You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-17 05:59:45

alski

cannot get amsn to login

Hey guys - new to arch linux - i've struggled my way through the install and setup and whatnot and really like it - thank you smile.  But I cannot viably use it as of right now because I need amsn to work.  I can get it installed(either from cimi's repo or extras), but both do the same thing - when I try to login, tells me I need to download TLS, then when I click next to do so it gives an error message along the lines of connection refused.
I fought with it for a while, i showed having installed tls cvs files from cimi's repos, had gnutls installed...nothing seemed to help...anyone have this working from a fresh install?
I have since installed ubuntu because I needed amsn for tonight...but i'd love to try arch again this week if anyone has any pointers.

#2 2006-05-17 06:09:06

drakosha
Website

Re: cannot get amsn to login

there's amsn on http://aur.archlinux.org/

#3 2006-05-17 08:29:07

patroclo7

Amsn is in the community repo. Tls is a package in unsupported, you have to download from aur.archlinux.org.
Actually, amsn seems to be unable to work with gnutls and openssl and to need just tls, so I guess that tls should be a dependency (but in order to do so it should be moved to community). I am going to post a comment in the AUR.

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#4 2006-05-17 08:34:31

FUBAR
Website

If you cannot get aMSN to work, you should give Gaim a try. It's in extra so you can just install it using

pacman -S gaim

It supports MSN, Jabber, ICQ, AIM, Y!, ... The only thing you have to check when you're adding your account to Gaim is that you select the proper protocol (it defaults to ICQ/AIM I think).

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#5 2006-05-17 08:51:50

pressh
Developer/TU

patroclo7 wrote:

Amsn is in the community repo. Tls is a package in unsupported, you have to download from aur.archlinux.org.
Actually, amsn seems to be unable to work with gnutls and openssl and to need just tls, so I guess that tls should be a dependency (but in order to do so it should be moved to community). I am going to post a comment in the AUR.

No it should not be a dependency. Amsn asks if it should automatically download tls and store it in ~/.amsn or something like that. However you are free to install tls system wide. 

@alski: Saying it gives an error message will not resolve your problem. Perhaps it's an idea to post the error messages it gives in the console so someone can actually help you. It's working here so it should work for you.
If the only problem is installing tls, you might want to consider installing tls from AUR as a workaround.

#6 2006-05-17 11:41:01

patroclo7

After the choice of linux-x86 as architecture, the displayed error message says:
"Error during instalation of the TLS module: couldn't open socket: connection refused", while the internet connection is in general working. Same error on three different machines (on two different networks).

About the dependency, I understand your point, but I do not think that there is a consistent policy for these situations. Also gaim, when it does not find the required tls stuff, tries to download and install it for the current user. However, the arch package for gaim mentions gnutls as a dependency. And please note that while amsn does not do anything wothout tls, gaim can connect to many other networks (except msn) without gnutls.

In general, I do not see why the installation for a specific user should be preferred for the mere reason that it is automatized.

Anyway, actually you can solve your issue with the tls package in the AUR.

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#7 2006-05-17 14:38:48

pressh
Developer/TU

IC it's a mirror problem. Dunno where the mirror is gone....
here is a patch if you want to rebuild through ABS

tls-source.patch

--- autoupdate.tcl.old  2006-05-17 15:28:58.000000000 +0200
+++ autoupdate.tcl      2006-05-17 15:29:09.000000000 +0200
@@ -83,7 +83,7 @@
        proc downloadTLS {} {
                global tlsplatform

-               set baseurl "http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/amsn/tls1.4.1"
+               set baseurl "http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/tls/tls1.4.1"

if { $tlsplatform == "nodown" } {
                        ::amsn::infoMsg [trans notls]

#8 2006-05-17 21:23:52

alski

thank you patro!  That is the exact error message.  Sorry pressh, I get easily frustrated and had overwritten arch by that point...thanks for the workaround  i'll sure give that a try in a bit.
As for GAIM, I use it and LOVE it, but at certain times need webcam support.  I only wish GAIM-vv would come into real fruition.
Thanks again all.

Board footer