You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-06 01:10:10

HK

[SOLVED] Hybrid-graphics with ATI/Nvidia cards and a virtual machine

Good eve,
I got a dual-boot setup with Arch and winblows 10 both on x64 and intend to use arch mainly and windows for(if) gaming.
My gaming graphics card is a Nvidia GTX970 and i got an old ATI radeon 4850 and i wanted to setup a virtualization to use the ati card for linux and the nvidia passed through to the vm to use for gaming and when only working with linux i want to use the nvidia card.
I read some articles and wiki parts considering the hybrid-graphics but im not sure if it even works with 2 different vendors.
Mainly i would like to know if its possible before i start tinkering around and maybe f* it all up since im not the long time advanced linux user to jump right into it.
Is it generally possible with for example bumblebee or any other tool?
And is it possible with a physical disk instead of a virtual(VMWare for example supports physical disks)?
And if it is possible i would appreciate some hits/links to valuable sources to dig in.
Also there would then be the question which virtualization software would be best for this particular case^^ but one after the other.
Any help would be appreciated and if any more specs are needed please ask for them that i can list them.
Cheers,
H

for a brief summary:
Host(Arch) with ATI card while Guest(Windows) with Nvidia card is active
and Host(Arch) with Nvidia card while guest is powered off

Last edited by HK (2016-08-06 19:29:29)

#2 2016-08-06 02:12:22

Xabre

Re: [SOLVED] Hybrid-graphics with ATI/Nvidia cards and a virtual machine

Hybrid graphics is something that's relevant almost exclusively on laptops (on desktops really makes little sense). If you have two video cards, and both have their own video outputs to the monitor(s), all you need to do is to set up a vga passthrough in virtual machine for one of those cards.

Last edited by Xabre (2016-08-06 02:12:49)

#3 2016-08-06 15:54:54

HK

ok thank you so i will try to get it working^^
are there any recommendations which virtualization software is most performant with a single vm for gaming?

#4 2016-08-06 15:57:32

Xabre

I prefer libvirt with either virt-manager or gnome-boxes. Virtualbox is a valid option as well. Up to you.

#5 2016-08-06 19:28:58

HK

ty so i suppose my problems are solved for now :>
maybe some occur while i try to get it working but then i open a new thread.
solved

Board footer