You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-14 17:24:12

motyR

pakman - a native kde frontend for pacman

Hi smile
I've been working lately on a kde GUI frontend for pacman,
pakman was written in c++ and use libalpm to accomplished the tasks it needs to, among the features pakman introducing is gui dialog to edit pakman.conf file, that means that repositories can be added, removed, enabled, disabled on the fly.
the app had been tested only on FW at the moment, but should work on other pacman based distro's.

any way i hope i'd be uploading the sources by the next week, in the meantime here are some snapshots of pakman:
http://www.cheetux.org.il/~motyr/snapshot1.png
http://www.cheetux.org.il/~motyr/snapshot2.png
http://www.cheetux.org.il/~motyr/snapshot3.png
http://www.cheetux.org.il/~motyr/snapshot4.png
http://www.cheetux.org.il/~motyr/snapshot5.png
http://www.cheetux.org.il/~motyr/snapshot6.png

hope u like it.

#2 2006-05-14 18:19:40

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: pakman - a native kde frontend for pacman

That looks slick.  Eagerly awaiting libalpm and pacman 3. smile

#3 2006-05-14 22:52:04

Sigi

wow, looks nice.

I'll give it a try when its "out".
Is it possible to list files of not yet installed packages?

Cheers Sigi

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#4 2006-05-14 23:26:53

IceRAM
Website

Looks indeed nice. Great work.

One sugestion though: try to move the search bar (+clear button + "search in" (?-I think) dropdown) above the package list and make it available all the time, just like in KMail or any other KDE application doing filtering.

#5 2006-05-15 06:25:33

dojo

Looks nice. What icon-set, theme and window-decoration are you using?

Thanks in advance.

Greets

dojo

#6 2006-05-16 09:41:46

motyR

10x alot guy's smile

IceRAM: amm i dont think i'll do that, i've tried doing it before but it took to much needed space, and yes the combo is for "search in".

dojo:
windec: http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=33785
style: http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=5065
icons: http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=26449

#7 2006-05-16 09:59:02

arooaroo
Website

I think this looks great and I'm glad there's a KDE frontend to compliment the GTK ones.

I'm surprised to see YASC (Yet Another Synaptic Clone). I think it leaves a lot to be desired.

#8 2006-05-16 13:18:25

Komodo

One word:

LEGEND!

Ul it as soon as it's done motyR, it'll be sweet to have a proper KDE frontend for good old pac wink

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#9 2006-05-16 15:35:54

IceRAM
Website

motyR wrote:

IceRAM: amm i dont think i'll do that, i've tried doing it before but it took to much needed space

Well, I must be too used with the kde-style-filtering. As I see the application, (without working with it), the left panel is to categorize/group packages (+ search), right-up list of packages, right-down details.

Given the current design, would it be possible to (let's say - since I didn't use the application yet) search in all installed packages.. and, in another case, search in all installable packages?

Typo: Installation Summery -> Installation Summary

#10 2006-05-16 17:20:17

motyR

Hi IceRAM
about the typos,  yes theres even more, but those will be removed by the time I'll upload 0.1.
as for the filter options, ATM it only filter through the all packages though i must say it's a very good idea and certainly useable, after I'll release 0.1 I'll work on it ( shouldn't be too much problem to implement )

#11 2006-05-16 19:18:06

IceRAM
Website

motyR wrote:

as for the filter options, ATM it only filter through the all packages though i must say it's a very good idea and certainly useable, after I'll release 0.1 I'll work on it ( shouldn't be too much problem to implement )

The first time I've suggested moving the search bar above the package list I thought about this kind of search. In KMail for example, you select a directory with mails on the left (like selecting a group with packages) and you filter the mails in the selected directory with the searchbar above the maillist.

#12 2006-05-16 19:38:10

Titus
Website

i can just say very nice keep going on.

In a world without walls,who need windows?

#13 2006-05-17 05:29:48

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Nicely done!
How about adding detail description and thumbnail? Currently I have 400 thumbnails and 1,100 details for Arch packages. They are part of my PkgInfo project but I am happy to share.
http://user-contributions.org/projects/ … kginfo.jpg

Markku

#14 2006-05-17 05:32:31

ScriptDevil

looks and sounds much better than guzata or something like that i got with underground linux
But i prefer the command in non gui

Be yourself, because you are all that you can be

#15 2006-05-17 08:57:57

motyR

Hi rasat
looks very interesting, but give me some more details, where do u get those details and pictures from, r u making it by yourself? and if so thats means that the picures and details DB wont be complete, and how would we share this pictures & details DB between users?

