You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-08 00:19:11

BahbGTR

Default Graphics Card Overriden

I've got a bit of a strange situation.  I have a Sapphire R9 390 Nitro that I'd like to use for passthrough (see signature for hardware, I currently dual boot with Windows 10).  The problem is, when I set the integrated GPU to be the primary graphics device the R9 390 is some how still acting as the primary GPU (but the EFI utility still says on board is default).  The initial POST messages appear on the integrated card, but everything else appears on the 390 (Boot selection pop up, Refind, and primary console).  In fact, the intel GPU is useless as nothing is displayed on that device once the R9 390 takes over.  This exact setup worked just fine when I had a GTX 760 that had been modified to handle GOP booting.

The 390 can be set to EFI GOP or Legacy mode through a physical switch on the card.  If I put the card into legacy mode, things function normally and the Intel GPU shows what it should.  But I need to use EFI GOP for OVMF.  I don't want to mess around with ACS kernel patches, or install a kernel from AUR.

I have two monitors.  One monitor is hooked to each graphics card via displayport.  The other is attached to each card through HDMI. Unfortunately Asrock hasn't updated the firmware for my motherboard in over two years, but it is currently the most recent revision.   The R9 390 also has the latest firmware.  I can boot into Windows, but the same problem occurs.  However, I'm able to use both devices once I am in Windows.

Last edited by BahbGTR (2016-07-08 00:45:55)

Board footer