You are not logged in.

#26 2016-06-20 08:15:08

ish-org

Re: Installing Arch Linux on a Teclast X98 pro Cherry Trail tablet

I'm using X98 plus.
I want to install 128gb sdcard but 4.6.2-1-ARCH or linux-byt-4.5 can not recognize this sdcard.
I have 3 sdcards, 2gb, 8gb and 128gb.  2gb and 8gb are recognized both 4.6.2-1.ARCH and linux-byt-4.5.
128gb is not recognized at X98 plus.  This 128gb sdcard is recognized with another machine (DELL studio 1558, this machine is normal PC with sdcard slot) on 4.6.2-1-ARCH.
And this 128gb sdcard is recognized on windows10 and android on X98 plus.

(128gb sdcard)
# grep mmc2 /var/log/kernel.log | sed 's/^.*kernel: //'
mmc2: SDHCI controller on ACPI [80860F14:01] using ADMA
mmc2: error -110 whilst initialising SD card

(8gb sdcard)
# grep mmc2 /var/log/kernel.log | sed 's/^.*kernel: //'
mmc2: SDHCI controller on ACPI [80860F14:01] using ADMA
mmc2: new high speed SDHC speed SDHC card at address b368
mmcblk2: mmc2:b368 SMI   7.50 GiB

How can I use this 128gb sdcard for arch linux on X98 plus ?

Last edited by ish-org (2016-06-20 09:13:08)

#27 2016-07-02 11:18:47

koroki

I'm interested in this post. I just have bougth the Teclastb X80 Pro. In my case, it has Z8300.

What audio chip do you have ?

#28 2016-07-24 20:16:12

scorp

Hi guys,

I got ArchLinux running on Chuwi HiBook. It's quite a nice device, also running on cherry trail (Intel Atom x5-Z8300). However, I have the same problems as most of such devices currently: no touchscreen, no wifi, no camera, no battery. Working with external USB-Hub I could at least get the OS with Gnome onto the system. In case someone is interested, the biggest problem was the Dual-Boot preinstallation of Android and Window on the tablet. I just removed all partitions and cleaned the EFI menu, but aufter each reboot the firmware somehow (magic?) recovered that graphical (!) boot menu, where one could choose between windows and android again, after which ArchLinux couldn't modeset the resolution anymore and has fallen into a black screen. When pressing F7 on reboot all the time to come to the boot menu, I could prevent the system from going into this hi-res dual-boot thing and was able to get into ArchLinux with modesetting and graphical desktop, but for this I needed keyboard connected to the tablet every time I rebooted. That was annoying and I tried to make all kind of things to get rid of this strange behaviour without any success. Desperately, I downloaded official windows only (!) image from Chewi Forum and unrolled it over the whole disk (overwriting ArchLinux again) and suddenly after that, the dual-boot menu vanished. Now I have ArchLinux booting normally without a problem.

Now, because of Wifi, I know, that it's RTL8723BS, which you need a custom patched kernel for. Currently, I can workaround the problem with external WiFi dongle, which works fine and will hope, that the official support will just land in the kernel soon. But touchscreen is something really needed, because touchpad without a touch is just a pad smile However, I have no clue how to get that working. I don't see anything in lspci and/or lsusb, I have no idea where to start and I really hope you guys have something, what could help me.

#29 2016-07-24 23:36:27

Keziolio

Hoping to please, I wrote everything i know about my tablet (Teclast X98 Plus II, similar specs and problems to yours) in a wiki page

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Te … 98_Plus_II

If the tablets are similar, maybe the page can be renamed to "Cherry Trail tablets", if someone can provide some feedback that'd be great, i'd really like to get linux working decently on those tablets.

#30 2016-07-25 19:28:56

scorp

Thank you very much for the reply! Unfortunately, I'm a bit short on time during the week, but I will go through your notes and give feedback here as soon as I can.

#31 2016-07-27 17:59:16

scorp

So, being playing around with the stuff without any success. Even worse, after some reboots this strange graphical boot menu with selection of Android/Windows came up again, this is really annoying. As far as I can see at least the firmware of Chuwi HiBook is total crap, things coming and going without changing anything in EFI, sometimes the device doesn't want to start at all. Can't explain all that magic. However, I created a DKMS package with the touchscreen driver found by @Keziolo and installed it into the system, but with absolutely no result. Dmesg stays silent, nothing happens when I modprobe the driver. Honestly, I'm not experienced with I2C bound devices, do you know if I have to put firmware first into the right place to get it working? My problem is, that I don't know which firmware I need, so I was hoping to load the module and to see in the dmesg for missing fw message, to know which one I need. Or does it work differently?

#32 2016-07-28 01:00:20

Keziolio

Hi  @scorp, I updated the wiki section of the touchscreen, now it should be more clear.

But, if you have silent dmesg, i fear that you have another touchscreen controller, you can try to see that from windows (there should be a driver info menu somewhere), or you can use a software to dump all the windows drivers and analyze them on your workstation (that's what I did), you may need to extract the firmware from the windows/android driver.

If you confirm that you have a silead touchscreen, read very carefully the readme of the driver and firmware repository. The procedure is not trivial.

#33 2016-08-01 19:38:38

scorp

Hi @Keziolio,

unfortunately, I'm stuck. If I modprobe the driver nothing happens, no output in dmesg, nothing. I did put some printk() into the driver with a hope, that I see something, but nope... What happens on your system, if you modprobe the driver? Do you have any output? I read, that i2c drivers are initialized with module_i2c_driver() macro, however this seems not to work here somehow, where I have to admit, that I have no idea, how exactly it works. The positive thing, that meanwhile I'm 90% sure, that this is the right driver for my touchscreen smile

#34 2016-08-01 22:00:50

scorp

Looks like I have problems with the i2c bus, since I see couple of  suspicious backtraces in dmesg on boot. I reported the bugs at kernel.org, we'll see how it goes.

Especially this one is interesting:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=150911

#35 2016-08-18 09:42:48

kraghot

Anyway, I tried Arch again and it seems that the OTG port dies after booting. The weird thing is the last time I tried it, it worked. It works perfectly in BIOS and with the bootloader but when it boots completely it is dead. I can't do anything really with it one it boots because I have no way to interact with the device. I also tried to boot Ubuntu and it seemed to work but had the same problem with the OTG port hmm.
Any ideas on how I would go about solving this?

#36 2016-08-20 16:02:17

kraghot

I tried to edit the arch iso to execute a script in order to print out a log of what is happening in hopes of debugging it, but I can't figure out how to execute a systemd service which outputs into tty1... I tried to pipe everything into /dev/tty1 but that didn't work sad

EDIT:
Managed to get ahead. Got this output... Not sure what to try. Seems that the hub is registered (the 3.0 hub) and the OTG port as well but no devices are registered unfortunately sad
http://i.imgur.com/Ru9M2Wn.jpg

EDIT 2:
Actually no... It seems that the 3.0 hub is not my hub. This is the output from my laptop with the hub.

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub

EDIT 3:
USB controllers are:

USB controller: Intel Corporation Device 22b5 
USB controller: Intel Corporation Device 22b7

Last edited by kraghot (2016-08-20 17:48:38)

#37 2018-07-01 19:18:14

freq
Website

This is an older thread, I know. Is anyone working on sound over HDMI for this cherry trail processor? What a very fast little economy board this is (up-board) and it's a shame that sound isn't upstream yet. There are outdated patches lying around the internet. Maybe I can learn something, but was hoping the Arch Gods would rain down almighty sound on to me. -- Quad Core Intel Atom x5-Z8350 !

I run Debian, btw.

#38 2018-07-01 19:40:08

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer