You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-28 18:37:03

GavinX

Installation Scenario: Linux on External HD, GRUB on Mac HD

I have what I think to be a unusual scenario. I'm installing Linux on my Macbook Pro 7,1. My current setup is that my internal HD contains ONLY MacOS, and the external HD is where I installed Linux. I placed the bootloader (GRUB) on the internal HD so that I would have the option of selecting either OS when I boot. The problem I'm having is that if I disconnect the external HD, GRUB goes to a command prompt, and I have force the computer to power off, and reboot. In order to get into OS/X, I then have to press the option key so that the Mac bootloader comes up. Also, when the external HD is connected, GRUB would show up normally, although sometimes the external HD is only recognized after an additional reboot.  Another thing to note is that if I restore the OS/X bootloader as the default and connect the external HD, when I boot and press the option key the external HD does not show as one of the boot devices. Is there a way I can have GRUB installed so that even if the external HD is disconnected, I can still use it to boot into OS/X? I would be really grateful for any help.

#2 2016-06-28 22:17:34

GavinX

Re: Installation Scenario: Linux on External HD, GRUB on Mac HD

I'm thinking that this probably can't be done? hmm Yes? No? Maybe?

Last edited by GavinX (2016-06-28 22:18:01)

#3 2016-06-28 23:42:23

\hbar

This is not really an answer to your question, but, back when I had a mac, I had a much easier time using 'refind' than grub to boot osx. It would certainly work even if the external drive is unplugged.

#4 2016-06-29 07:58:09

GavinX

\hbar wrote:

This is not really an answer to your question, but, back when I had a mac, I had a much easier time using 'refind' than grub to boot osx. It would certainly work even if the external drive is unplugged.

Thanks for that. I was really trying to avoid refind, but I guess I simply have to use it.

Board footer