You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-19 01:17:16

MountainX

Twinkle SIP client (VoIP) - no in-call audio

I installed this package:
AUR (en) - twinkle-qt5
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/twinkle-qt5/#news

I am not able to get in-call audio working (in either direction). I installed another SIP client (Jitsi) and it works correctly with the same SIP provider (callcentric). Furthermore, I have an older version of Twinkle working. Given that the settings dialogs have not changed and my settings are exactly the same as the working (older) version, I am at a loss as to what to try next... I'd like to figure it out as I prefer to use Twinkle for my VoIP calls.

Any troubleshooting suggestions?

#2 2016-07-19 01:33:00

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Twinkle SIP client (VoIP) - no in-call audio

Moving to AUR Issues....

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2016-07-19 11:23:14

jsoy9pQbYVNu5nfU

MountainX wrote:

I installed this package:
AUR (en) - twinkle-qt5
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/twinkle-qt5/#news

I am not able to get in-call audio working (in either direction). I installed another SIP client (Jitsi) and it works correctly with the same SIP provider (callcentric). Furthermore, I have an older version of Twinkle working. Given that the settings dialogs have not changed and my settings are exactly the same as the working (older) version, I am at a loss as to what to try next... I'd like to figure it out as I prefer to use Twinkle for my VoIP calls.

Any troubleshooting suggestions?

Use Wireshark with the filter sip||rtp||rtps to dump a working SIP call to a pcap first, then dump the non-working call. Compare what's different or wrong in the failing case's SIP conversation if you can. Pay attention to authentication, registration, and the codec used for the RTP stream ( Wireshark has powerful analysis tools for VoIP in its Telephony submenu. Before starting, be sure to tick all RTP family protocols under Analyze>Enabled protocols (use the search bar).

I can a think of a couple of things: client-side codec preference changed and is not supported by the trunk -- RTP port ranged changed and are blocked by your firewall -- check if you have the latest versions of the deps listed in that program's readme.

If you decide to post some of the SIP packets here, know that they contain at least your username and IP address as identifying informatio; be sure to censor that.

Last edited by jsoy9pQbYVNu5nfU (2016-07-19 11:23:27)

#4 2016-07-19 18:27:48

MountainX

2ion, thanks for the detailed suggestions.

I can a think of a couple of things: client-side codec preference changed and is not supported by the trunk

No change.  I confirmed this with callcentric and I also confirmed it by testing other SIP clients.

RTP port ranged changed and are blocked by your firewall

No change here either and the ports are not blocked by my firewall. My firewall runs on a router. If the issue was firewall-related, my other tests would show problems.

The key tests that I have done include:

installed another SIP client (Jitsi) and configured it for the same ViOP provider (callcentric.com). It works.
tested an older version of Twinkle using the same configuration and it works.
This version of Twinkle (AUR (en) - twinkle-qt5) fails at registration. (SIP registration uses UDP port 5060.)

I have been wanting to learn how to use Wireshark. I'll start by installing it.

Board footer