You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-11 06:28:18

machinegod420

Microphone issue with headphones

Hi,
I have a pair of earbuds with an inline microphone. The microphone on the earbuds don't seem to work. If I have the earbuds plugged in, I can no longer use my internal microphone on my laptop. If I take the earbuds out, the microphone works fine again. How do I force linux to use the built in mic? I can confirm this through switching input devices on pavucontrol.

Last edited by machinegod420 (2016-07-11 06:28:43)

#2 2016-07-11 11:50:59

JohnBobSmith

Re: Microphone issue with headphones

First, you do some basic research. Then you consult the pulseaudio wiki. Finally, if you so desire, you're very welcome post back here with any issues you still have smile

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#3 2016-07-12 05:36:43

machinegod420

I have. The problem is that the internal microphone stops getting input when the earbuds are plugged in. As I mentioned previously.

#4 2016-07-12 14:17:19

ewaller
Administrator

You say they don't seem to work.  Tell us more about what you did with pavucontrol.  Also, have you used alsamixer to ensure that the  microphone is unmuted and that the volume is up?  You will have to use the function keys is alsamixer to select the physical sound card instead of pulse.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2016-07-12 23:26:14

machinegod420

ewaller wrote:

You say they don't seem to work.  Tell us more about what you did with pavucontrol.  Also, have you used alsamixer to ensure that the  microphone is unmuted and that the volume is up?  You will have to use the function keys is alsamixer to select the physical sound card instead of pulse.

Yes I did use alsamixer to switch input devices And yes I followed the instructions on the alsamixer page. This only stops working with this specific pair of headphones. I can use my speaker system and it will work. With pavucontrol I can go to input devices and switch between input devices. The internal microphone suddenly receives no input when I have the earbuds plugged in (but works with my other external speakers), so I am wondering if I can force linux to override this microphone detection.

#6 2016-07-12 23:34:26

ewaller
Administrator

Perhaps.  You may want to look into hdajackretask   (part of alsa-tools)
I've never used it; it just so happens I just installed it and plan to use it this evening to get my woofer working.  Maybe I'll be able to help more later.

You will want to disable the 'pin' associated with switching to the external mic.  I think wink

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer