You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-29 01:14:34

throwawaytartan

Jupyter notebook python2 kernel crashing

Hey all,

Whenever I run jupyter notebook and create a new notebook with a python2 kernel it keeps giving me the "No module named pickleshare". I've done a bunch of googling but nothing seems to have helped so far. the suggestions have been to reinstall path.py (turns out path.py was initially missing, but that didn't fix it)

I'm not sure if the issue was that initially I had everything installed via pip, then I read that it was better to let pacman handle it all so I deleted everything from pip and moved it to pacman.

Any suggestions as to what to do?

#2 2016-07-29 04:27:30

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: Jupyter notebook python2 kernel crashing

Did the issue also occur when you were using pip?

#3 2016-07-29 14:40:30

throwawaytartan

No it did not, which is a little strange. I could just go back to using pip for python2 and leave python (python3) where it is but I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

#4 2016-07-29 15:12:12

headkase

If you insist on installing with PIP then at the least you should do it in a Virtual Environment.  Otherwise, if you're running PIP as root, you'll end up with files in your system that pacman isn't aware of.  And that is always bad.  When you "removed" all the old files, did you get everything?  Like .pyc files which are generated out of .py files and such?

#5 2016-07-29 15:27:15

throwawaytartan

headkase wrote:

If you insist on installing with PIP then at the least you should do it in a Virtual Environment.  Otherwise, if you're running PIP as root, you'll end up with files in your system that pacman isn't aware of.  And that is always bad.  When you "removed" all the old files, did you get everything?  Like .pyc files which are generated out of .py files and such?

Ahh crap that might have been the issue. I installed them with sudo. I used pip uninstall but that might not have gotten everything. Like there were certain times when I'd try to install the package via pacman and I'd get a package conflict from the same thing- probably indicative that something was left over from pip I'm guessing.

Any ideas on how to proceed? I've been thinking about using pacman -Rdd but I'm worried that ignoring the checks on other packages would cause everything to "fragment" somehow. Should I install python2-pip again and see what is still installed?

EDIT: whelp, after installing python2-pip and trying to run it I get:

"ImportError: The 'packaging.requirements' package is required; normally this is bundled with this package so if you get this warning, consult the packager of your distribution."

Last edited by throwawaytartan (2016-07-29 15:29:54)

Board footer