You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-06 11:18:13

Adikso

Unity - upstart-dconf-bridge, unity7 killed on start

I have Unity installed as my DE. Unity requires adding applications tray icons to whitelist if you want to see them if they are not using Unity specific api. I wanted to whitelist specified applications, but i kept forgetting key name in dconf. So i installed dconf-editor from arch repository and then the problem happened.

After installing dconf-editor and editing com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist and restarting, unity is not working correctly anymore. Gui is not showing app. Applications works but they are without titlebars, and there is no unity dock. I reverted this setting to default but problem still occurs.

.xsession-errors contains following log after login:

upstart: upstart-dconf-bridge main process (804) killed by KILL signal

And after restarting unity those lines are added to log file:

upstart: indicator-power main process (961) killed by TERM signal
upstart: indicator-session main process (966) killed by TERM signal
upstart: indicator-datetime main process (962) killed by TERM signal
upstart: indicator-application main process (1028) killed by TERM signal
upstart: indicator-printers main process (965) killed by TERM signal
upstart: unity7 main process (900) killed by ABRT signal

I think that installing dconf-editor might be the cause of this problem as first line is about dconf-bridge. I'm also not sure if it's unity or arch realted problem. I'm using Unity-for-Arch.

I switched from Ubuntu to ArchLinux and installed Unity few days ago (tried others DE but i like unity the most). Reinstalling it again and installing apps and configuring everything would be a pain.

What should i do? Where i can find more logs about cause of dconf-bridge termination?
I tried a lot of ubuntu specific solutions (because not much of arch users use unity..) but they are not helping.

Thanks

Last edited by Adikso (2016-08-06 11:19:49)

#2 2016-12-11 12:29:48

horsemanoffaith

Re: Unity - upstart-dconf-bridge, unity7 killed on start

The only thing I can recommend it rebuilding from source. It's a pain and it takes a long time, but I did it today and Unity is working correctly. You can find the Unity build order here:

https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-for-Arch

I have my own Github page with a very similar build, but my goal with that build is to put all the Unity packages on the AUR, so some of the packages/package names are different from Chenxiaolong's, but they are still based on his work. Here's mine if you're interested.

https://github.com/horsemanoffaith/Unity-for-Arch

Cheers!

Board footer