You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-22 09:18:45

m00nman

KDE or LXDE touchpad settings reset on reboot

Hello everyone,

after an update severtal months ago I've notcied that I can no longer tap to click on the touchpad on my main laptop. Went into the System settings in KDE, under touchpad it now says that the saved settings are different from current settings. If hit "apply" without changing anything it works fine again, until next reboot. This laptop has alps touchpad.

I've tried my very old EEE PC 701 running lxde and the same things happens there, I did not dig any deeper with this one, all I know it worked before and some update broke it. This laptop uses synaptics touchpad.

Has anyone had this problem? Both Arch installations are old, probably 2-3 years now but on my main lapton I update every day.

Cheers

#2 2016-12-11 05:02:38

trefall

Re: KDE or LXDE touchpad settings reset on reboot

MM,
YES! It's all on my new laptop. I finally found a way to fix the 'no tap' touchpad problem in 'xinput set-prop 12 260 1'. It worked! I was thrilled. Then I rebooted and it went back to not working. I'm using LXDE as well. I'm almost tempted to try another DE. I just want to stay light weight.
I hope you find a fix and post it here. big_smile
*******MM********************** I found it!
https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php? … sue-Solved

It works on Manjaro. I'm gonna try it on other Arch distros. Remember to put 'Solved' if it works for you so it's easier for others to find.

Last edited by trefall (2016-12-12 18:43:22)

#3 2016-12-13 10:49:15

m00nman

Re: KDE or LXDE touchpad settings reset on reboot

I wouldn't call it a solution, but this worked for me:

Added this to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "touchpad catchall"
        Driver "synaptics"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
          Option "TapButton1" "1"
          Option "VertEdgeScroll" "on"
          Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "off"
          Option "CoastingSpeed" "0"
          Option "MaxTapTime" "125"
# This option is recommend on all Linux systems using evdev, but cannot be
# enabled by default. See the following link for details:
# http://who-t.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-to-ignore-configuration-errors.html
#       MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
EndSection

Most available options and examples are here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics

The KDE or LXDE preferences still don't work properly, so I don't believe the actual problem is solved. These are just workarounds.

Your linked solution is not really a solution. It effectively makes your touchpad to be recognised as regular mouse. While tap-to-click works, none of other features, like edge-scrolling or two-finger-scrolling, will work.  If you don't care about scrolling then it might actually be better for you as I find tap-to-click and tap-to-drag work a lot better.

Last edited by m00nman (2016-12-14 10:42:14)

Board footer