#16 2006-05-17 09:56:59

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

I got the details and thumbnails from freshmeat.net. I made a script comparing names of Arch package with names in freshmeat.net website.
Example gftp:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/gftp/

This means about 45% details were downloaded. Remaining 55% will be manually by browsing each home page. Thumbnails for each package is not possible. Many are back-end programs. It will be slow update but hopefully periodical.

In PkgInfo there is a push button to download new details and thumbnails. I can make a package, then anyone can use the details. If a detail is missing for a package, then detail field will say "No description". For thumbnail shows an empty frame.

Markku

#17 2006-05-17 11:42:34

IceRAM
Website

I would suggest using some abstract thumbnail for the apps without thumbnails. There could be different such thumbnails for each package group (pacman -Sg).

Edit: actually, it should be one per package category. Unfortunately, I do not know a way of detecting the package category.

#18 2006-05-17 12:26:23

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

IceRAM wrote:

Unfortunately, I do not know a way of detecting the package category.

Category names are the directories in /var/abs for current packages, and /var/abs/extra for extra.

Markku

#19 2006-05-17 13:23:53

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Kind of off-topic (the spirit of Dusty posessed me!), but wow, you're still using udev 0.68?  You compile a custom kernel, I assume?

#20 2006-05-17 13:31:20

IceRAM
Website

rasat wrote:
IceRAM wrote:

Unfortunately, I do not know a way of detecting the package category.

Category names are the directories in /var/abs for current packages, and /var/abs/extra for extra.

Hmm... I've looked in /var/lib (the pacman db) and I couldn't find them...

The more I think about this, the more it looks to me like Adept (an apt frontend), the package manager in Kubuntu. Maybe we could see some joined-forces to obtain the best frontend in the future? (I must admit: in the sea of debian packages, that frontend makes wonders - especially the search function)

While writing this post, I've remembered that KDE had some package manager frontend also - KPackage. The copywright notice says "1999-2001". Maybe this application should be removed/replaced in the future KDE versions.

[I like code reutilization - There must be something common for all the package managers (well, yeah, configuration windows could be totally different)]

#21 2006-05-17 17:22:24

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

IceRAM wrote:

Not /var/lib but /var/abs/. Requires package cvsup and then run "abs" to download all Arch PKGBUILDs. Its a bit troublesome to retrieve category names in this manner. But worthy because then a package manager can also list names of unistalled packages.

PkgInfo is inspired from Ubuntu's (Kbuntu) gnome-app-installer. Both using Glade interface.

Cerebral, I am using custom kernel for Win4Lin. Waiting for W4L patch update..... waiting since many months.

Markku

#22 2006-05-18 07:43:41

IceRAM
Website

rasat wrote:
IceRAM wrote:

Not /var/lib but /var/abs/. Requires package cvsup and then run "abs" to download all Arch PKGBUILDs.

Ah, forgot to mention that I knew this (been using Arch for more than 2 years)... I wanted to point out that, as you said, it is a bit troublesome for a package maintainer to get this information otherwise than from using the package db.

#23 2006-05-18 12:47:21

motyR

Hi
Ok that's about it for the first release, i've upload the sources and you could get them at: http://www.cheetux.org.il/~motyr/pakman … 0.1.tar.gz

few things about pakman, pakman use libalpm  to handle the packages management and libcurl to handle the packages download, so u need both of them installed.
as far as i can see i didn't see any alpm package for arch but maybe i'm not looking at the right places.

another note is that pakman use /var/lib/pacman as the database path and /var/cache/pacman/pkg as the packages cache, so in case this is not the right path's for arch please let me knows and i'll guide u which line in the code to change.

about configuring pakman.conf, the all operations are done through the gui, so u need to add few repositories in order to get pakman going.

installation:
- make -f ./Makefile.cvs
- ./configure
- make
- make install

cheers.

#24 2006-05-18 13:16:34

brain0
Developer

motyR wrote:

few things about pakman, pakman use libalpm  to handle the packages management and libcurl to handle the packages download, so u need both of them installed.
as far as i can see i didn't see any alpm package for arch but maybe i'm not looking at the right places.

pacman 3 is still in alpha (or beta?) stage, so hasn't been moved to Arch yet. I wonder why Frugal already uses it ...

#25 2006-05-18 13:32:03

Moo-Crumpus

.... maybe they make use of brain1 ... smile

I'd prefer a fast pacman -Syu anyway.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

Board footer