You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-29 06:33:00

ritchan

[Solved] Can't type "F" in Caja - mapped to Reload

For some reason I can't type F in Caja, because when I do it instantly reloads the directory. It's always been this way, but I've gotten pissed lately because I can't make filenames with an "F" in them.

What can I do about this?

Last edited by ritchan (2016-07-09 23:17:11)

#2 2016-07-01 23:10:06

madpierre

Re: [Solved] Can't type "F" in Caja - mapped to Reload

Not much info to work with.  What's the DE? A QWERTY keyboard? What's the locale? Upper case or lower case? Or both? If it's only in one case, check your hotkey settings. Check them in any event for that matter- won't hurt. What steps have you tried to correct this problem?

Last edited by madpierre (2016-07-01 23:18:36)

#3 2016-07-09 11:50:44

ritchan

I'm running MATE 1.12.1, using a standard US layout. Locale is en_US.UTF-8.

It only happens in lowercase, but when I check Keyboard Shortcuts in MATE, there is nothing mapped to 'f'. In fact, there isn't even a 'Reload Caja' Action in Keyboard Shortcuts, so I have no idea where this mapping is coming from.

I haven't taken any steps to correct this problem because I don't know where to start. Are hotkey settings different from MATE's Keyboard Shortcuts? I don't remember setting them up.

Last edited by ritchan (2016-07-09 11:52:52)

#4 2016-07-09 17:12:22

madpierre

"Ctrl+r" is the shortcut to reload Caja (see the "View" dropdown menu in Caja). Try it. Does it work?

Also: goto ~/.config/caja/accels  See if the shortcut is in this file. If so, you should be able to change it there (hopefully). After the file is opened, type "Ctrl+F" then enter "reload" in the search box (and press "Find" or hit "Enter") to make the job easier. If the mapping anomaly occurs there it will appear as "f" (should be "<Primary>r").

Last edited by madpierre (2016-07-09 17:38:10)

#5 2016-07-09 21:51:25

ritchan

Oh thanks a lot for the detailed help!

I solved it a different way though. You see, I had the dropdown menu open in Caja, and I pressed Printscr to take a screenshot. Then I found that the shortcut for reload had changed to Print instead!!!!

So all I had to do was press Ctrl+R while keeping that Reload item highlighted in the dropdown menu, and the shortcut was back to Ctrl+R.

Needless to say I am not impressed with this type of unnecessary flexibility...

#6 2016-07-09 23:12:45

madpierre

Well done.

I haven't used Mate for some time. A few years ago, I ran a comparison test- it took a couple of weeks but paid off. In the end I settled on Xfce. The DE isn't impressive at first glance. However, I found that if I spent the time with it, I could setup my DE in a manner that appeals to me and works for me. Thunar, the file manager, is quite easy to use and lends itself to easy customization. To be fair to Mate, you had a really odd problem; I like the manner in which you corrected it as well. The more you can work with the GUI and the less you need to hack is all the better IMHO.

Afterthought: If you are content with the outcome, please mark this thread as solved.

Last edited by madpierre (2016-07-09 23:40:11)

#7 2016-07-09 23:50:23

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

ritchan wrote:

Oh thanks a lot for the detailed help!

I solved it a different way though. You see, I had the dropdown menu open in Caja, and I pressed Printscr to take a screenshot. Then I found that the shortcut for reload had changed to Print instead!!!!

So all I had to do was press Ctrl+R while keeping that Reload item highlighted in the dropdown menu, and the shortcut was back to Ctrl+R.

Needless to say I am not impressed with this type of unnecessary flexibility...

You've probably enabled "can-change-accels". This could be in ~/.gtkrc-2.0, or in a dconf setting for mate-settings-daemon.

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

Board footer