You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-31 17:16:40

rohanprabhu

Both screens blackout when on multi-monitor setup

So, I have always used my computer with a 2-monitor setup, a 24" monitor (1080p) at 0° and a 24" monitor (1080p) at 270°. It has never been a problem, even if sometimes my roommate just takes the other screen and I'm working with one and then I reconnect the monitor. However, recently I purchased a 28" 2160p (4K) monitor and took an old 23" monitor I had lying around (basically, not using any of those two 24" monitor anymore). I set everything up right, and it was all good including the orientation of the 2nd monitor (at 270°). Then I locked my screen and the screens switched off after sometime, when I came back, both screens were completely dark. Trying everything (including Ctrl+Alt+F[1-12]) showed nothing on the monitors. I SSHed into the machine from my laptop and rebooted the system. The login screen shows up fine, but once I login, both the monitors are completely blank. When I disconnected the 2nd monitor (the one at 270), the display on the first monitor immediately sprung up.

As of now, I can easily reproduce this. Whenever I try to connect the 2nd monitor, both screens go black and when I disconnect it, the 1st monitor (2160p) springs back to life. Once in a while plasma crashes and restarts. I am using a an nVidia GTX 970 and connecting the monitors via a DP and the other via HDMI connector.

Board footer