You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-15 11:24:10

Archcowboy

Systemd / Logind session broken?

Hi,
I am having problems with my standard desktop user. Several things don't work, I already posted the issue in the update-subforum. I think I might have narrowed down the issue some more and it does not seem to be update-related. Hence this new try to get help :-)

I have been using systemd since Arch changed to it from initscripts. Since recently without problems. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Users_and_Groups/ says, that no groups are needed for the standard desktop user. But I can not mount usb storage, have no sound and no control over networkmanager. I can however start VirtualBox, although my user is not in the "vboxusers" group, my user is in "users" and "wheel" only. The page also mentions, that if things don't work, I should check https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ge … ermissions, which I did. The output of
loginctl show-session $XDG_SESSION_ID

ControlGroupHierarchy=/user
ResetControllers=cpu
NAutoVTs=6
KillExcludeUsers=root
KillUserProcesses=no
IdleHint=yes
IdleSinceHint=0
IdleSinceHintMonotonic=0
DelayInhibited=sleep
InhibitDelayMaxUSec=5s
HandlePowerKey=poweroff
HandleSuspendKey=suspend
HandleHibernateKey=hibernate
HandleLidSwitch=suspend
IdleAction=ignore
IdleActionUSec=30min
PreparingForShutdown=no
PreparingForSleep=no

There should be

Remote=no

and

Active=yes

, but there is not. If not, I should make sure that X runs on the same tty where the login occurred.

/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc

is supposed to be my friend:

#!/bin/sh
if [ -z "$XDG_VTNR" ]; then
  exec /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp "$@"
else
  exec /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp "$@" vt$XDG_VTNR
fi

I think my X session is on the same tty session as the login, since I log into KDE (not into ttyX and then start X).
What to I do now? Is there anything wrong? Can you lead me into the right direction?

#2 2013-08-15 13:19:49

Lone_Wolf

Re: Systemd / Logind session broken?

Archcowboy wrote:

I think my X session is on the same tty session as the login, since I log into KDE (not into ttyX and then start X).

The problem might be in the display manager you use to login, which one are you using ?  (KDM, GDM, Slim, XDM, LXDM etc)

Either way, i suggest you temporarily boot to multi-user.target by adding systemd.unit=multi-user.target to your boot kernel parameters.

This will bring you to console without starting the DM or X /

login to console as user, edit ~/.xinitrc to start kde and run startx .

Once in X, run the loginctl show-session $XDG_SESSION_ID command again (post the output) and compare with the one you posted above.

if $XDG_SESSION_ID is correct this way (and sound etc work) , the problem is very likely in the configuration of your DM.

Edit :
corrected typo's

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2013-08-15 13:20:51)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2013-08-15 16:20:36

Archcowboy

Hey Lone_Wolf,

thanks for the help and pointing me to this whole login-thing. I finally found the reason for the whole mess. I am using the fingerprint-reader of my notebook with fprint. To log into kde with it, I changed /etc/pam.d/kde as described here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fprint. Changing the file back to its default state (and having to type in my password) solves all of the problems.

So the original problem is solved. But how do I get it to work properly with the fingerprint sensor?

#4 2016-07-17 17:41:48

ender4

I'm having the same problem. If I login in using a termonal TTY I get the right values, but if I log in using KDE i get what ArchCowboy describes. I am not using a fingerprint-reader. I also notice that in kde $XDG_SESSION_ID is not defined.

> If it does not, make sure that X runs on the same tty where the login occurred.

I'm not sure if X is running on the same tty as the login, and don't know how to figure out if that is the case.

#5 2016-07-17 19:02:03

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer