You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-16 18:59:37

Dregel

[SOLVED] - Failed -Syu resulted in my system not booting.

Hi!

I just performed a full system update that failed to install a good chunk of stuff because of my drive beeign full.
I cleared up a bunch of space and kept working on some stuff before i was going to ty again, but suddenly my computer froze, probably as a resultat of som packege failing to install, and now i can't boot.
I have booted up the latest install medium, mounted all my partitions and chrooted into my system, buy trying to do a new system upgrade only tells Me that i'm up to date and that there is nothing to do.
I'm thinking of doing something like this:

pacman -Qqen > pkglist.txt
pacman --force -S $(< pkglist.txt)

to try and resolve my problem, but i'm not sure if it is actually an intelligent thing to do. tongue
Anyone got any better tips before i conpletely ruin my system?

Last edited by Dregel (2016-07-16 19:51:42)

#2 2016-07-16 19:05:47

Dregel

Re: [SOLVED] - Failed -Syu resulted in my system not booting.

Correction: since i probably need to reinstall ALL my packages since important things failed to install, i guess i  should do this instead:

pacman -Qqn > pkglist.txt

Maby? tongue

Last edited by Dregel (2016-07-16 19:38:20)

#3 2016-07-16 19:30:07

Dregel

Also, this is the only info i get about why I fail to boot:

Warning: /lib/modules/4.6.4-1-ARCH/modules.devname not found - ignoring

#4 2016-07-16 19:44:38

Dregel

I backed some stuff up and just went for it, and now I'm back on my system again, so thread closed!

pacman -Qqn > pkglist.txt

Worked wonders and the system managed to mount my root and swap partitions and start booting after that, but it failed to mount my home and boot partitions, so i had to manually mount them in the emergency shell, but now everything seams to be A-OK! smile

#5 2016-07-16 19:54:07

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Please use the edit link to mark this thread as solved. In the future, when your post is the last in the thread, please use the edit link to append information instead of making a new post each time.

For future reference, it is possible to get the list of updated packages from /var/log/pacman.log if you want to avoid re-installing everything.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#6 2016-07-16 20:38:03

Dregel

Duly noted.
Although I already did mark it as solved, I should have edited my old posts instead of posting new ones, and I assure you that I would have if I had been writing from my computer, but since it was not booting at the moment I was writing from my phone and got lazy, resorting to writing new posts... sorry about that.

Board footer