You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-24 13:07:43

abhis3k
Website

Blank Screen with nvidia 367.35

Hello all,

Apologizing in advance if this has been discussed somewhere, I am posting this because I do not find anything in Google or Arch forum.
I am using Arch in my Acer 5738Z laptop for sometime and decided to move to Arch from Debian testing in my desktop as well.

I am using the current 367.35 nvidia proprietary driver with latest 4.6.4 kernel in Arch (defaults).
When I boot I am greeted with a black screen. I can switch vty with Ctrl+Alt+FX shortcuts.
The funniest thing is when I switch vty and return using Ctrl+Alt+F7, I am greeted with lightdm screen.

Same happens when I logout. It's a black screen. I again switch vty and I am back with lightdm page again.

I am using GL40 Intel chipset in my Acer Laptop and never faced this issue, so I do not have a clue but I suspect nvidia-driver may be causing this problem.

Any pointers to solving this is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#2 2016-07-24 13:22:31

Daerandin
Website

Re: Blank Screen with nvidia 367.35

There are multiple topics about this on the Arch forums regarding black screen with the current nvidia driver, so I don't know what you have searched for. Assuming that you are using nvidia metamodes, then you are affected by the same issue as everyone else.

It has also been reported on the Nvidia forums: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi … th-367-35/

#3 2016-07-24 13:32:34

abhis3k
Website

Daerandin wrote:

There are multiple topics about this on the Arch forums regarding black screen with the current nvidia driver, so I don't know what you have searched for. Assuming that you are using nvidia metamodes, then you are affected by the same issue as everyone else.

It has also been reported on the Nvidia forums: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi … th-367-35/

Thanks. I just saw it on nvidia forums. Sorry I missed that.
Yes, I just set up the metamodes on login script and it works perfectly now.

#4 2016-07-24 18:51:03

daniel712

I had the same problem. My solution:
According to arch nvidia wiki "DRM kernel mode setting", i have the "nvidia, nvidia_modeset, nvidia_uvm and nvidia_drm" modules inserted in mkinitcpio.conf and the "nvidia-drm.modeset=1" kernel parameter in my boot config.
During the system update the mkinitcpio hook run before the nvidia driver update, so the old .27 module was still inserted. (check your journalctl -b)

I did run mkinitcpio -p linux again after the full system upgrade and everthing works fine.

wink

#5 2016-07-24 20:57:22

Daerandin
Website

daniel712, that is a different issue. The one mentioned here is directly related to the nvidia metamodes.

Board footer