You are not logged in.

#1 2002-12-25 16:14:47

zen_guerrilla

Problem with locales

Hello & Merry xmas to all,
I have a problem with locales. I've put :

export LC_CTYPE=el_GR

on /etc/profile for proper greek support on kde & gtk apps, but it doesn't seem to work. If I run for example perl I get the following in return:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LC_CTYPE = "el_GR",
        LANG = (unset)
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").

The same problem occurs with all apps. Are locales included on arch linux (since there's no /usr/locale dir) ? If not could u pls create glibc-locale pkg ?

P.S. : I'm getting familiar w/ arch and I'll post lots of packages these days.

Thanx in advance,
.:: zen ::.

#2 2002-12-26 17:28:14

Rouslan

Re: Problem with locales

You have to set next variables: LANG, LANGUAGE,LOCALE,XLOCALE. Usually this is enough, but I don't know about LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE, isn't that for compiling? In my system, I've got all of these variables set to ru_RU.KOI8-R, where, "ru" is the language, "RU" is the country, and "KOI8-R" is encoding to use.
Locales are not supported in archlinux's glibc, so you'll have to recompile it using abs and makepkg(read documentation) with

#  make install_root=$startdir/pkg localedata/install-locales

uncommented in /usr/abs/base/glibc/PKGBUILD . If you see that some application does not support locale, try to recompile it using "--with-included-gettext" option on  ./configure, but that does not work always, because some applications are not translated in all languages yet. That should be it. Have fun.

Rouslan

#3 2002-12-26 23:57:31

zen_guerrilla

Rouslan wrote:

You have to set next variables: LANG, LANGUAGE,LOCALE,XLOCALE. Usually this is enough, but I don't know about LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE, isn't that for compiling?

LC_ALL is for setting all options to a specific locale. I don't know what exactly LC_CTYPE is, but it's required for proper greek 'accents' on X apps.

Rouslan wrote:

Locales are not supported in archlinux's glibc, so you'll have to recompile it using abs and makepkg(read documentation) with

#  make install_root=$startdir/pkg localedata/install-locales

uncommented in /usr/abs/base/glibc/PKGBUILD . If you see that some application does not support locale, try to recompile it using "--with-included-gettext" option on  ./configure, but that does not work always, because some applications are not translated in all languages yet. That should be it. Have fun.

Thanx for that tip though, I' ll try it tomorrow, my pc is too busy encoding to divx now smile
I think that there should be a glibc-locale pkg on AL - as it is on slack - so that we won' t have to recompile glibc...

#4 2002-12-28 06:30:26

scottro
Website

Rouslan--you've gotten Russian to work?  My big complaint has been not being able to get Japanese working.  Does Russian use double-byte characters?

I have to try this tomorrow, it's 2:30 AM now.

Scott

#5 2002-12-28 07:03:40

Rouslan

Rouslan--you've gotten Russian to work? My big complaint has been not being able to get Japanese working. Does Russian use double-byte characters?

mmm, If you're talking about extra 125 characters in character table, then yes, russian uses that, just as any non-latin language. I think there should be no problem in getting japanese to work as long as you have glibc recompiled and language variables set. Good Luck.

Rouslan

#6 2002-12-28 07:09:17

scottro
Website

Actually I'm still up---this got me excited and I had to try it before bed. I'm not overly hopeful, since putting glibc-i18n in Slackware didn't solve the problem there either.

You're in NY too, aren't you?  What are you doing up? (or is that Nevada--my eyes are blurry this late)

Waiting for glibc to finish compiling,

Scott

#7 2002-12-28 07:58:35

scottro
Website

UPDATE.

Wow, do I feel stupid--here I was nagging sarah31 et al about Internationlization and the simple removing of a # sign fixed it.

Heh--and I was just beginning to like Crux a bit more, too. Sigh, it's 4:00 am and I'm thinking about the things I have to do--I have to update my page on Japanese in Linux and post to a couple of mailing lists that have an interest in it.  I also am going to change that Crux install to Arch.  That's not a putdown of Crux, which has its good points, but Arch's package handling is such a pleasure.  Not to mention a more interesting irc channel.  Oh well, tomorrow's another day.

I am very very happy though--I was telling folks about Arch and how if it had Japanese support it'd be my favorite distro.  Now, I'm wondering--how do I get it on a laptop with no floppy and no CDROM?  (It's one that I was loaned from work, for some Unix classes I'm taking--the CD is at work---don't mind me, I'm babbling--Rouslan, you made me a very happy, albeit embarrassed man.  My excuse is that in Slackware, though I installed glibc-i18n packages, it didn't work, so I assumed it was going to be more complex than that. 

Scott

#8 2002-12-28 12:30:02

Rouslan

no problems scottro, I'm glad you got japanese to work.

Rouslan

#9 2002-12-28 15:01:55

zen_guerrilla

scottro wrote:

I'm not overly hopeful, since putting glibc-i18n in Slackware didn't solve the problem there either.

Hello scottro,
I don't know about jp but greek support worked great for me with glibc-i18n on slack-8.1 & slack-9.0current (glibc-2.3.1) on 12 desktops & 1 laptop.

#10 2002-12-28 16:57:35

scottro
Website

I did some searching and it's supposed to be fairly non-trivial in Slackware.  It's one of those things I will try again at some point--today, thanks to Rouslan, I'm busy with Arch.  :0

Actually, Arch pretty much fills the need I had with Slack, rock-solid (althugh I haven't stress tested it) no strange patterns so things don't build, etc. 

Sigh, the annoying part is having to redo my page on Japanese now, as (Scott looks modest) it's probably the 2nd or 3rd best known page on the subject in English.

I might free up some space and try Slack next week if my wife gives me a chance. I haven't been in Arch for a couple of weeks and forgot what a pleasure it is.

#11 2002-12-31 06:14:48

apeiro
Daddy
Website

So, the consensus seems to be that locales in Arch's glibc is a good thing.  Does anyone disagree?  If not, then I'll rebuild the Arch glibc package with locales included.

#12 2002-12-31 06:16:51

sarah31
Website

sounds good and also add the patch the jk has info on for correcting some of those ctype_foo errors when compiling some source.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#13 2002-12-31 06:37:06

scottro
Website

Sounds good--just let me know if it does become standard, as I'll then have to change the page again. (Don't want people to go through a compile if it's unnecessary)  If you think it's pretty definite, then I'll simply comment that as of very late Dec. 2002 it was going to be changed, so do the other stuff, and see if Japanese input works, otherwise, recompile gggc--err, gcc
(Spastic fingers this late at night).

Also what about that missing library mentioned in this thread?  I don't know much about programming and so I don't know if it's a lot of work or not--just that Phoenix seems to be getting more and more popular, so if it's not a lot of work, worth doing?

I reiterate, I have no idea if I'm saying do 5 minutes work, or do 5 days of work, so please take it as a comment from the ignorant.  smile

#14 2003-01-21 00:42:50

apeiro
Daddy
Website

The new glibc package now includes locales.

#15 2003-01-21 01:36:03

scottro
Website

Thanks. I've updated the Arch Linux section of my Japanese page.

Scott

Board footer