You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-07 03:39:02

timm

mythtv-setup can't connect to database

I'm working on a mythtv-setup, using most current arch packages.  I've got my Hauppauge 350 card recognized, mysql installed and working, and mythtv installed.

When I go to run the mythtv-setup, I've been having to run it in a console under kde, because if I run it from the command line it says it can't connect to the X server.  This doesn't seem to be what should happen from the documents I'm reading, but I don't know if it is wrong, what is wrong.

When I run mythtv-setup from the kde console window, it reports that it can't connect to the database.  It gives a series of errors, beginning with something about QMYSQL3: Unable to connect.  A posting I found on the web seemed to say this means the qt plugin isn't connecting and has to be built with qmake, however this is something I don't understand at all.  If I need to learn it, I will, but was wondering if there is another explanation for these error messages.

Much of the info in the forums seems dated, so I'm not sure what to rely on here.

#2 2006-05-07 07:27:50

EmbraceThePenguin

Re: mythtv-setup can't connect to database

timm wrote:

I'm working on a mythtv-setup, using most current arch packages.  I've got my Hauppauge 350 card recognized, mysql installed and working, and mythtv installed.

When I go to run the mythtv-setup, I've been having to run it in a console under kde, because if I run it from the command line it says it can't connect to the X server.  This doesn't seem to be what should happen from the documents I'm reading, but I don't know if it is wrong, what is wrong.

When I run mythtv-setup from the kde console window, it reports that it can't connect to the database.  It gives a series of errors, beginning with something about QMYSQL3: Unable to connect.  A posting I found on the web seemed to say this means the qt plugin isn't connecting and has to be built with qmake, however this is something I don't understand at all.  If I need to learn it, I will, but was wondering if there is another explanation for these error messages.

Much of the info in the forums seems dated, so I'm not sure what to rely on here.

To allow root to run X apps under your current user login, go to another term using your currently loged in user and issue this command:

xhost +

Then try to re run myth setup.

For your mysql issue, try editing the my.cnf file and comment out (place a # infront of) this line:

skip-networking

and restart mysql.

Also, make sure that you start the backend before you start the myth setup app. Not sure if this step is in the Wiki, but I had to do this first.

Hope this helps...

Joe

#3 2006-05-07 16:29:50

timm

That didn't change things, but I've tinkered with so much I decided to start anew and see if it worked that way.  Taking this step-by-step, I now notice that my firmware for the 350 isn't loading.

I've got the xf86-video-v4l package installed, and the firmware shows up in /lib/firmware, but for some reason dmesg says it isn't being loaded.  It asks about whether it is in the hotplug directory.  With current Arch, I don't think such a thing exists anymore.

Any ideas?

#4 2006-05-07 18:08:00

EmbraceThePenguin

timm wrote:

That didn't change things, but I've tinkered with so much I decided to start anew and see if it worked that way.  Taking this step-by-step, I now notice that my firmware for the 350 isn't loading.

I've got the xf86-video-v4l package installed, and the firmware shows up in /lib/firmware, but for some reason dmesg says it isn't being loaded.  It asks about whether it is in the hotplug directory.  With current Arch, I don't think such a thing exists anymore.

Any ideas?

You have to put it in /lib/firmware (That is where the driver looks for the firmware files by default).

Are you following the guild on the ivtv wiki site ( http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto )? Dont use the Arch package; it doesn't work right, and if you are not using the stock kernel, you will have problems.

Also, after you install the ivtv driver, make sure you add /usr/local/bin to your /etc/profile (Or change the install path).

Hope this helps...

Joe

#5 2006-05-07 19:02:54

timm

It's in /lib/firmware, but I have been using the arch package.  I'll try the other and let you know.

#6 2006-05-07 21:10:16

timm

Ok, I've given up on this for now.  I'm finding too many ambiguities in the documentation, etc, and my head is spinning.  Time to leave it lay for a week or so and let my head clear.

This time I didn't install xf86-video-v4l, not sure if that was the mistake, but going with the ivtvdriver.org sources and compiling, couldn't get a /dev/video0 device at all.  The ivtvdriver documentation talks about deleting the duplicate tveeprom etc files, but my system has no such duplicates, so not sure what that's about.

I'm going outside to enjoy what's left of the beautiful day!  big_smile

#7 2006-05-07 21:54:29

sash

timm wrote:

That is the expected behaviour of the mythtv-setup program. It has  a GUI interface, where you select or fill in options.

It looks like you were almost done before you decided to start anew. Bummer.

#8 2006-05-08 17:29:39

jakep_82

First, it would be helpful if you posted the specific errors you received when running mythtv-setup.  It sounds like you didn't create the initial database or it didn't get created correctly.

Second, you don't need to run mythtv-setup as root.  I've always run it as my regular user.

Third, you don't need the backend running when you run mythtv-setup.  Certain things won't work if the backend is running and you have restart it after you're finished anyways.  You do, however, need mysql running.

Regarding your PVR-350, I'm not sure I can help.  Just for reference I have a couple PVR-150's and I've never installed the xf86-video-v4l package (is that necessary for TV out?).  I installed the Arch ivtv package and they just work.

#9 2006-05-15 23:58:05

timm

From the MythTV site:

"Building a MythTV system on older / "spare" hardware may be an exercise in frustration and can waste many hours of valuable time."

Amen.  I chucked the old box I was trying to set this up on, got a slightly newer obsolete box out of my computer corner, and set it up without a hitch using the ivtv instructions and the basic MythTV stuff.  Now if only I could get my MediaMVP H2 to boot from linux.......

Board footer