You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-31 19:12:24

dcbdbis

[SOLVED] VMWare vs VirtualBox for Old Windows Games

Good Afternoon Fellow Archers,

I have got the old Myst series of games that I would like to run again. The App DB at winehq indicates that these games do not run well under wine. My own experience with wine is mixed. I am currently using VirtualBox 5.1.2. I noticed on a Windows 7 VM that I use for business, the 3D support still does not do well for the Aero interface. For whatever reason, it appears that VirtualBox is significantly behind VMWare. And yes, I am installing the VB 3d support in safe mode under Win-7's VM.

It is my understanding that VMWare Player fully supports 3d properly, and does it well.

Before I waste a bunch of time converting my VM's to VMWare Player, I would like to ask the community if I am on the right track.

If I am not understanding properly, please correct me. And feel free to offer suggestions to run these older Windows oriented games.

Thank You!

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

Last edited by dcbdbis (2016-08-01 03:06:54)

#2 2016-07-31 20:20:13

Awebb

Re: [SOLVED] VMWare vs VirtualBox for Old Windows Games

You should try Myst in a Win7 virtualbox setup, before you jump to any conclusions about 3D performance because of Aero. It might save you a lot of time.

#3 2016-08-01 03:06:39

dcbdbis

Re: [SOLVED] VMWare vs VirtualBox for Old Windows Games

VIrtualBox does indeed have problems with 3d (directx) support. The older games would not operate correctly under VB. I downloaded, installed VMWare Player (free version), patched the source to deal with the kernel modules (including the linux-ck kernel), built the modules for both the std kernel, and linux-ck.

I am reporting back that VMWare operates perfectly and the games play correctly.

Hope this information helps others who may want to do similar.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

Board footer