You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-12 05:29:42

gshearer

Nvidia 1070 + Nvidia 650 + Xinerama = SIGSEGV

So, I got around to buying a new video card. Chose the MSI Nvidia GTX 1070.

Problem: My old card (GTX 770, which I gave to my Son for his rig) had two Dual-Link DVI out's. The 1070 only has one. I have two Auria 27" monitors that will only support 1440P using the Dual-Link DVI-D connector. (They have an HDMI connector, but 1080p is max)

Sortta Solution: I added an older nvidia card I had collecting dust (GTX 650). Unfortunately, I can only run in true Zaphod mode (X screens :0.0 and :0.1).  If I attempt to enable Xinerama, X will start, Xorg log looks fine, but attempt to run just about any X client results in SIGSEGV. So, annoyingly, I can't drag windows from one screen to another. (Using Awesome window manager, which normally supports two screens natively but doesn't appear to work in Zaphod mode)

This is not acceptable.

Another solution: I could purchase a $100 dollar or-so "active" DisplayPort or HDMI to Dual-Link DVI converter, which would enable me to use another port on the 1070 for the second monitor. Unfortunately, I've seen many reviews that say these things are glitchy.

Another solution: Purchase another 1070. I believe part of the SIGSEGV problem may be because of very different GPUs. I'm wondering of nvidia's "base mosaic" in SLI mode may work with TwinView. But, this is a $450+ dollar gamble, not to mention I don't really need an SLI setup.

More data: Everything works perfectly in Windows 10 with the 1070+650 combo. NO problems whatsoever. But.... this is also not an acceptable solution... except for gaming. Also I should note that the best I could find with my Google-Fu is some old forum posts from 2013-ish about people complaining about this issue. Apparently, it was never fixed by nvidia. My Xconfig is very simple, defines both video cards as "devices" -- works perfectly in Zaphod mode.

Question: Anyone using an "active" HDMI or Display-Port to Dual-Link DVI converter? Good or bad experiences?

Any advice / feedback is much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

--
George Shearer
doc at lame dot org
Linux Nerd since the MCC Interim Days

#2 2016-07-12 07:27:43

Awebb

Re: Nvidia 1070 + Nvidia 650 + Xinerama = SIGSEGV

Try a simple HDMI to DVI cable, HDMI from the computer, DVI to the screen.

For the rest of the driver problems: Wait until the drivers actually work. They eventually will. This card is just a few weeks old.

#3 2016-07-12 15:32:18

gshearer

Simple cable doesn't work.

Dual-link DVI is required to drive 1440P.

"Dual-Link" means that two signals (even and odd pixels) are sent down the same cable at the same time, then merged back into one signal by the monitor.

HDMI and Display-Port send a single signal stream down the cable, although at a faster rate so they can support higher resolutions.   So in order to convert HDMI or DP to Dual-Link DVI for 1440p -- an "active" converter is required that will split the single stream into two and send down each side of the DVI Dual-link.

A regular cable (which I have plenty of) though may have the pins for dual-link, one side of "dual link" is actually doing nothing.

--
George Shearer
doc at lame dot org
Linux Nerd since the MCC Interim Days

#4 2016-12-09 09:27:30

Hydeh

@gshearer Did you get your GPU eventually working?

#5 2016-12-09 20:10:41

Awebb

I'm wondering that, too. Did the drivers unfuck itself?

Board footer