You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-04 20:10:55

SirMyztiq

static in headphones, buzzing when mouse moves, webcam mic broken

Hello!

I was messing with my sound settings last night after I found that if I wanted to use my motherboard's integrated headphone amp, I should probably plug them in to the rear LINE OUT.  I also had this buzzing sound on my headphones, so I messed in alsamixer and found that the "loopback" option gave bad static. Fixed. Clear no-sound. I then started looking for an equalizer, installed pulseaudio-equalizer, couldn't get it to work so I uninstalled it. I then started reading a little deeper into pulseaudio, alsa, phonon and their relationships. Foolishly I uninstalled pulseaudio-alsa bc I figured I didn't need it. I have Plasma and it uses it by default. I then went to bed.

This morning I updated Arch and it's goodies. Hopped on a Hangouts and my webcam mic wouldn't pick up sound. It wouldn't even show as an option. Not only that, every time I move my mouse, there is this buzzing sound and there is also a slight static sound always on. I deleted pulseaudio-equalizer's leftovers in ~/.settings/pulse directory. I reset all the Settings > Multimedia options in Plasma. My mic shows up now after I configured HD Pro Webcam C920 as a device and "Analog Stereo Input" but still, the mic doesn't pick up any sound. I tried alsamixer again but because I uninstalled pulseaudio-alsa, it deleted the asound.conf. I created a new one and put this.

# Use PulseAudio by default
pcm.!default {
  type hw 
  card PCH
}

ctl.!default {
  type hw
  card PCH
}

# vim:set ft=alsaconf:

alsamixer worked again. But I couldn't not get the mic to work again. I have the MIC for the camera at Capture 100%, it's configured under my Settings in Plasma and it shows up as an option in Chrome. But it does not pick up sound. Video does fine, but not sound.

I feel like these issues are related. I must have done something that is causing this static noise, some sort of MIC setting leftover somewhere or something I'm not seeing. It's blocking the C920's mic from working and creating interference. All the Capture options are at 00 for the PCH default. I tried moving every setting on it but nothing works. I also tried setting the Default Capture device as stated here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ad … hone_input

Nothing. The motherboard I have is the http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc … id=4959#ov And I'm using the rear Line Out which can be used with headphones. I have the webcam, a Naga Epic and CODE keyboard hooked up via USB. I'm running Plasma. All updated this morning.

Thanks in advance for the help. Let me know what all you guys need to see.

Last edited by SirMyztiq (2016-08-04 20:14:16)

#2 2016-08-05 05:04:47

atomicbeef

Re: static in headphones, buzzing when mouse moves, webcam mic broken

Hi @SirMyztiq,

I had an issue like this with my headset (a Turtlebeach X12, which uses USB for power) and I solved it by plugging the USB into a separate USB hub. I'm not sure if this will work for you, but if you do have a USB headset, it's worth a try.

#3 2016-08-05 15:05:49

SirMyztiq

Re: static in headphones, buzzing when mouse moves, webcam mic broken

atomicbeef wrote:

Hi @SirMyztiq,

I had an issue like this with my headset (a Turtlebeach X12, which uses USB for power) and I solved it by plugging the USB into a separate USB hub. I'm not sure if this will work for you, but if you do have a USB headset, it's worth a try.

My headphones aren't USB though. They plug straight into the jack at the rear of the PC. The webcam is USB and I moved it a few times.

Board footer