You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-02 07:32:00

thorjelly

KDE and xmonad

These two work together surprisingly well, when you have a good configuration. But I have two problems I need a little help with before I'll be entirely satisfied. I was wondering if anyone could help.

First, when you use the multimedia keys in KDE there's a little popup that appears which shows the sound icon and the current volume, which fades away after a moment. Likewise when you adjust brightness. In xmonad, these are not properly treated as floating windows, so it tiles them. This is pretty annoying. I know how to give rules so that it will float windows of certain class, and that's all well and good, but I can't GET the class of these popups. When I try to use xprop, it always fetches the information for the window beneath them. Does anyone know how I can get the class of these...?

Second, the KDE panel's spacers, which are meant to make sure the panel extends all the way from left to the right side of the screen, don't really work in xmonad. The panel only takes as much space as all the stuff inside of it. It seems impossible to make it extend all the way across the bottom of the screen. Oh, it works at first, seemingly, but as soon as you do anything that'll make it recalculate its size, it seems to suddenly restrict itself.

There's a few other minor weird things like panels don't seem to resize correctly on the fly and autohide doesn't work on panels but those aren't really big deals for me and probably won't ever really get fixed..

Anyway, thanks for the help.

#2 2016-07-02 08:03:17

thorjelly

Re: KDE and xmonad

Oh, I'm also having this bizarre problem trying to get KDE to run xmonad as its starting window manager. I created an xmonad.desktop file for xmonad in /usr/share/ksmserver/windowmanagers, so that xmonad shows up in Config > Applications > Window Manager, and I can select it as KDE's window manager. I hit apply and it works fine. xmonad starts. I can use it, and each application. But I cannot close the system settings application and after about 10 seconds it will say it has reverted back to Kwin for no reason. And it doesn't actually revert it back to kwin, but it doesn't save the config for using xmonad either. It's like it's refusing to let me use xmonad even though it's working fine.

Board footer