You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-17 23:01:20

ferN

xautolock doesnt start on boot

I've installed i3lock, xautolock. I've tried adding "/usr/bin/xautolock -time 1 -lock /usr/bin/i3lock &" to .xinitrc (I start session with startx), I've tried to adding the same command without "&" into cerbere's monitored list (I use pantheon DE), I've tried adding .desktop file to ~/.config/autostart. None worked. What I am trying to do is run xautolock so my screen is locked with i3lock. If I write the command manually in terminal it works, but it doesnt work automatically once I start up my x server.

#2 2016-07-17 23:25:24

frostschutz

Re: xautolock doesnt start on boot

In my case (I'm using fluxbox) it's in ~/.fluxbox/startup - i.e. a file provided by my window manager to have stuff start after the window manager is ready.

xautolock -time 5 -locker 'alock -auth passwd -bg blank' \
          -notify 10 -notifier 'killall xeyes; xeyes' \
          -corners +0-0 -cornerdelay 10 -cornerredelay 10 \
          -secure &

Apart from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … plications I also have no other ideas. Sometimes it's missing environment variables that cause programs to fail in unexpected ways, but that's usually for cron, not X startup scripts. Even so you could execute a shell script that writes environment and stuff to a /tmp/debuginfo file, this could verify two things

a) the script is executed at all
b) why it might fail (also make the script start the xautolock, redirect its output (including stderr) and its return value $?

Maybe that will give some idea where things are going wrong.

Board footer