewaller
Administrator

No problem.  I don't use a boot loader at all.  Others prefer Grub, others prefer rEFInd.  Some people install more than one and become hopelessly confused; that is why I did a sanity check smile

Are you saying then that bootctl did not generate the Windows information?  I'm working from memory, but it should be automatic
Do you get a menu at all at start up?   Any chance you used a tool like efibootmgr to configure it so Linux boots directly?
Any chance you nuked Windows when you did the install?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#5 2016-06-27 20:30:37

daynite
Banned

$ sudo bootctl

System:
     Firmware: UEFI 2.31 (American Megatrends 4.654)
  Secure Boot: disabled
   Setup Mode: user

Loader:
      Product: systemd-boot 230
    Partition: /dev/disk/by-partuuid/4a07a291-86cc-482f-a17b-4e00d5407232
         File: └─/EFI/SYSTEMD/SYSTEMD-BOOTX64.EFI

Boot Loader Binaries:
          ESP: /dev/disk/by-partuuid/4a07a291-86cc-482f-a17b-4e00d5407232
         File: └─/EFI/systemd/systemd-bootx64.efi (systemd-boot 230)
         File: └─/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi (systemd-boot 230)

Boot Loader Entries in EFI Variables:
        Title: Linux Boot Manager
           ID: 0x0001
         File: └─/EFI/SYSTEMD/SYSTEMD-BOOTX64.EFI

Title: Windows Boot Manager
           ID: 0x0000
         File: └─/EFI/MICROSOFT/BOOT/BOOTMGFW.EFI

If I rerun bootctl install I get this:

$ sudo bootctl install

Copied "/usr/lib/systemd/boot/efi/systemd-bootx64.efi" to "/boot/EFI/systemd/systemd-bootx64.efi".
Copied "/usr/lib/systemd/boot/efi/systemd-bootx64.efi" to "/boot/EFI/Boot/BOOTX64.EFI".
Created EFI boot entry "Linux Boot Manager".

Does this mean the Windows Bootloader is found but not installed? Yes I thought it should be found automatically if esp is located at /boot.
I get no menu at the startup. Only the text where ist says stuff like 'press key F11 for entering BIOS setup. etc.' I dindn't use any tool, just edited the files mentioned in the guide and I posted here.
Well, I cant prove my windows isn't damaged but I feel quite save installing arch with the guide so I would say no. smile

#6 2016-06-27 20:46:33

ewaller
Administrator

Try getting the pre-boot menu for your system (often erroneously called the BIOS menu).  See if there is a Windows entry.  You should have that, and the Linux loader (systemd-boot) , and perhaps a USB, DVD or PXE option. 
If there is a Window entry, see if it works.

---

#7 2016-06-27 21:03:42

daynite
Banned

Ok, that was a GREAT idea! smile

You were totally right. The menu has an entry for Windows and Linux. I can boot both systems without any problems. Now I can at least use Windows too, if I'm fast at startup smile
Anyway, Windows seems to be not broken.

#8 2016-06-27 21:25:24

ewaller
Administrator

Great!  I am going to stand down as I am not a systemd-boot expert and this seems to be nontrivial. I am sure someone who is knowledgeable will step up.

---

#9 2016-06-30 06:56:20

Omar007

Uncomment the line "timeout 5" in /boot/loader/loader.conf
And optionally change the timeout value if you want ofc wink

EDIT:
Oh and you don't need to create a conf file for windows so remove /boot/loader/entries/win.conf

Last edited by Omar007 (2016-06-30 06:58:29)

#10 2016-07-02 00:18:49

daynite
Banned

Hello, and thanks for your answer.

I edited loader.conf and set the timeout value to X. Beside this I removed win.conf, like you told me. Unfortunately it had no effects except that my screen will stay black for X seconds before the linux boot begins.

greetings

#11 2016-07-04 11:04:07

Omar007

Ok it is odd that you're still not seeing anything but at least we do have it waiting for a selection now. (no timeout defined == instantly boot default unless 'space' is held during boot).

Also, fyi: even if for some reason the 'Windows Boot Manager' entry would be missing, you'd normally still see the menu (assuming you've set a timeout) with 2 options; 'Arch Linux' and 'EFI Default Loader'.

You could try pressing the down arrow once and then press enter to see if it boots windows (if everything is ok I believe the order for you should be 1) Arch Linux, 2) Windows Boot Manager, 3) EFI Default Loader, with 1) Arch Linux being the default selection).
If that works I wonder if it's rendering off-screen for some weird reason (do you have any other monitors attached?)...

Last edited by Omar007 (2016-07-04 11:05:40)

#12 2016-07-04 21:48:46

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Omar007 wrote:

no timeout defined == instantly boot default unless 'space' is held during boot

^ This.

@OP: Try holding down the space bar during bootup, this should show the systemd-boot menu.

The Windows bootmanager appears to be present on your ESP (/boot/EFI/MICROSOFT/BOOT/BOOTMGFW.EFI) and so a menu entry should be generated automatically.

A manual entry would look like this:

title Windows
loader EFI/MICROSOFT/BOOT/BOOTMGFW.EFI

But it shouldn't be needed...

#13 2016-07-05 22:27:09

daynite
Banned

Hey guys!

So you had some good advices which generate more questions for me:

When I start my pc I told you that my screen will stay black after the first picture where it says the stuff like 'press key for bios setup, etc.' Well, its seems that during this few seconds which seem to be the time defined in '/boot/loader/loader.conf' the systemd-boot menu IS present but it isn't shown. I tried to select blind my Windows entry by using the Down-Arrow-Key and voila Windows boots. Also if I hit the Enter-key Linux will start instantly. You two were right. The entries seem to be there and I can select them but I cant see them. That is at least a relief. I'm not able to say why the menu isn't shown. I have no second monitor attached and it is directly connected to the nvidia card via HDMI. In case the entries are only shown if more than one entry is in /boot/loader/entries/ defined I added again a win.conf but nothing changed. I also plugged the HDMI cable in the port on the mainboard but that didn't help neither. If i press and hold the spacebar the black screen will stay forever.
Thanks do far. At least I have a hidden secret Windows entry big_smile

greetings

#14 2016-12-21 21:27:52

aplocher

Hello, I'm experiencing this exact issue.  daynite, did you figure it out?

I'm new to Arch (been a Linux user for many years though).  When I first loaded the arch packages and the bootloader to my SSD, I didn't create the entry for "Arch" so it ONLY had a Windows option and the Preboot Firmware Setup option (or whatever it calls it).

As soon as I added the Arch entry from /usr/share/systemd/boot/arch I was able to boot into Arch, however my boot screen is just blank.  Well, it actually just still shows the HP logo from the PC startup part, but I can tell that's no longer there.  It's just a lingering frame on the buffer or something, because the "PRESS ESCAPE TO ENTER SETUP" disappears.  It waits for about 3 seconds, which is what systemd-boot is configured to do.  Just no menu.  I haven't actually tried hitting the arrow keys like you've described, but I would be willing to bet that they would work fine.

Again, the menu DID work when it was ONLY Windows being shown.  Very weird!

Thanks!

#15 2016-12-24 21:01:26

aplocher

Just to provide a further update: the arrow keys do NOT seem to work in my case (as it was suggested above that perhaps the menu is there, but just not visible).  I do get the blank screen (with the HP logo) for the 3 seconds it's configured for but I don't see the actual menu.  However, if I enter the HP setup and then immediately exit out, I do see the menu (where I can use the arrow keys to select Windows or Arch).  Very bizarre

#16 2017-09-14 18:54:22

starthis

This seems to be an old thread, yet it put me on the right track to solve the 'invisible but there' systemd-boot screen.
For me this issue was solved by disabling the graphical splashscreen in bios.

(For my asus vivobook I had to disable 'fast boot' in bios to see the systemd-boot screen.)

#17 2017-09-14 19:06:28

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Thanks for sharing. I am going to go ahead and close this old thread now.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer