You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-11 21:41:44

ashman

PKGBUILD review request: lib3ds

I am about to push my first PKGBUILD into the AUR and thus would like to ask someone of this community to review it. This PKGBUILD (see below) is for the library lib3ds which implements handling for 3D-Studio .3DS files. Furthermore lib3ds is a dependency of the K-3D application which I would like to create a PKGBUILD for.

# Maintainer: Thomas Ascher <thomas.ascher@gmx.at>
# Contributor: Thomas Ascher <thomas.ascher@gmx.at>
pkgname=lib3ds
pkgrel=1
pkgver=1.3.0
pkgdesc="A software library for managing 3D-Studio Release 3 and 4 .3DS files and a free alternative to Autodesk's 3DS File Toolkit."
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url="https://code.google.com/archive/p/lib3ds/"
license=('LGPL')
depends=('glibc')
source=("https://storage.googleapis.com/google-code-archive-downloads/v2/code.google.com/lib3ds/lib3ds-${pkgver}.zip")
md5sums=('2572f7b0f29b591d494c1a0658b35c86')

build() {
  cd "$pkgname-$pkgver"
  ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared
  make
}

package() {
  cd "$pkgname-$pkgver"
  make DESTDIR="$pkgdir/" install
}

#2 2016-07-12 00:30:55

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: PKGBUILD review request: lib3ds

Everything seems good (clean, proper quoting, etc.).  The only thing that stands out is that you explicitly use "lib3ds" in several places instead of "$pkgname", but that is cosmetic. I only mention it because it is unconventional. I have no personal preference.

The only recommendation that comes to mind is to use a stronger checksum (e.g. sha256), but that is also trivial.

Nice first post. Welcome to the forum smile

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#3 2016-07-12 01:32:52

maxthest

I must say that I am SHOCKED that a 3D modeling program such as K-3D is using a library that has not been developed since late 2011 with an upstream pointing to the now archived Google Code repository!

Reactions aside, I do not believe that you are required to include glibc as a dependency as base-devel already pulls it but it does not hurt to be a little thorough. I ran your PKGBUILD and it compiles fine. However, namcap is complaining about a shell script (lib3ds-config.sh) being installed in the bin directory, so you may be required to add ‘sh’ in your dependencies.
An ebuild of lib3ds exists in Gentoo’s package repositories that lists freeglut and OpenGL as dependencies but that seems only relevant for the example code, not the library itself.

Other than that, it is short, simple, and gets the job done. smile

Last edited by maxthest (2016-07-12 01:33:45)

http://betanews.com/2016/04/27/windows- … broadcast/   ... no wonder why people are starting to think Windows 10 is a virus.

Friends don't let friends (be forced to) install Windows 10.

#4 2016-07-12 17:32:23

ashman

Thanks for all the feedback! I have implemented all suggestions and pushed the PKGBUILD into the AUR. The Arch wiki and this forum make this process a real breeze.

maxthest wrote:

I must say that I am SHOCKED that a 3D modeling program such as K-3D is using a library that has not been developed since late 2011 with an upstream pointing to the now archived Google Code repository!

Despite the lack of maintenance the library still seems to be relevant since some Google Code exports of it are scattered over Github. I should probably contact the original author about it's status.

Last edited by ashman (2016-07-12 17:32:42)

Board footer